General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aloha from Hawaii! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-21 1:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Subject: Aloha from Hawaii!
Hi everyone - just wanted to introduce myself and get my feet wet so to speak. I am the newbie of all newbie triathletes, let me assure you!! At present I don't even own a bike (that will be changed as of tomorrow), I can run about 2 miles if you give me 35 minutes, and put me in water and you're at least gonna get a few laughs as I flail around like a wounded duck. Well, you'll laugh, and then you'll dive in to prevent my untimely drowning.

It is exactly for that reason I need to do a triathlon! To get/keep my 31 yr old butt in shape, since most of the time I'm more inclined to do activities such as photography, cooking, movies, etc. Worthy endeavors, but I need the change of pace.

The run and bike I will be able to handle in time. What scares me most is the swim. I am considering getting a few private lessons to go over technique and style before starting to train on my own. The race I have my eye on is in October, which is plenty of time, but it's not the smallest of sprints: 650m swim, 30k bike and 4.5mile run. Sounds absolutely terrifying right now, but hopefully by then I'll be a new man.

Any tips for a COMPLETE beginner?!?!

Thanks!!

Rob

2005-04-21 1:35 PM
in reply to: #145991

Northern KY
Subject: RE: Aloha from Hawaii!
hello fellow newbie! I have signed up for a duathlon in June and don't feel as scared about the race now, not the same feelings as 4 weeks ago. The best advice I can give you is to read every article from this website, I have found the information priceless. I have no friends, family or even acquaintances that have any knowledge about multi-sport events, so this website has been so helpful.

One more very very important tip, get padded bike shorts!!!! Although the terrible pain in your rear is going to happen anyway, they help some. Don't worry though, the pain goes away and from what I am told, will never come back.

Best of luck!!

Natalie
2005-04-21 1:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Hey Natalie! Yes, I most definitely have my eye on a really good pair of padded shorts!! I think I may invest the $100 or so into a seat upgrade as well. We'll see. Already have the bike picked out, so it's just a matter of the small stuff now.

Do I need a bike computer? That was one thing I've been wondering about...

Rob

ps - good luck yourself!

Edited by rheros 2005-04-21 1:47 PM
2005-04-21 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
welcome!  Read the articles, search the forums, and post your questions!  there will be an answer!  Good luck in your training!
2005-04-21 1:54 PM
in reply to: #146029

Northern KY
I would definitely recommend a computer, I use that a lot for my training. I have found it also helps me track my running miles or computing distances of new running paths. Not knowing much about training for cycling, since I haven't ridden a bike since I was 13, the most important thing about cycling is your cadence. You are supposed to stay within an 80-100 range. I usually count for 15 sec. and it should be no lower than 19. This may feel too fast at first, but you'll get used to it. Just try and aim to maintain this speed. As I have learned from this website. You can ride much longer pedaling faster with less resistance than pedaling slower with more resistance. There are some good articles about this in the training section.

Natalie
2005-04-21 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona

Welcome to the insanity!  Don't fear, I too started much like you - with no experience.  Actually, I still don't have any experience with competing; first tri is next Saturday.  But, with training comes confidence and improved skill and technique.

Everyone here at BT.com is here for support and to provide whatever support they can provide.

Enjoy - see in the forums and BT blogger!

- Tim

2005-04-23 12:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Hi everyone! Thanks for the introductions and support. Seems like this is a *fantastic* community, so I'm excited to become a part of it. Just got my bike yesterday, so I'm ready to start rollin'!!

Rob

2005-04-23 9:04 PM
in reply to: #146994

Welcome

I did my first tri event last summer. It was about half the distance of yours (I plan to work up to that distance this year). The swim part was the most nervewracking event for me too. I made up for it though by doing a lot of pool swims before heading to open water. (I'm from 3 1/2 hours north of Toronto, Ontario so I didn't have much choice). I would definitely suggest getting lessons or stroke correction - before you start putting any significant distance in the pool so that you don't have to unlearn any bad habits. Supposedly swimming is all about comfort (or in many cases lack thereof) and technique. A lot of your time should be spent on drills and not so much on distance.

Happy training.
2005-04-23 11:01 PM
in reply to: #147120

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
runningslug - 2005-04-23 3:04 PM

Welcome

I did my first tri event last summer. It was about half the distance of yours (I plan to work up to that distance this year). The swim part was the most nervewracking event for me too. I made up for it though by doing a lot of pool swims before heading to open water. (I'm from 3 1/2 hours north of Toronto, Ontario so I didn't have much choice). I would definitely suggest getting lessons or stroke correction - before you start putting any significant distance in the pool so that you don't have to unlearn any bad habits. Supposedly swimming is all about comfort (or in many cases lack thereof) and technique. A lot of your time should be spent on drills and not so much on distance.

Happy training.

My primary fear is that maybe that isn't a good starting length race for me. There are other sprints here in Hawaii that are shorter - 300m swim, 20k bike, 5k run - but unfortunately they are all early season so I'd have to wait almost an entire year!! I think for the next 1-2 months until I move I will focus on general fitness - running more and getting used to the new bike. When I'm settled in July I will get some swimming instruction and start training in earnest. That gives me about 10 weeks of solid training. Might not be enough, but if isn't I'll just keep training through the winter (easy enough in Hawaii!) and aim for spring.

I think at this point, getting off the couch and into a general fitness-oriented frame of mind is really 80% of the battle for me.

Rob
2005-05-19 9:32 PM

User image

, Hawaii
Aloha rheros,

I'm in Honolulu also. Live in Nuuanu, and am also 31. As far as tips are concerned, if you have the time, you may want to look into training groups like Brian Clarke's or Team Jet. They probably just started their Tinman training group. I got started with Brian Clarke's training group three years ago. It's a good motivation to workout if you know you've paid for your workout sessions

BTW, I can't help but ask...what kind of bike did you get?

-Allen

Edited by agaliza 2005-05-19 9:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aloha from Hawaii! Rss Feed