General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question regarding transistion with cycling shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-19 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: Question regarding transistion with cycling shoes
I have Specialized Sport Road shoes fitted for Speedplay X Series pedals. The shoes have 3 Velcro straps. I have already decided that I will connect the 3 straps with a single string/strap where one pull will pull all three straps. I have found though that moving around in these shoes is VERY difficult. So I have 2 questions:

1. How does one put the shoes on after the swim and walk/run with the bike? Are the shoes already mounted to the bike and you slip your feet in?

2. After the ride, do you dismount with the shoes on and then remove the shoes to replace them with your running shoes?

I am trying to map out how to best work my transitions with the equipment I have. Otherwise, I may put the cages on and ride with my running shoes on.

Peter

2004-03-19 8:34 PM
in reply to: #13356

Subject: RE: Question regarding transistion with cycling shoes

Here's what I do.

I don't feel confident (or competent) enough to attach shoes to pedals. So I put some foot powder in my bike shoes ahead of time, quickly (and somewhat partially) dry my feet after the swim. Slip bare feet (no socks) into bike shoes, strap and go.

I do wear socks to run, so I take the time after the bike to put on the socks. It works better for me this way because after the swim my feet are not totally dry and I find it a bit harder to put socks on damp feet. After the bike, feet are drier and socks go on easier. Some also take out any shoestrings (if there are any) from the bike shoes and use only the velcro to close 'em up.

Nancy

2004-03-19 9:27 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
i've been debating this question also.

the time different gained w/shoes clipped onto pedals is very minimal vs. the damage one could do if a crash occurs (which apparently does happen) or another mistake due to fumbling w/straps while coasting.

2004-03-19 9:39 PM

, Alabama

Usually I keep my shoes on my pedals and don/doff them on the bike.  I am very comfortable doing that because even on a short trainng ride I keep the shoes on the pedals for practice(saves me from trying to find the shoes, since I keep my stuff in the garage near the kids' stuff!).  I really feel it saves me a decent amount of time, possibly psychological.  I have Diadora shoes that only have two velcro straps though.  I wasn't sure what I'd do with 3 so I figured those would be safe.

Sharon

2004-03-19 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
I was practicing puting my shoes on and taking them off while on my trainer this year. I don't think I am ready to do that in a race. I can't see it saveing me much time. I will get my shoes on much faster when I am standing still. I can also make sure my feet are clean from dirt and small stones. As for running with bike shoes, stay on you toes. It is loud and not comfortable, but it gets the job done.
2004-03-20 12:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
thats a great idea sharon! im going to leave my shoes on my bike from now on for practice. I had this problem too before my 2 triathlons on thursday and friday... but i took a chance and left them on my bike as i needed all the time i could save (especially in the teams sprint tri). turns out I was quite good at it too . I have the same problem with my three strap shoes, i do up the velco on the bottom 2 straps loose enough to fit my foot in, and then fold the tongue between my 3rd strap and the shoe so it doesnt get in the way, and then do up the velco as loose as it can go. the loose 3rd strap also does a really good job of keeping my shoes in place by resting on the crank and chain stay. I saw another rider put a thin elastic band from one heal to the other to hold them in place, and then it just flicked of after he mount the bike. I just did up my third strap in the race and left the other 2 fairly loose... it did the job for 20km

.::aidan::.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question regarding transistion with cycling shoes Rss Feed