General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kinda dumb question - dental work and working out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-11 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Kinda dumb question - dental work and working out?
I had a root canal yesterday, fun fun!  Well after the dental fun, I mentioned to a friend that it was speedwork day and that I was going to run later.  She is training for a marathon and said that she had a root canal a couple of months ago and did a 5-miler that night and an 11-miler a couple of days later and each night was in excruciating pain.  She called her dentist and he told her that he didn't recommend exercise after that type of procedure because it gets the blood pumping and can cause that pain.

Have you heard this?  I ended up walking on the dreadmill instead, but I was hoping to hit my lunchtime spin class today and swim tonight.  I also have my long run tomorrow night.  I hate missing workouts!!!  Undecided

2009-06-11 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2209596

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Subject: RE: Kinda dumb question - dental work and working out?
I had some pretty extensive dental work done and did a bike race a few hours after. The only side effect (which was positive) was that the blood flow helped bring the feeling back to my numb mouth. Drinking, in the early early stages of the ride was comical. I spilled about as much as a drank. I felt like my one year old.
2009-06-11 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

This just happened to me as well.  I had a temporary crown put in yesterday afternoon.  When I was getting ready to leave, I asked the dentist if there would be a problem with me running 3-4 miles later.  She just informed me to take it easy, and if I experienced any pain, to stop.  Ran 3 1/2 miles w/o an issue.

Guess it all depends on the type of work.  I agree about trying to drink with a numb mouth.  Frustrating.

2009-06-11 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks for the responses.  I'll give the spin class a try and see what happens.

Yes, I hate the numb feeling.  I had to drink out of a straw until about 8 pm yesterday!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kinda dumb question - dental work and working out? Rss Feed