General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I not hate to run? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-20 7:30 AM

Veteran
Currently: San Diego CA
Subject: How do I not hate to run?
I hate to run. I don't know how to state it more simply than that. I'm just getting into Tri's. I've never done one before. But I like to swim and bike. Hate to run. Why?

- I am slow. I mean damn slow. Old people pass me in the walkers when I jog slow.
- It hurts. First I'm out of breath faster than when I do anything else. I can swim and bike for much longer and not get as winded. I can run for 3 minutes and feel chest pains! Then my leg muscles hurt. Sure, I'm a fat ass, but I don't think they should be getting as tired as fast as they are.
- Did I mention I'm slow and it hurts? 'nuff said.

So, how do I overcome these barriers? Right now it's pretty frustrating.

CRASH

2004-03-20 9:04 AM
in reply to: #13393

Regular
Colorado
Subject: RE: How do I not hate to run?
I hear you... I've always been a slow runner, nickname "leadbottom" since I was a kid. But I love to swim and bike, like you, so I started making myself run. I tried to follow the couch to 5K plan available on this website. It starts with lots of walking and just gradually adds in jogging. I was able to go from being winded at 3 minutes, to being able to sustain 2-3 miles at a time. Some days I walk in between, but I figure at least I'm still doing it. I take inspiration from my friend who does a 2:50 marathon: she started her post-baby training by jogging 5 minutes only and walking the rest. She built up to 26 miles at a pace of about 6:30. Now I don't have the genes to achieve that, but giving myself a break to walk when I need to helps, and sure enough, gradually, I am improving. Slow and steady! Good luck, Kim P.S. I still don't LOVE running, but I do LIKE improving :-)

Edited by kimber 2004-03-20 9:13 AM
2004-03-20 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
First, congrats on the effort to be fit! Many years ago I was in the same place as you. I can tell you now that running is now my favorite exercise to do-I love the feeling of gliding/advanced plodding on almost every run. I'm no Kenyan, but just want to relay that progress is inevitable if you keep up the practice.

Running is probably the toughest of the 3 disciplines to be accomplished while carrying extra weight around. This applies to almost everyone, be it 5 extra pounds or 50! In the water and bike your body weight is supported by water and the bike respectively, so swim and bike seem easier.

Picture an elite marathoner moving 'effortlessly.' Now picture that same person running with a 45lb plate and you'll get the idea of what happens to pace as well as the extra stress on the weak parts, knees and lower back mostly. So for running, less weight is better.

To carry less weight:

Step 1: don't get injured. you can't train if you're injured.
Step 2: make sure you don't get injured.
Step 3: run only as long as it's not painful-even if that is only 5-10 minutes before walking. If you get really winded (assuming no asthma/heart problems) while doing it, great. That's part of the game.
Step 4: make the bulk of your training for now cycling, then swimming. Running is better than both for weight loss, but keep the time low so that you can follow the next step...
Step 5: don't get injured
Step 6: overhaul your diet to maximize the benefits of training. Training alone won't get you there.

Good luck,
Scott

2004-03-20 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
My wife had problems with the run. First thing we did was find her the right shoes (Nike Shox work out pretty well for her.) She started running on the track, alternating running and walking, gradually increasing distance ran and decreasing the distance walked.

As for the speed issue. A lot of supporters on the sight are looking to finish a TRI and are not worried about times. When I was doing TRIs back in the 80s, I saw people walking to the finish line (hey they finished)...I had a couple of last place finishes myself.

Chest pains? Talked to a Dr?
2004-03-20 9:38 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
Get your shoes checked as mentioned and maybe try running in a park on a grassy surface. When I weighed 40lbs more than I do now running on the road killed me. When I ran on the grass it didn't hurt as much and I was able to build some endurance, leg strength and lose weight so that when I transitioned over to running on the road it was much easier.

Mike
2004-03-20 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
First, get a good pair of running shoes; consult with your local running club for the best shop. After you have the right shoes, learn to plant your feet in a rolling motion from the heel to the ball of the foot and push off from there to the next step. Swing your arms rythmically as you walk/run and bring your hands just a fraction under your chin; it looks silly but it is quite effective. The faster you swing your arms the faster your walk/running pace will be. Start by walking, then fast walking, then alternating between fast walking and jogging until you can finally run. While you run, consentrate wholly on your breathing; that is the most important aspect of the run portion. Inhale on a count of four, exhale on a count of four (three as you speed up) in time with your footfalls. Make sure you expell all the air you can before breathing in again; this will reduce that side stitch. While you are walikng/running think of the distances you are running, your pace, the various signs and houses you see along your route, that recipe you want to try, the ingredients you are missing, that proposal you are woking on, anything that will engage your mind and make your run a pleasant distraction. I look upon running as watching the "tv" of my mind while your body is in motion instead of on a couch.

Edited by Machiavelo 2004-03-20 10:20 AM

2004-03-20 11:18 AM

I am a HATER of running!!

I could never quite believe that shoes would or could make a difference in the (somewhat) comfort and injury prevention. My complaints about running to any of my runner friends always brought the first question of "what shoes are you wearing?". I didn't heed this advice for a while, then when shin splints got the best of me I went to a running shoe store. Now my first question to you would be "what shoes are you wearing?".

That in additon to walking and slow jogging until you can do it WITHOUT injury is great advice. Do not try to do too much too soon (like I did and developed painful shin splints that have taken a long time to heal).

Good luck.

2004-03-21 1:11 PM

Veteran
I did 2 and a half miles tonight. It wasn't too bad. I felt strong for the first mile, but then got slower and weaker through the second. I really feel the work in my hips and calfs. It's pain, but not a bad pain. Just a "jeez, you suck at running" pain.

I suppose I should just keep on keepin on to get better.
2004-03-21 1:13 PM

Veteran
As far as shoes... They aren't street running shoes. They are actually trail running shoes, sorta. But I use them for everything athletic. I suppose I should look into getting some exclusive running shoes, considering so many people have already mentioned this.
2004-03-21 2:31 PM

New user

I'm pretty new to running and other than the weight/pain issues I also get so bored - living in the midwest I end up doing a lot of time on the treadmill. So, I play little games with myself. Warm up for five minutes at one speed, bump it up one point every two or three minutes, back to the starting speed.

I know this goes against the science true runners use -steady state, interval, tempo runs or whatever. But, it helps break up the time and makes it go faster.
2004-03-21 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Mike - Your last post is a real clue - visit a good shoe store and let them fit you for running shoes. I was where you are no long ago at all - thought, "Dang! I'm never going to get the run at this pace - 3 min. and winded...) So do intervals - warm up five - ten min - then jog just until you get a little winded - then walk 'til you recover - make it walk/run walk/run etc. etc. and increase the run part ONLY when you feel comfortable - your times of running will increase. Instead of fighting the run by pushing it - begin to relax and do the intervals. it WILL come - I did a 40 mile run a week ago and it was fine. Chest pains? Get checked!

Hang in!

2004-03-21 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I was EXACTLY where you were only two months ago. With new/fitted running shoes and stubborn determination, I have increased my distance from a mere 100yds to about 3.5 miles. While I probably am not experiencing the "runner's high" I hear so much about, I get exhilarated at the fact that I am overcoming personal obstacles.

Just keep plugging away. It will come. Just remember...first we crawl, then we walk, and then we run.

Just Keep Swimming
2004-03-22 12:55 AM

I am bit of an odd ball- I love running.
I suggest that you enter some running events. Join a running club or find a group to run with.
The trick is to be consistant - try to run 4-5 times a week, run/walk initially. You will find that after a couple of weeks you will probally start enjoying it. I live in South Africa, my favorate running event comes up in June "Comrades mathon". Try this site (www.comrades.com)
Get some running magazines, check out the running sites for training tips.

Keep it up, it will come.

2004-03-22 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Hey Crash, you cannot run on pavement with trail shoes, especially if you are carrying extra weight. Here's why: trail shoes are built for stability and support, because the ground you are running on is tricky. Trail shoes are usually pretty firm. Running on the road is completely different. The ground is very hard and very flat so the thing you need the most from your shoes is cushioning, then support if you pronate or supinate.

GET OUT of the trail shoes and get into some road shoes, or run on grass only! Then, do as everyone is advising and run/walk/run... Soon you will love running just as I do! :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I not hate to run? Rss Feed