General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration/electrolytes - When not training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-11 12:30 PM

Regular
Round Lake, Illinois
Subject: Hydration/electrolytes - When not training
I am new to the longer distance tris, and slowly working through my nutrition/hydration needs while training. My question is more about the time between training sessions. I am wondering if I am restoring those electrolites to prepare me for the next session.

I drink a good amount of water during my day (80 - 100 oz, not including during exercise), but not much else besides the water. I believe that drinking just water during exercise can also have an adverse affect on electrolytes. So is it possible that I am not "recharging" those electrolytes between sessions?

To make matters worse, I am a heavy salt sweater. The kind of guy that has crusty white helmet straps and look like I was playing at a white sand beach after a good hot weather work out. Do you all include added electrolytes (ie Endurolytes) between training sessions?

Thanks,
Eric

2009-06-11 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2210742

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Hydration/electrolytes - When not training
Are you eating a good diet?  Unlikely you will have a probelm "restoring" your electrolyte balance if so.

White helmet straps are not a clear indication that you are a heavy salt sweater.  It means you are sweating and water is evaporating (a good thing as that helps cool you), leaving the salt behind.

Taking Endurolytes between training sessions seems like a waste of money.  Put an extra dash of salt on your food if you want.
2009-06-11 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2210742

User image

Subject: RE: Hydration/electrolytes - When not training
Take a look at the top of the forums and you'll see "SALT and the Triathlete" as a link. Taking more table salt is expressly NOT suggested.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

I'm a heavy sweater and generally run/bike with HEED rather than plain water. That seems to work well for me. I take endurolytes during workouts when it's over about 75 degrees but not between workouts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration/electrolytes - When not training Rss Feed