General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike for a shorty - Felt or Orbea? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-11 5:23 PM

User image

Subject: Tri bike for a shorty - Felt or Orbea?
I am looking to purchase my first tri bike, and am curious about other people's opinions on what seems to fit best for short women.  I am only 5'3", and neither my legs nor my body are particularly long (I am long waisted, which doesn't help on the bike at all).  I would probably say that compared to other people my height I have a short reach and average-length legs.  I have been looking at Felt (probably the B2), but am considering an Orbea (maybe the Ora, perhaps but unlikely the Ordu), and have also been considering Quintana Roo (the Caliente).  I want a bike that I can grow into so that I won't be looking to upgrade again in 2 years, and also one that fits really well and is very comfortable.  But I am still new to biking and don't want something that will be too much bike for me either.  I am leaning toward the Felt, but I like the bike shop that sells the Orbeas better, and I'm being swayed in that direction because of that.  I have ridden a B12 briefly and an aluminum QR, but won't be able to ride the Orbeas.  Any thoughts?

2009-06-11 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2211822

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Tri bike for a shorty - Felt or Orbea?
Unfortunately I have no advice for you, but felt the need to commiserate with you.  I'm starting shopping for my first tri bike, and am similarly befuddled by all of the possibilities out there.
2009-06-12 1:47 AM

First, I will say if you are going to spend that much on a bike, you need to get a proper fit done.  As far as these particular bikes go, the Felt/QR have a steeper geometry than the Orbea, which will effect your position on the bike.  Also, at your height, there is a good chance that you will be on one of the smaller frame sizes.  Felt and Quintanna Roo spec these with a smaller 650c wheel.  It appears the Orbea will have a larger "standard" size 700c wheel.  This will make a big difference in handling.   
2009-06-13 6:41 PM

User image

Thanks for weighing in!  Right now I am leaning towards the Felt because I've heard that it handles and corners better than the Orbea, even with the 650s.  I know lots of people on 650s who love them, so I'm not concerned about it.  The geometry concerns me a bit, but at this point I just have to make a decision, and the felt i rode was pretty comfortable.  I'll le you know how it goes!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike for a shorty - Felt or Orbea? Rss Feed