General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experienced Runr: Shin Pains Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-12 8:35 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Experienced Runr: Shin Pains
I've been running for years but just recently started getting pains in the shins, both legs, during the firs half mile or so. It goes away, e.g., during a 10 mile run. I switched to a new pair of shoes & have not switched my runnning gait (I'm a forefoat lander).

This ever happen to any experienced runner? (I never thought I'd be posting this!)

2009-06-12 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2212831

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Experienced Runr: Shin Pains
I come from a running background, and I used to suffer from chronic minor shin splints. Then I changed shoes, and haven't had shin splints in years.

When I say I changed shoes, I went from a semi-curved to a straight shoe (more suited to my foot shape).

If you had no shin problems, then you changed shoes, and now you have problems, I'd say it almost has to be your shoes. Even if they are "comfortable" they could still be the cause problems.

JC

2009-06-12 10:09 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Porfirio - 2009-06-12 6:35 AM I've been running for years but just recently started getting pains in the shins, both legs, during the firs half mile or so. It goes away, e.g., during a 10 mile run. I switched to a new pair of shoes & have not switched my runnning gait (I'm a forefoat lander).

This ever happen to any experienced runner? (I never thought I'd be posting this!)

New shoes as in different brand or model? Or same brand/model?

Breaking in shoes isn't as important as it used to be, but I still like to do it. Also, if it's the same brand/model, compare it to your old pair, and see if there isn't a redesign or some other difference.

I agree, it's probably something in the shoes.

John
2009-06-12 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2213154

User image

DC
"New shoes as in different brand or model? Or same brand/model?"

Woops, I was sloppy. I started getting shin pains (both legs) w/my old shoes (Asics 2100 [w/2 marathons, 2 HIMs, 1 oly., & about 450 miles]) & THEN switched to Asics Keyanos 14's & am still experienced the pains. I've used Keyanos for yrs. & only experimented w/the 2100's b/c of the price difference. And again, the pains dissapear w/in the first mile. Naturally, I'm afraid something bigger is going on. Weird, I know.
2009-06-12 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Is the pain on your inner or outer shins (medial or anterior)?  If it's anterior, you can probably help yourself out by massaging or using The Stick on the muscle to loosen it up.  I have a chiro that does ART and she can work out this kind of pain in about one session.

If it's medial, be careful.  It could just be medial tibial stress syndrome, or it could get worse.  This year, I had the same sort of issue (a little pain at first, but then it would "go away" after a few minutes of running).  I started running on soft surfaces, icing, taping when I ran...and it still persisted.  My doc had me get xrays (negative), but then sent me to a sports med doc for more evaluation.  I had a bone scan and it turns out it was a stress fracture.  No running for almost 2 months, and then a whole lot longer to work back up to previous mileage.

I've been running for about 11 years and this was my first major injury.
2009-06-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2213209

Elite
Laurium, MI
Porfirio - 2009-06-12 11:22 AM

[w/2 marathons, 2 HIMs, 1 oly., & about 450 miles])

You've trained for and ran 2 marathon, 2 HIMs, and 1 oly on a grand total (including races) of 450 miles of running? Did you do these races on back to back weekends or something?

I'm not super familiar with the 2100's, but I used to run in 2110's, and they died by 400 miles. I'm not going to guess what the exact issue is, but I'm willing to bet it started out by running in worn out shoes (possibly exaggerated by 2 marathons and 2 HIM's on realistically low training volume). New shoes don't instantly cure injuries, even if it was a shoe problem. The new shoes may be just what you need, but you won't know until you are healed. Definitely take some time off and see a PT if you can.

2009-06-12 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2213460

User image

DC
Thank you all for your replies. Races were not back-to-back. The 450 miles was the total, over several months. To the stress fracture & the like possibilities, I also feel an annoying pain in right where the shoes ends and the forefoot begins. Again, both legs. This usu. does stop if I stop & stretch out my calfs.

In all, I agree that time off & a PT is in call.
2009-06-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2213649

User image

DC
"I also feel an annoying pain in right where the shoes ends and the forefoot begins."

Strike that, I meant "where the shoes ends & the front of the ankle begins".
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experienced Runr: Shin Pains Rss Feed