General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another recovery week, heavy legs thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-15 11:36 AM

Master
Subject: Another recovery week, heavy legs thread
Last week was a recovery week for me. I took it pretty easy as the plan said. The problem I'm having is my legs feel like lead/jello. I've read a bunch of the recovery week threads and see other peple have experienced the same thing.

I basically have a couple of more weeks of "heavy" training and then I begin the taper, I don't want my legs to feel like this going into race day. They feel restless and sort of tired. I went for a run, they felt like lead for the first half then turned to jello (magic, huh).

Any advice, tips, or other stuff

2009-06-15 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2218526

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Another recovery week, heavy legs thread
There's nothing in your logs to help anyone figure this out for you. 

You can either (a) press onward and see if your legs feel better or (b) take some more rest for your legs.  We have no way of knowing what "heavy" or "recovery" is and how it relates to any of the trainning you have done before leading into it.  So any "stuff" people throw out are going to be wild guesses based on their own experience which may or may not be applicable to you. 

But, generally, during a recovery week your legs may feel tired from the accumulated fatigue of the harder weeks.  After a recovery week, they should feel pretty good.
2009-06-15 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

x2 on the lack of logs making it difficult to offer any kind of constructive advice.

Without knowing that you did during your heavy weeks and your recovery week, not much to add.

Personally, the first few workouts after a recovery week/rest day feel a bit off for me.  Also, your taper should not be structured the same as a recovery week.  They have quite different objectives.

2009-06-17 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2218712

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
JohnnyKay - 2009-06-15 1:30 PM

So any "stuff" people throw out are going to be wild guesses based on their own experience which may or may not be applicable to you. 

Here's my "stuff" -- which as suggested above is just a wild guess based on what works for me.  If I'm confident that I'm recovered (i.e., the heavy feeling is not due to accumulated fatigue and lack of proper recovery), then I run a couple of faster miles (just above 5K pace, for example).  This often 'wakes me up' and makes my legs feel better.
2009-06-17 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
What is the definition of 'heavy' for you? Have you progessively and consistantly trained to this amount?

Or has training been in a 'too' heavy(for your body) cycle followed by a crashing down as the load catches up to your body and it breaks down, forcing you to recover whether you want to or not, and this can definitly last longer than the usual recovery week. This can be a vicious cycle of heavy training week followed by a really bad week-repeated over and over.

Couple things that work for me to 'freshen up' is I roll my legs on a foam roller every day. Look closely at nutrition. Are you getting enough quality calories? I had a couple weak weeks in May and realized I wasn't eating enough to support 'end stage' HIM training. Increased food made a huge difference.

Also, rest needs to be a priority.

Good luck!
2009-06-22 8:29 AM

I just bought a book called the athletes guide to yoga. By Sage Roundtree

One of the poses has you place your legs up the wall with your but up against the wall so you are in an L shape. This helps drain the Lactic acid from your legs.

It really feels great! try it.

2009-06-23 7:05 AM

User image

Two things I do for heavy legs/restless legs:  1.)  Ice baths.  Fill your bath tub with cold water and dump in ice.  Then grab Triathlete magazine and jump in.  I usually use a stop watch and try to stay in for a minimum of 15 mins.  10 mins is usually enough, but 20 mins is awesome.  Oh, the shock goes away after 2 mins. 

2.) I wear Zoot CompressRX Recovery pants.  They cost $150 bucks BUT are worth every penny.  They are close to medical grade compression stockings that promote blood circulation back to the heart which accelerates Recovery, diminishing restless leg syndrome and making the legs feel less heavy. 

3.) Oh, and it also helps (just in general) when I keep my legs elevated. 

These three things Recovered my legs 100% during my Recovery weeks for my HIM training this year.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another recovery week, heavy legs thread Rss Feed