Rocky Mountain Triathlon
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 16s
Overall Rank = 184/504
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/59
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00 from our great hotel/lodge at Trickle Creek in Kimberly. Ate an egg on a piece of toast, had some yoghurt and strawberries, and drank some water. Packed up the car to head to the race (30min drive).
Event warmup:

Had lots of time, which was great. Was able to relax and go to the loo many a time, and took my time to properly put on my wetsuit. Did some warm up lengths before our gun went off. Chatted with the ladies. Twas great. :)
Swim
  • 22m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

I have no idea how I swam so fast, but it felt great the majority of the time! stuck with others so that I could draft/sight off of them a bit (know I was going the right direction). Felt really good, didn't feel like I was pushing crazy hard to keep up... I'm super stoked about this.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to swallow so much water, and maybe try to draft off of feet a bit more to go faster/save myself for the bike/run.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had my bike in a perfect gearing to hop on and pedal strong out of T1. Don't have tri shoes or clip in to my pedals before hand, and I put socks on. Don't feel that this is really something I need to spend much time on, I go fast enough, and feel comfortable.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 17s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.46 km/hr
Comments:

Tried to really focus on pushing hard on the bike. Was shocked when I saw some ladies who I wouldn't think that I'd be faster than in the water, pass me on the bike. Wish that I could keep up... one day?
Drank too much (as you'll hear in the run section). Ate some fig newtons and honey stinger chews (love those things). Felt good, stayed focused, except when the ferarri tour came through, yowsah!

Maybe watch the fluid intake a bit... take in fluid along the run instead of on the bike - never had to pee on the bike, but surely surely did once I got off and things started joggling around...!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got some quick tie laces as I forgot mine in calgary. They worked great, had a little trouble getting my tire into it's spot on the rack, but didn't let it frustrate me. Slipped on my shoes, grabbed my hat, took off my helmet and was off!

Nothing, it was pretty seamless, if I do say so myself... :)
Run
  • 52m 30s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 15s  min/km
Comments:

So I got off the bike and out on the run. Trying to tell my legs to turn over fast fast fast.
Then, I had to pee. I think I held off for about 3km, but I really was looking for bushes, of which there weren't too many. I was not in a great position to 'quickly' undress and pee, so that was out too...
Needless to say, I made it work while running. Grabbed water at the water station, and c'est la vie!
Boy did I feel better after that. Until, I had to go again...
And maybe even a third time. I'll admit, I kind of lost track. Oy.

Clearly, this is my weakest of the three areas.
I tried to have light feet, and quick cadence, and long strides, etc etc, but it just didn't seem to come together very well. I felt pretty decent, although I think I would have been much further ahead to hydrate LESS on the bike, and MORE during the run, as I think I lost a lot of fluids that I needed once the heat started to pour down half way through the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race (I sprinted like MAD through the finish line, HA!) Greg and I grabbed some grub, but I wasn't feeling 100% so didn't eat much (did manage a burger, so protein). Went and sat in the lake for a bit, and changed and lounged around through the awards ceremony. I won a night's stay at Kimberly but almost lost my hip because of it. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ability to perform faster was limited by my running skills. I really need to work on finding a way to dial that in. I think if I could I would be half decent at this sport. :)

Event comments:

Great race, wonderful volunteers. Super fast flat course, good ego booster for the beginning of the season.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/59
Overall: 106/504
Performance: Good
Swim was short, however, this time includes the 200m run from the lake to Transition.
Suit: Zoot Synergie
Course: Triangle/trapezoid. Clockwise direction, women oly start together.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:17 | 40 kms | 31.46 km/hr
Age Group: 10/59
Overall: 199/504
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back out to Hwy 93/95 up to mill and back.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:30 | 10 kms | 05m 15s  min/km
Age Group: 18/59
Overall: 246/504
Performance: Average
Course: Very similar to IMC, just on a much smaller scale. You do an out and back along the perimeter of the lake on one side, then come back around transition/finish area, to do a shorter out and back before crossing the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Gerick's Wasa Triathlon

2009-06-15 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2219371

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Gerick's Wasa Triathlon

I see that you still had some energy left in you to race up to grab that weekend in Kimberly!  I was seated opposite you at the awards ceremony but back a few people so did not make any attempt at grabbing any of the prizes.

Great race - I would race this one again.  Swim course was shorter than 1500 meters but I don't know by how much.  Bike course was super fast.  Run was HOT.

Wasn't that parade of Ferraris a distraction...

Congrat's on a great race!

2009-06-15 10:39 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
That's a great time! Nice work!
2009-06-16 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB

Great race you had, congrats!  I hate it when you have to pee!  That was you running for the kimberly stay, well done!  I love Kimberly.

2009-06-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2220184

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

Ha ha ha, the Ferarri's killed me!!! It was hilarious really, I couldn't believe how many there were.  I remember thinking 'if that doesn't make you want to go fast, I don't know what will!!!!'.

You should have come over and said hi after you saw me jump out of the crowd.  My arms and legs were shaking for 10min after I dove for that prize, lol.

Swim was short, as there's no way I can swim 1500 in 22:30!! But I'll take it. We all swam the same distance, long, or short!

2009-06-16 3:25 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Nice work....I've heard great things about that course out there. Next year.....
And peeing on the course is great isn't it? You always feel so bad about doing it, but i t feels so good after!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gerick's Wasa Triathlon Rss Feed