General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am experiencing a problem with my hands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-20 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
Subject: I am experiencing a problem with my hands
It seems that after riding outside on the bike for a while, my fingers, then my hands begin to go numb. Originally, I thought it was the gloves I was wearing cutting off my circulation. I changed to a different brand and style of glove and am still experiencing the problem. I have concluded that the pressure on my hands and wrists propping up my upper body is most likely causing this. I adjust my riding position often to alleviate the hand/wrist pressure, but it is becoming a losing battle.

It is starting to worry me because sometimes I do not have feeling in my hands as I pull the brake lever. When I am rehydrating from the caged bottle, I find it difficult to get the bottle back in, not to mention riding with only one hand.

Does anyone else experience this problem? Does anyone have any recommendations or solutions? Perhaps I need to be doing some hand strengthening exercises? Help.

Peter

2004-03-20 10:19 PM
in reply to: #13480

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: I am experiencing a problem with my hands
I do experience some numbness in the hands if I stay in the same position too long. I alternate positions, and it eliviates that problem a lot. Your not having any feeling in your hands when you pull the brake lever, however, sounds like more of a problem. Your cockpit position may be too short and your saddle too high, thereby putting a lot of weight on your hands! I may be reaching here...it could be a host of things. Verify with a good bike shop to ensure that your bike is set up properly for you.
2004-03-20 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
It is odd that you would mention the bike fit. I've noticed this AFTER having been recently "fitted". A local well-known cyclist/triathlete looked at my riding position and RAISED my saddle. Personally, I liked the seat height I had before. Come to think of it, I have noticed a minor twinge in my lower back since then as well. I asked whether the frame was long enough for me and he mentioned that my riding position looked fine. I now having my doubts.
2004-03-20 10:44 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Try bike gloves with the gel inserts as this gives many riders some relief.  Also many people like aero bars for this reason.  I admit that aerobars aren't for this purpose, but hey if it helps you it helps you!
2004-03-20 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I got the new Nike Dri-Fit Gel Gloves (http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp;jsessionid=E8D85E1D46BE1DEE4AC22714A0910123?style=20781). They are quite comfortable and not tight at all. The problem still persists. I am beginning to think that my riding position is placing too much weight forward on the hands/arms as mentioned earlier.

Meanwhile, I did an edxtensive Google Search and found the following on Bicycling Pain:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

Edited by GamblerZ 2004-03-21 12:00 AM
2004-03-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: #13491

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Peter, you do not want to hear this, but I had carpal tunnel surgery 2 summers ago and I swore it developed from biking. Everyone I rode with said no way, but your link convinces me even more. There was nothing else going on in my life that could have contributed to that condition.

Anyhow, I wore a brace with a metal insert for a few months before surgery, and continued to wear it when riding after surgery. Keeping the carpal tunnel straight, and no pressure on the nerves, was the only way to keep my fingers from going numb. I haven't ridden any long distances since that summer, but I'll let you know how it goes when I do this summer.

Good luck with your hand.

2004-03-21 6:08 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
You could try positioning the handlebars up a few degrees. That would put you a bit more upright and take some pressure off the hands. Simply loosen the nut on the handlebars and rotate them up just a bit. Carpal tunnel is within the realm of possibility, but it generally only affects your thumb, middle and index finger(small part of ring too). I would also expect it to bother you at times other than riding. Hope this helps.
2004-03-21 6:45 PM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
I had this exact same problem when I dusted off my old bike and hit the road. Even after a short ride of 45 minutes, the heels of both hands were numb. I did raise my handle bars up a bit at a time, ( 3 adjustments overall), and have found relief.
I just got Eric Harr's "Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week" out of the local library and the bike set-up section has been very useful. I've now adjusted by seat up a bit more and forward a bit more, and leveled the saddle out. My handy hubby volunteered to do the work, while I read the instructions.
Can I add another bike question while I'm here?? Are your feet on the peddles supposed to be kept level,(parallel with the road?) or slightly toe down during peddling?? Does this question make sense to anyone?

Dolly
2004-03-21 7:17 PM
in reply to: #13594

Champion
Dolly, some people pedal with toes pointed down, others with level feet and anywhere in between. Basically it's what feels most comfortable and natural to you. If you try to concentrate too much on changing to a flat pedal stroke, oftentimes you'll actually be slower than if you just cranked away without thinking about it. The world famous Frenchman Jaques Anquetil had a pointed pedaling style, and he won the Tour de France 5 times with it!

Max
2004-03-21 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Im with Machiavelo, move your hands around on the bars every now and then... and try to keep a slight bend in your elbows to help absorb some of the weight and shock. playing with the angle of the handle bars probably isnt the best idea as it will only change the angle at which your wrists are positioned on the bars and more than likely make the pain worse, so unless this is a problem... leave the drops parallel to the ground. if you want to raise the handle bars to make your riding position more vertical, raise the stem angle/height. this position is less efficient but much more comfortable. this is the reason bike shops set up bikes this way, most of the time the pain in your back is simply weak muscles which were not used before are now being utilised.

comfort over efficiency and speed? you decide...
aidan
2004-03-21 7:56 PM

Brasil
I had a similar problem. I increased the height of my seat, and felt uncomfortable distributing my weigth the way I used to, resulting in more pressure to my hands. When you ride, do you fell as if you are puting less of your body weight in the sadle? Rebalancing was the solution for me.

2004-03-21 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
I adjusted my bike anew this evening. I leveled my handlebars and raised them about 3cm. I leveled the saddle and lowered it about 4cm. I moved my aerobars slightly outward since I am relatively broad shouldered and also adjusted the grip angle. Also, I measured my cranks and they were 175mm. Is this normal?

I made some rudimentary measurements below for your opinions/thoughts:

Height: 70.50in
Sternum notch: 57.25in
Inseam length: 32.50in
Arm length: 26.00in
Shoulder width: 22.00in
Flexibility: mid-shin
Weight: 210lbs
Foot size: 10.5US Men
2004-03-21 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
yeah, 170mm/175mm is the standard size, anything less is more for criterium racing and anything more your will be hitting the ground

aidan
2004-03-22 8:51 AM
in reply to: #13637

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I am glad to hear that you lowered your seat a few cm's. The alarm bells went off in my head when you wrote that a "local athlete raised your seat and that you were having twinges in your back." When you begin to have back problems on a bike it is usually associated with two things, either you seat is too high or your cockpit is to short. Try your present set-up for awhile and see how that feels. And don't forget to alternate your grip when You go for long distances.
2004-03-22 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I get a little of the same thing. However, I can usually cure my numbness by letting go with one hand and shaking it like crazy for a couple of seconds until it remembers that it is attached to my arm and that is where its blood is supposed to come from... HOWEVER, I know my handlebars are too low, I just haven't gotten around to buying a new stem to raise them.

As for pedaling, I think I have more power when I pedal with my heel lower than the pedal at the bottom. Heel dip? That is what seems to work for me...

2004-03-22 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Try ditching the gloves. I only wear gloves when I road race or do technical off road rides to protect my hands a little if I crash. Any other time I never wear gloves because my hands get numb.
For positioning it is possible that the seat is too high and the handlebars too low.

2004-03-22 5:12 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
I've had this occur, but I'm only on a mtn. bike. It's gotten better with time, as I've relaxed my hands, it seems I was keeping too much of a death-grip on the handlebars. Not sure how I'd be on road bike. One thing that seems to come to mind, is if you have/use aero-bars? It seems that would relieve some of the stress put on your hand.

Regarding the foot-position, mine changes depending on where in the revolution my foot is. I pedal the whole 360 degrees, so depending on whether i'm pulling back/up or pushing forward/down, my heel changes where it is positioned.
2004-03-22 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
This is a common problem, apparently. I certainly have it.

It is surprising to me that road bikes handlebars are designed the way they are. Seems like everything is at the wrong angles. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? How about someone designing handlebars that prevent this problem! I think that the points where your hand holds no should not be tube shaped, but flatter - allowing you to rest on your palms instead of on the heel of your hands.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am experiencing a problem with my hands Rss Feed