General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes and tendon pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-15 11:30 PM

User image

Regular
Muncie
Subject: Running shoes and tendon pain
I bought a new pair of running shoes in April and out of the blue 3 weeks ago while running my Achilles tendon started to hurt. It only hurts while running and not while biking. Tonight when I put on my running shoes for a gym workout I noticed that the back of my shoes hits my tendon right where it hurts the most. Could my shoes be the cause to the pain? I know it could be something worse but I am hoping that it's something minor. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2009-06-15 11:45 PM
in reply to: #2220279

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Running shoes and tendon pain
I can't wear Brooks brand because of that very issue. I don't know if my foot slides or what, but I've never been able to even walk in them. My experience was that the pain went away - it didn't hurt when I moved my foot, but it did when I walked or ran in those shoes. Sort of like a bruise that kept getting poked with the shoes on, rather than a joint or tendon injury. IF you're over 30, you probably know what joint or tendon inflammation feel like and can compare this pain to that. Think of achy knees or ankles in the morning, but that doesn't get better as you move. If it doesn't go away, get it checked out! Cycling and running are very different types of stress, so don't go by that.

I hope it's just shoes, that's easy to fix.

2009-06-16 1:56 AM

Do a google search of achilles tendonitis or possibly plantar fasciitis to see if any of the symptoms match.    Also, are your new shoes suited to your arches, degree of pronation etc? 

Edited by rexcoltrain 2009-06-16 1:58 AM
2009-06-16 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I have been experiencing AT for the past three months.  I finally decided to go to PT.  After a bunch of stretching, massage, and ultrasound, we looked at my shoes and figured out, they give me too much support.  I need a more neutral shoe.  This wasn't the main cause, but it was a contributing factor.  Check your shoes and your calves.  My PT is a triathlete / runner, etc, so I trust her opinions.  Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running shoes and tendon pain Rss Feed