General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Getting Started on the Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-17 6:43 AM

Subject: Help - Getting Started on the Bike
I just bought my first bike in 15 years and I need help on how to get started on training. I am anxious about getting comfortable on a bike.

I can run and OWS the OLY distances but I have no idea how to get started on the bike.  The OLY training plan has you biking for 15 miles the first workout.  I dont think this is possible but I dont have a plan for how to get to the 15 mile point.

Do I start at say 5 miles and use the 10% rule until I get to the right mileage.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

DAC

2009-06-17 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2223354

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Help - Getting Started on the Bike

Yeah, you might want to go "off-plan" until you're comfortable on the bike.  If you can run and swim Oly distances, you likely have the necessary aerobic base, but just need to get your cycling muscles up to speed, work some endurance into your sit bones, etc.

Haven't had a professional fitting done?  That would help you get started on the right foot.

As far as where to start - sure 5 miles, maybe 10, and you're right: don't ramp up too quickly, and don't worry at all about speed quite yet.

2009-06-17 7:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
I may be completely off on this, but as long as your bike fit is ok, then risk of "injury" is less than with running. There isn't the impact of running at least on the knees, so I would say, hop on the bike or even a gym stationary bike to get started and ride easy for a while. Don't limit yourself to 5 miles. I wouldn't go too far, or try anything your not comfortable with, but also don't short yourself. A lot depends on your level of fitness as well. Maybe try riding for half an hour, see how you feel and go from that.
2009-06-17 9:20 AM

Veteran
Tennessee

there is no rule that says you can't stop to rest. Sometime I will increase my mileage by 5 miles. When I get half way I will stop and take a 3 to 5 min rest. then the next time I ride that distance I won't need a rest. You will be suprised at how fast your mileage will increase. I am a beginner too and that is my 2 cents.

2009-06-17 2:45 PM

User image

Kayak Point, WA
As has been said before there is not as much of an issue with concern of injury like building miles running (but make sure you are not in pain and or had a bike fit done).

I would start with a relatively flat ride, preferably on a trail or VERY quiet street, of about 5-10 miles.   Then increase distance, speed, and frequency by "listening to your body".  Many people find the most difficult thing to get used to on a bike is not the distance but the time on the saddle. 

Michael
2009-06-17 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
My advice: just ride.

Don't over complicate things.  Ride until you feel a little tired then stop.  If you chose a route that stays close to where you live then this is easy enough to do.

Then, once you feel more comfortable on the bike you can start looking at more ridged training plans that will build on the basic fitness you get from just riding around.

2009-06-17 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

I would say ride for time until you get a better feel for what you can do.  If you bonk, you can just limp home and adjust the workout next time.  You'll quickly figure out what you can do and what you can't.  Be careful of quickly ramping up your training load without ramping up your recovery/sleep time as you'll start to feel fatigued and dread the bike rides...  My first full week of commuting on top of normal training just killed my energy for the weekend.  To much training too fast will also make you susceptible to colds.  Be careful of cuddly 4 year olds that attend daycare.  You'll need to wash your hands often!

2009-06-17 4:22 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
dcortright - 2009-06-17 6:43 AM

I just bought my first bike in 15 years and I need help on how to get started on training. I am anxious about getting comfortable on a bike.

I can run and OWS the OLY distances but I have no idea how to get started on the bike.  The OLY training plan has you biking for 15 miles the first workout.  I dont think this is possible but I dont have a plan for how to get to the 15 mile point.

Do I start at say 5 miles and use the 10% rule until I get to the right mileage.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

DAC

Go out and try to ride for 10 miles. You will be surprised how quickly the miles fly by. It's not like running when it comes to upping your miles.

Good luck!
2009-06-17 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2225011

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
tridantri - 2009-06-17 3:03 PM My advice: just ride.

Don't over complicate things.  Ride until you feel a little tired then stop.  If you chose a route that stays close to where you live then this is easy enough to do.

Then, once you feel more comfortable on the bike you can start looking at more ridged training plans that will build on the basic fitness you get from just riding around.

X2

Don't overcomplicate things.  I also wouldn't follow the 10% rule on the bike.  That would take forever to ramp up if you starting at 10 miles.  Listen to your body and I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to ride 10 to 15 miles on the bike.  Nobody ever said you have to do it fast.  Just do you own pace and you'll finish. 
2009-06-17 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2225011

User image

tridantri - 2009-06-17 4:03 PM My advice: just ride.

Agreed.  It's also a lot of fun once you get comfortable venturing out a bit to explore neighborhoods that you wouldn't run to but are a bit more accessible by bike (this is coming from someone in the suburbs). 

One thing I'd stress is that you should ride a lower (easier) gear than you think you should be, especially at first.  The general rule of thumb is that your cadence (rpm) should be around 90, so aim for a gear that will allow you to spin your legs 90 times per minute without killing your knees/legs.  Riding at a low cadence and high gear has the potential to mash up knees.
2009-06-17 6:18 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
hey dcortright,
i totally hear ya. i started riding last year, and initially felt so intimidated, thinking that i couldn't go far. I did exactly what the folks on here have been advising, and you'd be surprised at how quickly your comfort level will increase. You'll be doing 50-milers before you know it!

2009-06-17 8:34 PM

Practice on grass! I did that the other day with my mountain bike for about a half hour just riding around and felt pretty good. I am also going to do that with the 10speed  and of course will practice riding in the streets.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Getting Started on the Bike Rss Feed