General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2010-04-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2223820

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread
We've been here since Monday, the weather has been beautiful and the forecast just keeps getting better.  The wind picked up yesterday but no where near as bad as they were saying.  I am going to check in in about an hour!  CANNOT WAIT!!!

2010-04-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2822525

User image

Master
South of SLC
sportyj - 2010-04-28 9:21 AM

We've been here since Monday, the weather has been beautiful and the forecast just keeps getting better.  The wind picked up yesterday but no where near as bad as they were saying.  I am going to check in in about an hour!  CANNOT WAIT!!!

You missed the big winds we got in northern Utah last night. I woke up and laughed they were so hard.

I am leaving for St. George in a couple of hours. I am headed to Sand Hollow for a swim about noon on Thursday if anyone is interested. I haven't seen anything except for talk about a BT Meet & Greet, so I will assume it isn't happening. I will keep checking back to make sure...

Good luck everyone! This is going to be stellar. Great course, great town, and good times...

Mike
2010-04-28 10:47 AM

New user

Las Vegas
Packing today, picking up some new goggles, heading out from LV early in am, hoping to cath the Endurance Nation talk at the KSwiss booth at the Expo at 10:00 am, open to the public includes a free DVD on their 4 point IM strategy. 

SGIM article on Active.com today, nothing really new but I guess we can't get enough stuff to read and digest at this point ...

7 Things You Should Know About Ironman St. George

By Elden Nelson
For Active.com

The inaugural Ford Ironman St. George is in just a few days, which means that athletes from all over the world are about to find out that spring weather in Southern Utah can be a little bit...unpredictable.

Luckily, I live just a few hours from St. George, and have had an opportunity to pre-ride and pre-run the Ironman course several times during the past few months. Here are some important things I have learned.

1. There are two cycling climbs that matter.
The cycling course has you riding from the first transition, then riding a 45-mile loop a couple of times before dropping into the center of St. George. The course rolls, climbing and descending frequently, but not far. However, there are two big hills.

The first one is about five miles before you come into Veyo, and it's brutal. Luckily, it's only 0.8 miles long. The second is affectionately known as "The Veyo Wall" and is one mile long. And don't forget, you do each of them twice.

2. You have a big ol' long descent at the end of each cycling lap.

At the end of each lap—after climbing the Veyo wall—you have around 17 miles of descending to do. Weather providing, this is a fantastic place to rehydrate and eat something.

3. There's almost always a headwind going into that descent.

Of the three times I've ridden this course, there has been a headwind all three times. Once, that headwind was so bad that it felt like I was pedaling uphill, even though it was downhill. So don't think of that 17-mile descent as likely to do you any favors.

4. You will experience a ridiculous amount of déjà vu during the run.

The running course is a 6.5-mile out-and-back affair, which means you'll see every inch of the course four times. And since there's one cul-de-sac you run through for each pass, you'll see the houses there eight times. Which means maybe that's a good spot to set up your family to cheer you on.

5. The run has hardly any flat spots.

If you love running up and down climbs, this is the perfect marathon for you. You'll be running up and over Red Hills Parkway, turning around, and running over it again. Sure, you'll have a mile or so of Diagonal Street, which looks flat, and you'll run that four times. But here's the thing: Diagonal Street isn't flat either.

6. The weather is looking scary.

Weather.com says St. George is going to be rainy and windy on race day. How scary and what kind of scary depends on whether you trust Weather.com or Accuweather , which says it's going to be windy and maybe rainy. And the high temperature—usually in the 80s this time of year—will be 67. So, um, overheating shouldn't be a problem, anyway.

7. Get some Concrete.

Concrete at Nielsen's Frozen Custard in St. George, that is. It's like Oreo ice cream, but smoother and tastier. Best race recovery food ever.

Elden Nelson blogs on the cycling comedy and endurance racing website fatcyclist.com. This will be his first Ironman. In fact, it will be his first triathlon.

Race-Day Tips for Performing Your Best at an Ironman

2010-04-28 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
In response to #6, I would hardly call the forecast "scary". Maybe for wimps, but not potential ironmen.

2010-04-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2822618

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Rollin' Thunder - 2010-04-28 8:34 AM
sportyj - 2010-04-28 9:21 AM We've been here since Monday, the weather has been beautiful and the forecast just keeps getting better.  The wind picked up yesterday but no where near as bad as they were saying.  I am going to check in in about an hour!  CANNOT WAIT!!!
You missed the big winds we got in northern Utah last night. I woke up and laughed they were so hard. I am leaving for St. George in a couple of hours. I am headed to Sand Hollow for a swim about noon on Thursday if anyone is interested. I haven't seen anything except for talk about a BT Meet & Greet, so I will assume it isn't happening. I will keep checking back to make sure... Good luck everyone! This is going to be stellar. Great course, great town, and good times... Mike

We had some bad ones in Vegas too.  Kept me up last night.
2010-04-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2822969

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Accuweather now has it 5 degrees warmer in the day, but now it's 12mph winds with gusts up to 23, but they took out all the chance for rain.  It's down to 3%.  So plan to stay dry!

I guess since I deal with these kinds of winds almost every ride, I shouldn't be surprised, but it WOULD be nice to have it calm on race day.

If you plan to run at night (raises hand).  The winds kick up to 20...

Edited by Kido 2010-04-28 11:51 AM

2010-04-28 12:04 PM

User image

Also just stopping in to wish you all good luck. I'll be camping this weekend but hopefully will get a signal so I can track you all remotely.

Enjoy!
2010-04-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2822979

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Kido - 2010-04-28 9:49 AM Accuweather now has it 5 degrees warmer in the day, but now it's 12mph winds with gusts up to 23, but they took out all the chance for rain.  It's down to 3%.  So plan to stay dry!

I guess since I deal with these kinds of winds almost every ride, I shouldn't be surprised, but it WOULD be nice to have it calm on race day.

If you plan to run at night (raises hand).  The winds kick up to 20...

Same here, all my training rides are in headwinds, I'd prefer not to have one but my race plan is presumes the winds will be bad.  Tuck, and stay low.
2010-04-28 1:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-28 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2823286

Sensei
Sin City
Doesn't sound like any real plans have been made to meet up (at least I'm not aware)...

I would bet I'm the TALLEST athlete doing it, so that's a clue.  I just plan to just cruise around, hit the expo, dinner, etc...  Probably drive to T2/finish to find locations to park and figure out logistics.  Maybe catch a movie or somthing to kill time on Friday.

I plan to also bring some books and just chill out and stay off my feet most of the time.  If anyone else has more exciting plans or want to do something.  I'm not for going crazy, but I would not be opposed to getting like ONE beer on thursday night. 
2010-04-28 5:07 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
I would love to hold a gtg tomorrow.  I hate to be up in the air but I am awaiting some peoples plans.  We have a great location to host.  I will post ASAP am awaiting an email to finalize things.

If we cannot get together before the athlete dinner I can try and hold some spots - how many people are going to the dinner tomorrow???  Let's get a head count! 

2010-04-28 5:13 PM

Cedar Park
Ok so arrived to St. George and have to say this is going to be fun.  To me it is absolutely beautiful here.  I love this type of terrain. The wind today is brutal, but I talked to a guy at check in that claims to be some type of weather guru or local medicine man or something and he said it will be absolutely perfect until later that night and then the winds will kick up to 20+ after dark.  I have only one major complaint and that is all the smaller ironman buying all the xxL jerseys.  The one thing I wanted was a jersey and all the xxL were gone.  There was a nice man there working that area of the expo and he said for two days now all he has been saying is “why don’t you try a smaller jersey so we can have some for the larger athletes.”  The athlete’s response “I am a large triathlete.”  So all you true XXL are there are now more jerseys. 

2010-04-28 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2824078

Sensei
Sin City
Heading out.  I will be checking BT on my mobal.  It sort of sucks, but I can check in...
2010-04-28 5:16 PM

My best to everyone this weekend.  I hope you all reach/exceed your goals.
Remember to take in every moment and have fun   
2010-04-28 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2824088

Champion
Northridge, California
Not sure yet if we're going to the dinner or not...depends on whether or not my dad's up for it. I'll be checking via mobile as well.
2010-04-28 10:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

My friend and I will be at the dinner tomorrow night

2010-04-28 10:25 PM

Cedar Park
weather.com has the rain chances down to 10% now.  Now if you can just get the wind to go away.
2010-04-28 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2824578

Sensei
Sin City
Sully_Joe - 2010-04-28 8:25 PM weather.com has the rain chances down to 10% now.  Now if you can just get the wind to go away.

I wish...

Winds are horrific right now in Vegas and I think they are worse in St. George.  We are on our second day if high wind warnings.  I will die down before the weekend for sure, but it never goes away.
2010-04-28 10:40 PM

Veteran
Southern California
In town and checked in. Took the family out to dinner and went grocery shopping. Now time to relax with a homebrew.

The winds were really up the whole drive in, but it was a tailwind so the MPG was up in the car. Gonna hit the expo and checkin early and cruise the courses. Weather is also looking up so I think it will be a great, fun and painful day!
2010-04-28 11:49 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
Got into SG earlier today.

The area reminds me of Ireland; in a way that a picture cannot describe its beauty.  Absolutely gorgeous area and I'm looking forward to seeing it up close and personal.

As for the wind, it was bad today.  There were 1-2 foot whitecaps at the Sand Hollow, with the wind blowing towards the start line, so the first mile may be tough if the wind continues.

?The weather report right now has winds at 41 mph, gusting to 53.  Hopefully this stops or alot of people are going to take a spill on the bike. 
2010-04-29 12:23 AM

New user

Crap! I am screwed! I was just looking through the Athlete Guide. Is there no athlete check-in on Friday? I am so used to HIMs that I never even thought this was not an option.

2010-04-29 6:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-29 10:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
How did you know my throat is scratcy this morning? I feel like crap! It' good to know that it is normal.

Did anyone have to drive from SLC last night? That blizzard was amazing! I am used to driving in the snow, but that scared me to death. I can see the headlines now. Ironman hopeful and family die on the way to the race. Yikes I was sliding all over I15!
2010-04-29 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2825343

Sensei
Sin City
I'm leaving my house in Vegas in about 30 minutes.  I should be up there in a couple hours.  Check in the hotel and race, maybe get a haircut, some lunch, MAYBE ride the bike for 30...  Then get ready for our dinner.

Good luck everyone!
2010-04-29 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2824666

Sensei
Sin City
rustyspoone - 2010-04-28 10:23 PM Crap! I am screwed! I was just looking through the Athlete Guide. Is there no athlete check-in on Friday? I am so used to HIMs that I never even thought this was not an option.

That sucks.  Anyway to get there today?

This came up earlier in the thread.  Hate to say it, but looking at the schedule a little earlier than two days before the race would probably have been a good idea.

This is too big to let things go to chance.

I REALLY hope you can get something to work out.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43