General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading the Roadie - Components? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-17 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Upgrading the Roadie - Components?

Here's the dealio...in 2001, I got a Klein Quantum that I love...I bought it for the frame, and it came with a full 105 group, 9 speed. I want to use this as my everyday rider, but the group is starting to get 'soft'. Shifts aren't crisp. Shift levers have a little play. Now, to be fair, I've never done much maintenance to the group...never tightened the cables, greased or replaced bearings...about the only maintenance I've done is to swap the cassette, and cleaning the drivetrain, which I've done fairly often.

So at this point, I'm pretty convinced I need at least 4 things: New cables, New chainring, Overhaul the BB, and a new chain, plus a good cleaning, plus tighten up the brake cables. Now come the options:

Option 1: Buy only what I listed out above, 105 or ultegra, and get the bike overhauled for probably $350
   - Pros: Relatively inexpensive
   - Cons: Still have 9-speed, still have (predominantly) 105 components, some of which are ~9 years old

Option 2: Buy a new Ultegra SL group on eBay or elsewhere for $850
   - Pros: Get to 10-speed, get to ultegra,
   - Cons: Relatively expensive, replacing some components (like the FD hanger, cassette) that I don't need to

Option 3: Buy a Windsor Falkirk for $895 (comes with Ultegra), swap the gruppo, end up with two fully working bikes.
   - Pros: Get to 10 speed, get to ultegra, get a bonus frame, fork, and Shimano R500 wheels (bonus!  the Rolfs
     that came on the bike are out of round).  
   - Cons: Relatively expensive.

So as I think about these options, I've pretty much ruled out option 2. But there are a couple things that would help me decide between options 1 and 3:
   - Is the difference between 2001 105 and 2009 Ultegra SL that much?  Is it signficant?
   - How are the Shimano R500 wheels - are they dogs, or are they all-around decent wheels?
   - Any other considerations for upgrading the 9-speed?

The goal here is to build a good, everyday performer, not necessarily to break any weight weenie records or deck the halls with carbon. Any feedback would be appreciated, including things I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance.

2009-06-17 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2224434

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Subject: RE: Upgrading the Roadie - Components?
To be honest, having your cables replaced will get you the most performance upgrade for your money. Seriously.

Aside from that, upgrading shifters (I assume you're using STI shifters) come second in that list.
2009-06-17 12:34 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Can't help much, but the Windsor is only going to get you Ultegra FD, RD and shifters/levers (plus maybe cassette and chain?--unclear).  Buying the group gets you brakes, bottom bracket, cranks, etc.  So, depends what you want/don't want to upgrade.

Just another thought.  I would consider SRAM if you are going to go for a full change-over, too.  Rival seems to be an interesting group and I've heard of people picking it up for a good price (haven't looked into it myself).  Probably tough to pick up a cheap frame built up with it though.

Your option 1 will probably leave you with a fine running machine as well.  And a few extra hundred dollars to spend on other stuff for it. 
2009-06-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2224518

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
JohnnyKay - 2009-06-17 1:34 PM Can't help much, but the Windsor is only going to get you Ultegra FD, RD and shifters/levers (plus maybe cassette and chain?--unclear). 

Oooh, good catch. Didn't see that it wasn't a full Ultegra...it's Tektro brakes, Ritchey stem, and undesignated chain mfg. Hmm.

I'll look into Rival. That's new territory for me. Think I'll learn something. Thanks for the reply.
2009-06-18 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

If you hunt and pick and choose you can upgrade for a reasonable price.  I went from Sora/Tiagra on my roadie to a smattering of goods:

105/Ultegra shifters (no one can decide - they are the short reach ones)

Ultegra brakes

DA FD (triple)

105 cassette

Ultegra RD (10 sp)

SRAM chain (I like the power link)

I had kept my Sugino crank, but it is binding so the hubby convinced me to try a cyclocross crank (I like my little gears).  So Forte crank & 105 BB.

Total cost = <500, probably around 425ish.  I did everything but the crank online, mostly eBay stores.  The brakes were 75 total, most places wanted 75 each.

I would browse more because you can get nearly everything you need from eBay or craiglist for less than $850 for the gruppo.

2009-06-18 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Ditto on the cable replacement

I have a SRAM 10sp bike (mix of Force and Red) and a bike with mostly 9sp S105 on it. When the 105 stuff is clean and well taken care of it, it's pretty much flawless. This is on my wet weather/nasty conditions/Cyclocross race bike. It's put up with 3 seasons of winter training and many Cross races. Have only need to replace the rear shift cable, but I do find the drive train likes to be clean with a little bit of chain lube on it.

If I was building a bike or switching completely over I'd look hard at the SRAM Rival bits. I really like my roadie with the SRAM Force/Red mix on it. I've been on a few bikes with Rival and it has very much the same crispness and snappy feel of the higher end SRAM stuff.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading the Roadie - Components? Rss Feed