General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » completely lost, but determined Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-18 8:06 AM

Subject: completely lost, but determined
Just wanted to introduce myself properly as I will probably be posting a lot of questions on  these forums, many of which have probably been answered at length previously I am sure.

Anyways I am a 31 year athlete that was rode hard when he was younger.  I always played contact sports (football, lacross, hockey) but a few years back I suffered a "detached retina" in my eye (obviously haha) and was told no more contact sports.  So for a few years now I have been looking for a way to scratch that competitive itch inside me and haven't had much success.  Two things I have found that work somewhat are Golf and poker.  But neither of them offer the physical challenge that I feel I need at this point.

Why do I feel I need it?  Well to be honest I feel like I have taken a significant downgrade in fitness over the last year or two.  About two years ago I started my own web design firm and thus spend most of my days at a desk on a computer.  Not very condusive to healthy fitness.  Add onto that the recent birth of my first child 4 months ago and I have been spending a lot of time on the couch.  While I am totally head over heals for my boy, I just feel blah physically.

So I want to kick my into gear (unintentional pun, but it works) and do something about it.  I had a friend that recently did a triathlon and when he was telling me about it it lit a fire of curiousity in me that i have not been able to ignore despite the looks of "are you crazy?" from my wife.  I should mention I have zero experience as a runner and biker and swimmer.  Complete newbie to all three.

My main problem is budget, you see i have none.  And by none I mean zero.  I just can't at this time justify spending money on something I have no idea about.  So I am looking for ways to get into the sport cheaply but adequately.

So that's my story, hope to be sticking around for a while and posting a lot.  Thanks for your time.

Edited by Kulprit 2009-06-18 8:08 AM

2009-06-18 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2226098

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: RE: completely lost, but determined

Kulprit,

Congrats on the baby boy.  We have all found ourselves where you are mentally and physically at one time or other.  However you certainly have picked a hard time in life to get started with the new baby in the house.  Your journey is not impossible but will need to be one of careful balance if you don't want your wife to lock you out.  Tri's have a tendency to be very time consuming and addictively so.  Tred carefully and don't think of doing anything longer than an olympic without her buy in.  Just a few pointers from someone who learned the hard way.   

BT is a great place to learn and go cheap.  If you have a question look it up before you post it will save you some waiting time.  I would also recommend checking out the freebie plans to get you started.  Tri's are probably the most expensive sport out there in terms of equipment.   

Going Cheap:

Swim-  Do your workouts in your regular swim trunks as they don't wear and tear in the cholorine like the spandex shorts do.  When you can get a pair of Tri shorts.

Bike-  Do you have one?  If your starting with Sprints you don't need anything fancy.  I've seen lots of people on mountain bikes.  It's harder but consider it strength training. Bike Fit is very important.  Even if your not buying a fancy bike right now visit the local bike store and find out what size bike you would need and then check Craig's list, Ebay and BT for options.  Even Walmart.com has road bikes but if your going cheap be aware you get what you pay for and the gears aren't built to last.    Last tip here...don't ride in a regular cotton t-shirt.  If you have a performance T that is better.  Jersey's aren't reqired just something that will keep you dry.

Run-  DON'T SKIMP on your Running shoes.  Make sure you go to a specialty running store and have them evaluate your walk and let them make recommendations on what you should be in.  Then go to Academy or whatever to get them cheaper.  www.runningwarehouse is awesome too.

There are a million other tips but you will find them as you dig into this site.

Good Luck!

K

2009-06-18 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2226351

Subject: RE: completely lost, but determined
tri-chic - 2009-06-18 10:17 AM

Kulprit,

Congrats on the baby boy.  We have all found ourselves where you are mentally and physically at one time or other.  However you certainly have picked a hard time in life to get started with the new baby in the house.  Your journey is not impossible but will need to be one of careful balance if you don't want your wife to lock you out.  Tri's have a tendency to be very time consuming and addictively so.  Tred carefully and don't think of doing anything longer than an olympic without her buy in.  Just a few pointers from someone who learned the hard way.   

BT is a great place to learn and go cheap.  If you have a question look it up before you post it will save you some waiting time.  I would also recommend checking out the freebie plans to get you started.  Tri's are probably the most expensive sport out there in terms of equipment.   

Going Cheap:

Swim-  Do your workouts in your regular swim trunks as they don't wear and tear in the cholorine like the spandex shorts do.  When you can get a pair of Tri shorts.

Bike-  Do you have one?  If your starting with Sprints you don't need anything fancy.  I've seen lots of people on mountain bikes.  It's harder but consider it strength training. Bike Fit is very important.  Even if your not buying a fancy bike right now visit the local bike store and find out what size bike you would need and then check Craig's list, Ebay and BT for options.  Even Walmart.com has road bikes but if your going cheap be aware you get what you pay for and the gears aren't built to last.    Last tip here...don't ride in a regular cotton t-shirt.  If you have a performance T that is better.  Jersey's aren't reqired just something that will keep you dry.

Run-  DON'T SKIMP on your Running shoes.  Make sure you go to a specialty running store and have them evaluate your walk and let them make recommendations on what you should be in.  Then go to Academy or whatever to get them cheaper.  www.runningwarehouse is awesome too.

There are a million other tips but you will find them as you dig into this site.

Good Luck!

K

Wow that's so much for the reply.  Exactly the tip of info I am looking for.

I totally understand what your saying about time commitments.  I should qualify my post above by saying my "big" goal is to compete in a Tri that is 1 mile swim, 20 mile bike, 6.2 run.  Nothing THAT crazy.  That's probably my ceiling unless something goes crazy.  Like I said this event will be next june so i give myself a year to get ready for it.  There are several small sprint tri's that i plan to try to do just to get my feet wet sort of thing.

My true overall goal is just to get in better shape.  To get healthier.  I guess you could say I am just looking to complete rather then compete.  Truth is finding the time is probably a bigger worry of mine then budget - haha.  I can always just make some more money, time is finite lol.

As for the swim, this is probably a horrible idea but I plan to - at least for the first few months - ignore the swim.  It's going to be the hardest thing for me to adapt to and train for, so I figure I will focus on the run and bike and make sure I am seriously going to do it, then hit the swimming.  This helps narrow my focus a bit (this tri thing is really overwhelming at the beginning haha) and helps aleviate some of the budget stress, both cash and time.

Bike:  I don't own a bike at all.  So I will have to buy something.  I am trying to figure out how to go about that.  I'd hate to spend even just $500 and then in 6 months realize I want/need something else.  My head is spinning with so much info at this point that it's hard to narrow anything down and make that kind of decision.  I started to convince myself to just get a walmart type bike - but everyone seems to thing that's a bad idea so who knows what I will do.  I will at least figure out what size I need so that I can keep an eye on CL and ebay and that sort of thing.  Thanks for the shirt tip - hadn't heard that before.

Run.  Getting good shoes is exactly what I plan to do.  I wont cut corners on cost there.  We have a treadmill and I have used it and I feel like I am more limited by anke/knee pain in my workouts then I am with limits of endurance.  I plan to go to a few running stores and getting fitted and hopefully that will help.

I think my biggest fear - or at least what I am hoping to research my way out of - is that I go out and buy the wrong equipment that actually makes triathlons even MORE difficult then they actually are and I burn out and am unable to do it.   Does that make sense?
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » completely lost, but determined Rss Feed