General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Ottawa Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-25 11:56 AM

User image

Lake Mary Florida
Subject: Hello from Ottawa
Hi Everyone,
I just signed up today and thought I would introduce myself. I live in Ottawa, Canada. I have recently started training for my first tri. I have been a long distance runner for years. I was a terrible swimmer, but got some help from a coach and have managed to increase my distance from 50 meters max in early March to a whopping 500 meters for the first time the other day! Woohoo!!!!! Cycling is going to be a real challenge for me. I have not cycled since childhood. (that was a really long time ago) I have a 20 year old bike that I had fixed up to use for my first year of tri. I find the clippless pedals scary as heck!!!!! I am sure that will cause me some injury at some point.

As for my inspiration to try tri's......... Well my ex bf was a triathlete. His training always seemed like so much fun. So why should he be having all the fun!

So hello everyone.

2005-04-25 12:16 PM
in reply to: #147650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eagleville,
Subject: RE: Hello from Ottawa

Welcome to BT.  You will find people of all ability leavels here.  From people who have done many tris, to those or have not done one, and don't plan to, just like the training aspect of Triathlons.  Your swimming will get better the more you work at it, same with the bike.

Good luck on your goals, and remember to have fun.

2005-04-25 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

Hey Sarah, welcome aboard.  Have you looked into signing up for the Ottawa Early Bird tri yet?  It's a very good season starter and the swim is in the Carleton University pool so you needn't worry about freezing.  Here's the site for Somersault Promotions:

http://www.somersault.ca/

2005-04-25 2:07 PM

User image

Lake Mary Florida
Thanks
I have actaully not thought of a race to start out with. I need to feel more ready before I look I think. The idea of doing the swim in the pool is kind of cool though. I will definitely look at that one!
2005-04-25 7:24 PM

Hey there,

Welcome to the site. I'm a newbie too, also from Ontario. I'm sure that you've heard of it, but the Subaru Triathlon Series has a lot of events to choose from. I went in my first try-a-tri last year and I found it extremely well run. They pretty much have one each weekend all summer in various locations. They also seem to have a pretty good range of distances. I'm choosing to do one of them based solely on the shirt. It's the one with the little fish on it and one fish is swimming the wrong way - like I often feel. The fact that I'm choosing a race based on shirt design might suggest that I'm not overly serious, but there are a whole LOT of serious people at the races if that's your thing and many not so serious (ie: mountain bikes are definitely acceptable, although not the speediest way to travel).

Are you running in Ottawa at the end of May? If so, good luck! And good luck with your biking.
2005-04-29 8:38 PM

KERBECK
I love seeing all these Canadians on the Site!!!

I too, am a newbie.

Carleton place, July 17th...my first Try a Tri...I don't know if I'll be ready!! I too have not rode a bike in at least 15 years! I am getting my new Bike next week (Clip pedals, yikes....). It will not be red, sorry bear. My best friend has already offered to laugh at me the first time I fall off my bike because of those damn pedals...

Never was a runner, so I am really looking forward to loosing my marbles in the last leg (pun intended). I though I was a good swimmer until I joined a masters club last week..OMG, I think I'm going to die! 25 Meters was about as far as I could get the first night without feeling like my lungs were going to implode! But after three workouts, I get to 75 without my eyes popping out...We'll get there!!!

Keep your chin up, and try to find someone to Tri with...I can only imagine it being a great support system! (If not, you will always have BT!!)

2005-04-30 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Soopergirl - Hey Sarah, welcome and maybe the wife and I will run into you some time up in Ottawa.  We live in upstate New York and like to spend time up there.  Maybe you should pick a specific race and then have a goal to work towards.  My wife and I were planning on the Early Bird there but some things came up and I am now in Alabama for a few months and will miss out.  Good luck with it and enjoy!

Machiavelo - If you see this, just wanted to let you know that I won't be making up to Ottawa in May so will have to meet you some other time. 

2005-04-30 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
manitoba, canada
Welcome to BT!! I'm now a Winnipegger, but I grew up in Ottawa (Stittsville to be exact) and still think of OTtawa as home.  Ran one of my first 5K's on a visit home to the family.  Ottawa has a lot of beautiful places to bike and run - good luck with  your training!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Ottawa Rss Feed