General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles tendonitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-25 4:52 PM

User image

Swansea, Wales. UK
Subject: Achilles tendonitis

Last november I ruptured my left achilles tendon and needed surgery to repair the damage. Amazingly I was off crutches by mid January, undergoing physio and light gym work by Feb. Not bad I thought.

So to my problem. The left achilles is now fairly much healed. After a good warm up I'm confident that it will hold up to more or less anything I can throw at it, I've even had a game or two of squash without much discomfort. My main concern is my right achilles. It transpires that I have a history of scaring and now suffer from tendonitis. Reading up on the net, the only treatment I can find is rest or surgery. It had the best part of 3 months rest and that didn't help much and there's no chance of surgery until a rupture occurs - and I REALLY don't want to go through that again. I've bought new running shoes and try to wear padded running socks to provide as much protection as possible, but I still feel discomfort after about 5 mins of running. I hate running with a vengence, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad if my body would just get on the programme!

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

2005-04-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: #147841

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: Achilles tendonitis
I had develop this earlier in March. I started to incorporate some barefoot running into my routine. That stretched my calf and achilles so it felt good running. I visited a site www.smiweb.org/guides and followed they're stretches. My achilles no longer hurts. I now do every other run barefoot at a local park. My legs are stronger and I'm injury free. Another site to visit is www.barefootrunning.org

Mike
2005-04-27 3:00 PM
in reply to: #149038

User image

Swansea, Wales. UK
Subject: RE: Achilles tendonitis

Thanks for the SMI address. I had been doing the beginners excercises for my ruptured achilles but had stopped since finishing physio. Back to the drills! The barefoot running sounds a good idea, I'll try that for and let you know how I get on.

Cheers 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Achilles tendonitis Rss Feed