General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am BACK! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-22 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
Subject: I am BACK!
ummmm look at me opening up a thread for the first time in 2+ months.
long story short.....was training for a marathon and HIM at same time using mary training as my run training. Went for my sunday long run of a personal best 13.5 miles in 2:01:45, had no pain, did my interval hills workout two days later-again no pain, next morning couldnt walk.
went to doc( who was a runner) told me to wait...waited.....still couldnt walk.
2 Xrays, 1 MRI, was told knee tendonitis (what knee tendonitis lasts 2+ months without use?) anywhoo- a crapload of waiting and i am finally feeling good. not 100% but close. did a small 1.4 mile run at a very slow 12minute/mile this past weekend and went for a 10 mile bikeride- again no pain.
so im back, but i also got a few questions.
Im pretty sure it was overuse injury that caused it.
How does one come back from that injury-more specifically the running portion-obviously i don't think i can go right back to where i was, but should i be running slow like i did on saturday or try for a more realistic pace like a 10minute mile ( i was avg'ing about 8/mile before for shorter runs and 9-9:30/mile for long runs)
my plan is to ease myself back in, but ive never had to deal with this before and don't want it to flair up again and have to stop again- the horrible depression during those months was bad enough because i couldnt train.
the other question was i want to do the miami man 70.3 in november which i feel is far enough away, i scrapped the disney marathon for january as i feel the cross-training from swimming and biking will be better for building the strength back up in my knee and around it rather than focusing solely on running.
any advice as usual is appreciated and ITS GOOD TO BE BACK!

2009-06-22 6:07 PM
in reply to: #2235304

User image

Veteran
Roxborough Park
Subject: RE: I am BACK!
I have no answers for you... but I just wanted to say congratulations on recovering!  Hopefully you stay healthy now.
2009-06-22 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2235304

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Subject: RE: I am BACK!

12 min mile sounds like the smart thing.  Just for a while.....But then I seldom do the smart thing myself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am BACK! Rss Feed