General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Front zipper or rear zipper on tri suit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-23 10:40 AM

Regular
Subject: Front zipper or rear zipper on tri suit?
I was looking at purchasing a new tri suit.  Had my eye on the Zoot Ultra TX.  Right before pulling the trigger I noticed the zipper is in the rear.  What gives.  I like to zip done on bike if hot.  I take the entire top down on run.  I presently have the LG tri suit.  The next model down of the Zoot has a regular front zipper.  

Curious to what others think about the placement of the zipper.  Only thing I can think of is the Zoot zipper is a tear away zipper like my Xterra Velocity.  Which I love.  But with this type of zipper how would you put it back up if you wanted to?

Seems to be a major flaw.

Edited by bartturner 2009-06-23 10:41 AM

2009-06-23 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2236868

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Front zipper or rear zipper on tri suit?
I have both.  One with it in the back and one with it in the front.

I agree, the one in the back is a PITA...  I only use that one for races in cooler temps that I know I won't need to unzip to cool off OR need to go to the bathroom.
2009-06-23 12:43 PM

User image

Leesburg, Va
I been running an ORCA suit that has the rear zipper, oddly enough it keeps me pretty cool. I too often take the top down on the run or on the bike depending on how hot the sun is, but I don't have much of a problem getting to the zipper, I think some of it is because the suit has a pretty high neck, more like a shirt less like a tank. But I dig it
2009-06-23 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
The ITU changed their rules last (two?) year that zippers for elites had to be in the back.  The word is that this will start to be enforced for AG competitors in ITU events starting this year or next so I expect you will see more suits with the back zipper.

Apparently the decision was based upon sponsors (so that athletes didn't have to remember to zip up their suit at the end of a race) and also so that names and nationalities are clearly visible at the finish.

So we have this:

Instead of this:

Shane
2009-06-23 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
i have a zoot race suit and by the time the run starts i have to unzip since i am too hot.

last sprint i just opted for shorts.  but noticed alot of suits have zippers in the back.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Front zipper or rear zipper on tri suit? Rss Feed