General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasons why Beginnertriathlete is the best site Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-06-25 6:27 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-25 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2241693

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-25 6:53 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Reasons why Beginnertriathlete is the best site
No argument at all that BT is a great site anf forum. One early comment in that thread I did find interesting was:

"It is the opposite of running: cheap, simple and anyone can do it. To be a top runner, you have to be faster than a huge pool of competitors. To be a top triathlete, you have to be pretty good at three different sports and have the expendable income to purchase high end gear. We, as runners, feel that we have more to brag about with our accomplishments - after all, our sport is more competitive and doesn't depend heavily on the size of our wallets.

Triathletes interpret the miniscule participation in their sport to mean that other people are too weak to compete with them. They do not stop to consider that it could be due instead to a lack of interest. It is the same with ultra-marathoners. You, me and your cousin could probably walk-jog 100 miles, but we have better things to do with our time. We don't do ultra-marathons because we don't want to, not because we can't.
This is an important distinction and I think there would be much less animosity between triathletes/ultra-runners and normal runners if the former group understood this a little better."

Having my a@# handed to me at the Boston marathon, I can see what he is saying. Kind of worth a discussion in and of itself.
2009-06-25 7:00 AM

No kidding - I had no idea runners were so in love with themselves and hated triathletes so much. At the end of the day, who the heck cares? I'm glad these people have the spare time in their lives to complain/hate so much - I guess that's what keeps them warm at night...

I think we also have to keep in mind that even these people only represent a portion of the population of runners, not all of them. So I say as triathletes, we embrace the runners and kill 'em with kindness - nothing will irk them more....

HA!
2009-06-25 7:02 AM

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
Wow, interesting stuff.  But you hear this kind of thing all the time, and not just from runners talking about triathletes.  Everyone wants to think that their sport is harder than everyone elses.

The comment that bryancd posted is interesting, because I don't think the runner understands that there are more than likely people who are faster runners than him/her, but don't have the intrest to come out and give it a try.  His line of thinking applies to every sport out there.

WHOOPS - reread the comment and now see that it was about participation in the sport, and not competitivness. 

Edited by davealt 2009-06-25 7:07 AM
2009-06-25 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2241742

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
roadnoob412 - 2009-06-25 8:00 AM
I think we also have to keep in mind that even these people only represent a portion of the population of runners...

x1,000,000.

I can promise that the theme of the letsrun.com post is not prevalent among any runners I know.

Edited by davealt 2009-06-25 7:04 AM

2009-06-25 7:08 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
What's funny is that there is a degree of truth to the joke that if you can't be outstanding in one sport, being mediocre in three sports can make you a great triathlete!
2009-06-25 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2241749

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
letsrun is always good for a laugh or two.
2009-06-25 7:24 AM

Veteran
Milton Keynes, UK
Sadly I wasted 10 minutes I'll never get back reading a few pages of that forum.

I think they miss the point of the many personal reasons why people do Triathlons.

You're right, BT is a great site with great members that post about decent topics to help one another out.

2009-06-25 7:26 AM

New user
It's full of people that want to help each other grow as triathletes.

I've only been here a few weeks and have learned so much from others on the forums.
2009-06-25 7:30 AM

Expert
Broadlands

I love that thread, had me in stitches reading through it, I particularly enjoy when they seem to be turning on each other, then ultra marathoners, then making nasty comments about each other perhaps not being smart, telling each other to go learn some history, said with some real venom i think.

I will for sure go back there when work starts to suck and I can't think of a way to get out and train, that's my new release....reading letsrun.com threads for a laugh.

2009-06-25 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2241754

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
bryancd - 2009-06-25 8:08 AM What's funny is that there is a degree of truth to the joke that if you can't be outstanding in one sport, being mediocre in three sports can make you a great triathlete!

Agreed.  It is why I migrated back to the sport.

That is one of the reasons I like to go back and do pure running races and bike races.  It is good to be humbled and in the middle of the bunch with pure one-sport events.  Puts a much better perspective on the "good" results I get from tris.

My stand alone 5k PR is mediocre at best in a good running race even though it is faster than most amateur triathletes have or will ever run.

It is good to get your azz kicked every now and then to keep the ego in check.

Edited by Daremo 2009-06-25 7:50 AM
2009-06-25 8:26 AM

Regular
Ruckersville
Funniest part of the whole thread:

Q: If you are at a party how can you tell who the triathlete in the room is?

A: You don't have to they will tell you
2009-06-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2241910

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

While there's no doubt that having enough money for good gear helps and it's an expensive sport, I think the runners there are a bit too high and mighty as well.  While certainly there are very good runners and elite events like the Boston Marathon, there are plenty of people participating in runnning events who are not doing much more than showing off how they've been working out (as one commenter said about tris).  Honestly if I can enter a running race and finish middle of the pack, which I usually do (from 5ks to half marathons, anyway) there are a LOT of people who are out there doing nothing more than jogging and doing it for the fun of the event and to finish.  In fact, just looking at finish times I am a better runner than a triathlete.  Which isn't saying a lot.

Regarding the whole idea that money can buy you speed, which is totally true and I don't deny it, I'd like to point out this can happen in running as well.  It's not obvious in the gear used to complete the race, but in the training.  Have you seen Spirit of the Marathon?  How much money do you think Deena Kastor spends training each year?  I doubt the trips to PT are a bargain and certainly she has a coach and other people on her "team."

Anyway, the best single comment on that thread:

"youre a premature ejaculator!"

2009-06-25 8:43 AM

Champion
Alabama

Facinating thread that just drips with jealousy. 

I can't tell you the number of runners that I've suggested they try a triathlon who say "I would love to do a triathlon but I can't swim very (very well)".

Personally, I don't see a whole lot of differnce in runners and triathletes.  You have extremes and goofy people in both sports....but it always psses me off when I see everyone dumped into the bucket.

I say we go over there and kick their wimpyasses!

~Mike

2009-06-25 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2241947

Champion
Alabama

BikerGrrrl - 2009-06-25 8:43 AM

Anyway, the best single comment on that thread:

"youre a premature ejaculator!"

Yeah I saw that too.  I loved this one:  "Soooo, your folks called you Peg because you have one leg? "

From now Iwill (affectionately) call all all my runner friends "Peg" because they only do one leg.  :-)

~Mike

2009-06-25 9:12 AM

Master
Livonia, MI

These are probably the same people that are acting supportive and giving you a high five when you tell them about the tri you did last weekend.  It's real easy to run your mouth when you're hiding behind a keyboard and a pseudonym.

2009-06-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2241749

davealt - 2009-06-25 8:04 AM
roadnoob412 - 2009-06-25 8:00 AM
I think we also have to keep in mind that even these people only represent a portion of the population of runners...

x1,000,000.

I can promise that the theme of the letsrun.com post is not prevalent among any runners I know.

x3. The runner-only folks that I know are all very cool and humble. But that thread is sort of right - the runners I know never talk about running, unless they're talking to another runner, and even then, they don't ALWAYS talk about running. Unlike many triathletes, esp. the higher-performing ones, who will talk to anyone who will listen, or not. Not to say that there aren't exceptions on both sides, because there are. But in general, that is what I've observed.

2009-06-25 9:27 AM

over a barrier
Anytime I'm having a bad day, I always go to letsrun.....there is pure gold on their forums. Half the time, I think its just a bunch of dudes in the same room trying to one up each other.

My fav so far: POD

The majority of this thread is like idiots calling morons a buncha dorks...

Edited by running2far 2009-06-25 9:38 AM
2009-06-25 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2241754

Coach
Boston, MA
bryancd - 2009-06-25 7:08 AM What's funny is that there is a degree of truth to the joke that if you can't be outstanding in one sport, being mediocre in three sports can make you a great triathlete!

true, however as the sport keeps on growing and the ITU keeps on pushing to make the sport for elites worth it and enable them to make a better living out of it I think now it is a bit different. Nowadays there are young athletes wanting to be triathletes because they indeed like the sport and not necessarely they are mediocre at other sports. The level of talent competing at the ITU races keeps on getting better, I think it is great for our sport! Plus at the end of the day triathletes strive to be the fastest at 1 sports and that's swim + t1 + bike + t2 + run.
2009-06-25 9:47 AM

Champion
the colony texas

I watched a run race today and must say that there were quite some "not so good looking guys" at the front. It's definitely easier to get laid if you look like the average triathlete. As always in life, it's all about priorities.

truer words have never been spoken

2009-06-25 9:51 AM

Champion
New York, NY
my favorite part:

An open letter to "letsrun (or letswhine) runners"

I am a Triathlete and I am in love with myself because I am vastly better than 97.3% of you....

Yes it’s true.... I am smarter and more driven than you. My huge disposable income has allowed me to amass a bike and wetsuit collection worth more than your house.

I am in better overall physical condition much better looking than you and as a result pick up way more than you.

I have my Mdot tattoo waxed bi-weekly.

You may think that I strut around pre race basking in my own near blinding awesomeness, sneering at the lesser creatures that bleat about their petty endeavours as they scurry about. You are wrong I really don’t even notice you.

Don’t hate me for your own self loathing and lack of individual fulfilment. I can’t help it that because of the sport I have chosen to practice I am so much better than you.... I should not have to stay indoors just so you can feel less miserable about your pointless existence.

Don’t judge me because running on its own is a sport of poverty and boredom that lacks any style, flair or character at all but the international elite level.

I am in love with myself because I am a contented narcissist who is extremely awesome. (The unawesome will never understand).... My life is really really good.

Why not feel happy for me? I do……"

totally had me in stitches
2009-06-25 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2242227

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
I never even visit letsrun any more. The signal to noise ratio is just way too high, way too many underdeveloped adolescents.

John
2009-06-25 9:58 AM

Master
Breckenridge, CO
bryancd - 2009-06-25 5:53 AM (who quoted from the other thread)
"Triathletes interpret the miniscule participation in their sport to mean that other people are too weak to compete with them. They do not stop to consider that it could be due instead to a lack of interest. "

I guess I'm a triathlete (although I think this is the first time I've ever called myself that), but "lack of interest" is the only consideration that I almost ever make about anybody who is doing one thing and not another.

IMO, the idea from the thread is widespread throughout society. EG.

SOME:
High altitude mountaineers look down on sport climbers.
Tele-skiers look down on alpine skiers.
Backcountry skiers look down on lift riding skiers.
Etc, etc, etc.

The strangest example that I've seen locally is that it appears to me I live is the only place on earth where it's a requirement to know how long you've lived here. The reason is so that others can decide if they should look down upon you or respect you. From what I've surmised the primary look-down order is:

Locals (and girls)
-------------------
Robin Theobold (local who's family's been here since ~1870 and who owns much of the local property)
Local born/raised.
Longtime local who moved here as a ski bum in the olden days and made good (30+ years local).
Longtime local who moved here when the ski area was popular (20+ years). **
Longtime local who is recent (10+ years) (<-- me). **
Any attractive female. **
True local (5+ years) **
Any female.
Longtime local who missed out on the real estate boom by being in the bars too much.
Apprentice local (3+ years)

** Some exaggeration is OK depending on how many beers each party has consumed.

Non-locals
------------
Unproven local (2+ years)
Wannabe local, Front Range (spends lots of time here and will say they're local if asked)
Seasonal local (one ski season+)
Wannabe local (1 month+, 95% chance of never making True Local)
2nd home owner local (AKA Satan. Summers or winters depending on preference)
2nd home owner visitor(AKA Satan x2. Week here and there)
Regular visitor(AKA Angel w/wallet to drain. week here and there but goes home.)
Visitor (AKA Angel w/wallet to drain x2, long weekend here and there planning to spend $$$)
Tourist (AKA Gaper. First time or non-regular visitor. Still hated regardless of wallet size)
Any non-local from Texas. (No words to describe...) (I'm from Texas, BTW.)
------------

Again, this isn't *my* order as I *try* not to "look down" on anybody for any preference that's legal, healthy, and moral. It's just what I've observed locally over the years. Pardon the detail, I've always wanted to get this theory "on paper".

There are also important look-down orders for ski ability, cycling ability, and gear ownership, as well but that's about it.
Money, cars, jobs, etc means almost nothing to anybody here.
2009-06-25 9:59 AM

Veteran
I 100% dispute the expensive part.

Trishort, not that expensive.
Shoes, well, you should have some.
Bike, most people have one, most could borrow one and Craig's list/yard sale/classified ads can get a usable bike for a couple hundred bucks.  I would have no problem borrowing a decent road bike for a race if I wanted.  Get clipped pedals and you are good to go with your running shoes.

Other than that, it's the accessories/upgrades you choose to buy.

It's like fixing things at home.  A set of screwdrivers a few wrenches, drill and saw will do most projects but we choose to buy the hardware store because it's more efficient or we just plain want some cool toys.

Yes, I got a new cordless tool set for Fathers day.  Mostly because I wanted new and better tools. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasons why Beginnertriathlete is the best site Rss Feed  

of 4