General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire pressure for road slicks on a mountain bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-26 8:55 PM

Subject: Tire pressure for road slicks on a mountain bike
Hi, I'm working on getting my s together so to speak for my first triathlon.  For the biking portion, I decided to to put road slicks on my mountain bike.  The question I have is, any feeling on what tire pressure I should use for the road tires?  I'm about 195 pounds.  I've read that mountain bike tires should be at about 40 psi and road bikes at about 100 psi, so I'm guessing I'd be somewhere in between?  I filled them up to about 80 psi, and just by feel it doesn't seem like enough pressure.  My bike pump has a gauge and it seems like my mountain bike tires were well above 40 psi though, so maybe that's what's confusing me.  Any thoughts?

2009-06-26 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2246700

User image

Expert
NoVA
Subject: RE: Tire pressure for road slicks on a mountain bike
Not to sound like a smarta@@ but I just went with the pressure listed on the side of the tire....  (and sorry but I can't remember off the top of my head what it was other then it wasn't 120psi.......)  Check your slicks---the recommended psi should be on the side.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tire pressure for road slicks on a mountain bike Rss Feed