General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello-need help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-22 9:31 AM

New user

St Petersburg, Florida
Subject: Hello-need help!
Hi, I am new here. I have been working slowly toward my goal of completing tri this year, but making steady progress. I am signed up for my first tri in august in st pete, Fl. I am also signed up to run a couple of 5k runs in the area over the next couple of months. This site is great, and I have gotten a lot of helpful tips. Now I need specific help.

I am having trouble with pain in my legs. After making regular gains over the last few months I am now getting throbbing pain on the inside portion of my calf/leg bone area. It does not hurt when walking, but when I start to run it just kills me. I have tried to run through the pain and that just makes it worse. Any suggestions on getting through this? I iced my legs after and it helped. I dont know how long I should wait before I try running again. I will try and do more riding until it is better, but I want to get back to running asap because I need to be ready for my first 5k in a month, and I have not yet reached the point of running that distance yet.

2004-03-22 10:07 AM
in reply to: #13667

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Hello-need help!
Sounds like it shinsplints. Here is a couple of links to more info:

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spshin.html

http://beginnertriathlete.com/shin_splints.htm

If you are not increasing your intensity/length by much, you may want to visit a Running Store or a "runner" friendly doctor (either Sports Med or Podiatrist ) and have them analyze your running gait. You may need to change your shoes or have orthotics made.
2004-03-22 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree with JayC, it sounds like shin splints. Do follow his advice and also do NOT keep "jogging through the pain"; it will only exacerbate the problem. I know from experience that "jogging through the pain" is a serious no-no with shin splints, having been laid off a whole season because of it.
2004-03-22 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

plus a visit to your doctor or a physical therapist will dispel any misgivings and get you on the right track specifically for you the fastest.  after numerous trys of self-diagnosis, i gave up went went to the doc about tendonitis...best 30minutes i ever did....running up to 66minutes now with no pain plus little downtime was had.

good luck.

2004-03-22 1:28 PM

New user

St Petersburg, Florida
I appreciate the advice. I am considering a docter, because the pain is not where I normally feel shin splints. It is about 2 to 3 inches more on the inside of my leg.
I have also looked for a running specific store but have not had any luck yet. Would a store like champs or athletes foot be a good alternative?

Also, the 10% rule I see everywhere, how important is this? If I am feeling good it is so hard to just stop. I like pushing myself to go farther. If I dont go for as long and as far as I think I can then I feel like I did not do enough. Any thoughts?
2004-03-23 5:06 PM
in reply to: #13709

User image

Champion
Gold member

i used to have your mentality about pushing myself further if i was feeling great.  those endorphins are two-timing though!  i was always laid up with some stupid injury.  i heard about the 10%rule in a lot of places and made these programs out of it.  no problems.  incidentally, i started running after achilles tendinitis at 20min to start...been following the run part exactly running 2-3 times/week, 10% increase/week, EZ week every 4rth week and following the EZ week only starting up at my most recent highest volume...in essence only actually going up in volume for 2 out of 4 weeks.  currently doing a nice 1 hour 6min run for the long runs.  no achilles problems.  i have never done this before when i trained by my endorphins.

pushing yourself in endurance sports and making jumps in volume, if feel, is going to do u in.  If u have a good base and been doing this for awhile and have a coach then maybe u can get away with this...or if you have good genes.  but for most of us, it will catch up to ya...especially with any preexisting injuries.

i did it again...rambling.  so sorry.  (yawn, yawn)

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello-need help! Rss Feed