General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bellingham, Washington
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 33s
Overall Rank = 42/262
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

My sister spent the night so she could come along and help take care of the boys. We have a baby due in August and my wife is on light duty. She still insisted on coming to the race though. On Saturday I got up at 5 AM and loaded the car up with everything. Woke the family up so we could try to leave by 6:30. Ended up leaving at 7. Got to the park at 8 which gave me just enough time to check in and get body marked.
Event warmup:

None really, unless you count looking at the baby ducks with my boys. I did eat a gel 15 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 13m 18s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was self seeded so I tried to get in the 2nd wave, but didn't get in until the 3rd. This swim was good for me. I have only down one OWS this year and my pool time has been very limited. I was really happy with how this turned out. I actually managed to draft during the swim for the first time ever. I was a little worried about getting booted in the face, but it never happened.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more and swim faster if I want to be competitive during the swim portion.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

T1 was good. 2nd fastest in my age group. I was all the way at the back of transition, so I had a long way to run in my bike shoes with my bike. It went smoothly though.

Get to the race earlier so I can get a good transition spot.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 21s
  • 21 miles
  • 19.89 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course is great! Leaving transition there is a nice uphill stretch of road and I always struggle to keep my heart from beating out of my chest on this part. Once I made it to the top, I calmed down a bit and then started focusing on picking people off. I passed a lot of people during the ride. there were some really fast downhill portions and a couple of really good climbs. I managed to even pass on the hills. My goal going in to this race was to average 20 on the bike, which I almost did. I ate 1 gel on the bike and drank 3/4 bottle of a 50/50 gatorade, water mix.

I have not been doing enough long rides this year. More time in the saddle will lead to faster bike splits. There is no magic potion.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

2nd fastest in my AG. Flying dismount was great.

Did I mention yet that I need to show up earlier to get a primo spot :)
Run
  • 38m
  • 5.2 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I'll be honest, I was not thrilled with this run. I had hoped to run it in more like 35 minutes. But anyway...My first lap around the lake was in 20 minutes and so I negative split the run, which was awesome. I passed a bunch of people and was only passed by 2 people who were both on the 2nd lap while I was on the first. I cramped up 2 miles in and had to slow down for a bit. After the cramp went away, I was able to pick it up again.

I have got to get this cramping thing figured out. It has happened in my last 3 running events. I think I need to up my mileage and intesnsity during my run training.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some HEED and then hung out with my family for awhile and watched the other finishers come in. Ate some muffins and licorice and some Erin Bakers granola and cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training in all 3 sports.

Event comments:

This race is hands down my favorite in the area! They do a great job from start to finish. Lots of good swag and a nice tech t-shirt. I got a couple of pairs of socks and a comemorative glass, but they also gave away a wetsuit, some speedplay pedals, a nice set of profie design bars, some Rudy Project sunglasses and then tons of other little stuff. This race is great!

Last updated: 2009-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:18 | 880 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/18
Overall: 0/262
Performance: Good
Suit: F2R full
Course: Out and back around a green buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:21 | 21 miles | 19.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Performance:
Wind:
Course: A nice course around Lake Samish and then back up to Lake Padden. There were a few hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:00 | 05.2 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops around Lake Padden. Course is shaded and is crushed rock.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-29 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division

2009-06-29 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2250136

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division
Nice RR.  Glad to hear that it is a favorite.
2009-06-29 1:27 PM

User image

Awesome job.  It was a great race.
2009-06-29 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Great race Dan!! I'd take that run time any day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Padden Triathlon - Competitive Division Rss Feed