General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie needs guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-28 10:46 AM

New user

Subject: Newbie needs guidance
First of all let me say hello to everyone and thanks to the moderator for a wonder site. Happened upon it by accident but this seems to be the place i have been looking to find for quite sometime now. Now to scratch the surface of the questions i have and really dont know where to begin. I guess the number one question is where to begin. I set a goal late last year to do a marathon, while training one day for reasons unknown to even me I figured i would do a triathlon too. Then in all of my wisdom I talked myself into finishing an Ironman. I am sure somewhere down the road i will choose some sort of a time but for the moment my only two goals are to stay healthy while training and not finish last. I figure as long as i keep up longer weekend runs my running should be ok. The bike is going to take some work but for me its just a matter of putting in the time as i have with running as i used to bike alot. My downfall is going to be getting swim endurance up. I have recently jump in the pool to see where i stood as anyone could have imagined I think the first day i could squeek out about 50 yards before i felt like i was going to die. This for me was a tough slap in the face as i have grown up around the water, feel very comfortable in the water and surf alot. However i knew with a little work and patience that would all change. I knew nothing about proper swim technique let alone efficiency in the water. So after a couple weeks of hitting the pool and working on breathing, technique and trying to be efficient i now swim a slow but comfortable 250 yards rest 1 minute and swim 100 yard repeats usually 2 or 3 more times. On a side note i have gone for a couple ocean swims and find that it feels like i swim close to 2x as far with the same effort (wetsuit of course). So getting back to the main question, knowing my running endurance is great, my bike is good but does need some work and my swim in my opinion is non existant, where should i begin? I would appreciate any input anyone has as this is all new to me.

Cheers

Thomas

2005-04-28 11:02 AM
in reply to: #149428

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: RE: Newbie needs guidance
IMHO, you ought to start with sprint distance to get experience with the sport and build up through at least Olympic or half Iron distance before going for full Ironman. It's a huge stress on your body and you'd be smart to give yourself a few seasons to build up to it. There's also a lot of sport-specific stuff to figure out (I mean, the chafing issues alone are huge!) and you'll have a lot more success if you've competed at the shorter distances to work out the kinks.

Good luck,

Carrie
2005-04-28 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
i agree, i would start with a few sprints, to make sure you like the whole triathlon experience (of course you will) then you can climb the tri ladder.

Good Luck to you
2005-04-28 11:09 AM

New user

I know this isnt something that going to happen this year or even next but it is a goal that is attainable (at least in my mind). Believe me i learned first hand about chafing, first was my inner thigh which went away after my first long run, however i think i need a new set of nipples after this past weekend half i ran. I had no idea the that part of a mans body could bleed so much, I am now working to rectify that and think i have come up with something that works. Another question while i am thinking about it, what is eveyones view on using a mountain bike for rather than a road / racing bike. Keep in mind i am in this for the sense of accomplishment. Thanks for your input I look forward to seeing what others have to say.

Thomas
2005-04-28 11:23 AM
in reply to: #149442

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

If you are planning an Iron distance race, you are going to need a road bike... or a tri bike... 112 miles on a mountain bike with nobby tires and mountain bike gearing is going to wear you out.

I have to agree with CLLinIA... try a sprint distance first... if you think that's too short... train for an Olympic distance... see if you even LIKE the sport. Everyone here, obviously does, but there ARE those people out there who try a triathlon and vow to NEVER do it again... (WE don't understand how they think...) THEN, determine what your goals are... and sink the money into the sport to get the proper equipment. You may need/want a coach... you are going to want a new bike... (believe me... it's a disease) new triathlon shorts, various pieces of swimming equipment... you might even join a gym... who knows... but make sure it's something you want to do... an Ironman is a 9-12 month constant committment. Sounds like your running and biking background is solid! Train your weakness... get your swimming up to snuff and see how you do on a Sprint/Olympic course....

That being said... GOOD LUCK... and hope to read your race report(s) soon!!!

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-04-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #149442

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
ifican - 2005-04-28 10:09 AM
Another question while i am thinking about it, what is eveyones view on using a mountain bike for rather than a road / racing bike. Keep in mind i am in this for the sense of accomplishment. Thanks for your input I look forward to seeing what others have to say.

Thomas

If you're thinking of using a MTB for sprint distance, just to get the experience, etc., that's great and no problem. You'll see lots of others on MTBs. You might swap out for skinnier tires just to save yourself all that road friction, but generally no worries. For any longer distance you really should look into a tri-specific bike, which is different from a road bike and will do very nice things for you like make you much faster and save your legs for the run.

2005-04-28 2:05 PM

Clearwater, Fl
Thomas-
Congrats on training! All of the endeavours you have listed are awesome, good luck! I believe what will help you the most is coaching. Believe it or not, there is alot to learn not only on the bike, but also in the run. You can go out and try your hardest, everyday and not see where you need form work, by no fault of your own. Now, the next logical question is where can you find a coach? I know from experience that the BEST way to get swimming and running form work is your local high schools. Sounds unorthodox, but it works. Try to find a good swim team and talk to the coach about working with you for a few private lessons. The same thing applies to the track/cross country team. These people help get kids into college, it's their passion. Now bike coaching is where life gets complicated. I think your best bet is to ask the guys at a reputable bike shop in your area. I know how much I learned from riding with some ex-pros. Yeah, they are scary fast, but they give you insight on biking that you never dreamed of!(I know I was clueless!)

In review:
1)Get some coaching!
2)Have fun!
3)Get a comfy bike for IM!!
2005-04-28 4:31 PM

New user

Thanks for all the kinds words eveyone and i will take all the info to heart. I found out today my swimming is not as bad as i had thought, have only been back in the pool maybe 3 weeks so i was not expecting to much, but early today i went to the gym and swam an very slow but fairly effortless 500 yards. Now if my calculation are correct thats just over a 1/4 mile. Granted not 2 + but its not bad for where i am in training. I was looking at the sprint distance but it just seemed like it would be to easy, however i will look into a sprint tri shortly after the Rock N Roll marathon in early June.

Assuming that this is a hobby of mine is there any input on a reasonable bike, i dont mind spending more later if its something i really really want to get into but i cant get myself right now to spend 2-3K on a bike that i might not use very often. I am looking for something on the low end thats quality, granted i know im going to probably give up a lot in weight but i will deal with it for now. I recently pickup up a good wetsuit so that part is done but the bike side of the house i have not even begun to look into. Thanks again....

Thomas
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie needs guidance Rss Feed