General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Neglect Your Mental Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-29 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: Don't Neglect Your Mental Training
Hey, guys!!  I'm generally a question poster here on BT, but I'm coming down to the last few weeks of training for my first HIM (7/19 Musselman), and have been thinking a lot about mental training.  For all of the advice and talk we see about physical training, it's rare to see posts about the mental side of the sport beyond HTFU (which is very useful, BTW!).  I am a professional musician and mental training is invaluable to performance skills.  Many sports psychologists also coach musicians, and I think there are a lot of similarities.

So during my physical taper, I will be focusing on a mental build.  Here are some of the things I am doing:

1.  I have made a playlist of songs that inspire me, get me excited, push me to the end.  It is pretty short, so I can really remember all of the songs.  I am going to listen to it a lot during the next few weeks, and associate certain parts of my race with certain songs...a pre-race song, a get on the bike and go song, a keep-going you-can-make-it song, a finish song, a song for the long hill at mile 8 in the run...etc.  I know you can't use an ipod during the race, but that doesn't mean you can't have your own playlist in your head.
2.  I'm going to make an effort during all workouts from here on out, to visualize myself on the course.  To see myself running strong, biking hard, and swimming smoothly and easily.  I'm going to see myself doing well and feeling great.
3.  I'm going to mentally practice each step of my transitions.  I can do this anywhere, so it's like free training time.
4.  I'm going to stay positive and speak only positive things about my race..."I will finish strong"  "I will have fun" "I will cheer others on"  "I will smile"

I know a lot of this sounds a little dorky, but it really works for me and my students in music performance.  I'll let you know how it worked for triathlon after I finish my race strong with a smile on my face!

If anyone else has tips on mental preparation, I would love to hear them!

2009-06-29 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2251081

User image

Subject: RE: Don't Neglect Your Mental Training
I think this sounds like an excellent plan.  I just did my first triathlon this past weekend and 1/2 way though the swim, I realized that I didn't really feel like biking or running when I got out of the water.  But, I HTFU'd and finished within the time goal I had set for myself.  I think it was just the initial mental block that took me a while to get over.  I've definitely realized that I need to keep the mental aspect in mind for my next tri in September.
2009-06-29 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA
There are some excellent books for mental training. I'll dig some of mine out and post some names later tonight.  It is often something folks do no training. Training mental strength while doing doing your workouts helps you ingrain good mental habits come race day. Being mentally tough is huge and that comes easily for some but harder for others.

I'm already practicing my IM race day mantras so they are part of me even though I have 62 days until race day.

One thing that can help us all is stay moment focused while racing. While swimming focus on that, develop a phrase or mantra that will help you be calm and remember any points you need to keep in your mind. Once you are done with your swim move on to transition, and onto the bike. If problems occur deal with them but don't dwell on them once you have moved on. You only have the ability to control yourself right now.

My coach last year before my IM gave me some mental exercises to do daily before the race to help me be positive and not get in a bad or negative place. One was to make a daily list of positive things that happened with my training and review it weekly. Other was make a list of what I'm really good at related to racing and being prepared and review that weekly as well.
2009-06-29 3:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-29 4:04 PM

Expert
Not dorky!

Very useful visualisation. I do it all the time, I pretend I'm in the tour de france on my trainer sprinting for the finish line and throw my hands up in the air when I'm in the garage on my trainer lol.
2009-06-29 6:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
Have you tried to come to the venue at night before your race? I usually do that before my show/event. I spent some time alone just to look and "feel" the surrounding.

They say it always quiet before a storm..

2009-06-29 6:14 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I'm always positive and encouraging others during the race while I'm racing.  I'm always psyched up.

2009-06-29 6:23 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Hugely underrated aspect of training, IMHO.  I'll come at it from a slightly different angle....

It seems commonsense that when everything is going well, well, it's going well during a race. Equipment is spot on, nutrition is locked in, conditions are good. No worries. But what if something isn't right? 

One of the biggest benefits to mental training, IMHO, is to eliminate the shock of the unexpected....I find myself, when encountering the unknown, take a little while to pause to acclimate, then get my bearings. And sometimes STILL make the wrong decision...let yourself go down the path of cramps on the swim, flat tire in T1 you weren't counting on, upset stomach, launched bottle, huge wind or rain, someone moved your stuff in T1, two flats, water station out of water, etc.  How would you handle it?  Visualizing your reaction(s) are invaluable....because if it ever happens in a race, your first thought won't be 'OH GOD, what do I do' and the paralysis that comes with it, you'll be past that and ready for action. 

Not to discount the value of visualizing things going well, and your pacing. If you ever watch a downhill skiier, or a cycling time-trialist in their pre-race routine, they're eyes-closed, visualizing every turn through the course. It's a proven technique, it works, and it helps.
2009-06-29 6:58 PM

Master
I find that mental aspects of the game are a big deal in slow, long distance training. Most people can go a LOT farther than they imagine. Most people give up at the fatigue point, but in reality, you can keep on going (slowly) for much, much longer until you start encountering real cramping. 

Speedy/fast training is not so mental for me, but more physical. No matter how badly I want to run those blazing fast paces during interval day, it's not happening unless the body can keep up.  
2009-06-29 9:19 PM

New user

Arlington, TX
Definitely agree with everyone. For me, once my head quits... I'm done. It's not nearly the problem now as it was in the past, but every now and then I'll have an off day and psych myself out.

Having those familiar positive cues that you mentioned definitely help me. Music is a big one.

Here's one of my weirder ones..
Whenever I re-wrap my roadie bars I always write something on them. It's a familiarity thing I guess, seeing the same msg everytime I look down has a way of re-focusing me.
Here's the last msg:

(By endurance we conquer)

I just re-wrapped with black and I'm trying to decide on what to go with this time. I'm thinking something along the lines of, "Breathe, Fata$$ !"  Cool

Anyway, the book Mind Gym by Gary Mack is pretty good also.

- Matt

Edited by Strychnine 2009-06-29 9:24 PM
2009-06-29 9:36 PM

Expert
Central New Jersey
Kelly, I recently was at a USAT coaching clinic where this very topic was covered and what was suggested was BRILLANT! Take the course map(s) and write out what you are going to say to yourself where/when and practice them on your training rides. For example, let's say there is a hill at mile 17, every mile 17 on your ride you will say to yourself something like "I've climbed harder hills than this, I can climb this on easy!". Positive self talking makes all the difference. Doesn't take long and with today's technology you can even get a "feel" for the course from Google Earth.

Lani

2009-07-03 2:11 AM
in reply to: #2252023

New user

I'm currently reading Mind Gym - pretty good book.

When it comes to mental training, I think the most important question is WHY?  Why are you out there swimming, biking, and running miles and miles?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Neglect Your Mental Training Rss Feed