General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rentals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-29 7:39 PM

Regular
Subject: Bike Rentals
I'm from Georgia but am likely going to fly up to Chicago to visit my girlfriend in late July.  She goes to school here but stays with family during the summer and she wanted me to meet her family (god save me).  We'll be in Northern Chicago suburbs and I was looking into doing the Lake Zurich sprint triathlon on August 2nd.  I'd rather do the Muddy Buddy on the 2nd but I doubt I'm going to find a partner that is going to want to be held back by me.  Nor is my gf up to the task of the Muddy Buddy.

Anyways I think it costs close to $175 to fly my road bike (it'd be cheaper to fly a person and use them as a bike) nor do I have a bike carrier.  So my next option is renting a bike.  I do not care what kind of bike it is.  It can be a full on triathlon bike that would make any IM champ drool, decent road bike or even a mountain bike (as long as it has lockout on the shocks).  I can bring my own clipless pedals/shoes.

If anyone knows of some reputable bicycle shops I could call or have my gf check out that'd be appreciated.  I am on somewhat of a budget (would not like to spend more than $100) so the cheaper the better.  Also since the race is on Sunday I'm guessing shops won't be open for me to return the bike.  So I'd pick it up on Saturday and have my gf return it for me on Monday since I'll be leaving later on that Sunday.

Any help is appreciated
Mark

2009-06-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2251780

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: Bike Rentals

Funny you should mention the Muddy Buddy.  My partner backed out to do Steelhead so I need a partner.  If you are interested send me a PM.  Word of caution - I am very slow!

2009-06-30 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
This website is pretty helpful no matter where in the US you are going http://www.rentabikenow.com/ 

The closest one they recommend is the lake zurich cyclery which I've never been to but they are owned by the same people that own the George Garner cyclery in Northbrook which I did buy a hybrid bike from.  They know their stuff but because of the neighborhood they are in they focus on selling overpriced bikes to rich people who don't ride much.  The sales guy told me they only carry Trek and Specialized caused those are brands their customers recognize.  Not sure how the lake zurich shop is but I would think they should be fine to rent from if not a little overpriced.
2009-06-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2252964

Regular
Proto - Thanks for the info.

Teddie.  Speed doesn't matter to me.  My buddy and I here in Georgia did it in 51minutes or so but we are by no means fast.  We do it just for fun and that's it.  Actually we do it to just go diving into the mud pit which I feel should be 3ft deeper so everyone has no choice but to go all the way in.  And the two free beers!!!

I won't know everything for probably a week or two but I'll let you know for sure.  I'm assuming you have a mountain bike that we'll share.  If someone else asks by all means take them but if you don't have anyone by then I'll be your BMBF (Best Muddy Buddy Forever).  If you do get someone then I'll do the triathlon.

For future reference I'm 25 and 215lbs (So if you are 185 or more we can make the beast).
2009-07-05 7:22 PM

Regular
Hey Teddie.  Just wanted to let you know we decided to move our plans back to late August instead.  My computer crashed (but is now fixed) and I had to get MS Office for my computer since I have an English class that requires a lot of essays for some odd reason and I had to fork over $300 for that.  Though after I bought MS Office my computer crashed and I dropped the class so it kind of doesn't matter.  Oh well that's my luck.

I'll be there arouind August 21st and was hoping to do a triathlon but there doesn't appear to be one except for the kids.  Which sucks because this is a "meet the parents" trip and I was hoping to find stuff to do to avoid too much time with them but wasn't obvious "fun" time with their daughter.

But I wanted to do the Muddy Buddy bad.  When I told my friends I might get to do another one.  Well they are no longer my friends due to jealousy.

Appreciate the info guys.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Rentals Rss Feed