General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer & Road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-06-30 7:22 AM

Houston
Subject: Trainer & Road bike
Okay so I'm borrowing a trainer and a road bike.  This is the first time I have ever been on a road bike and a trainer.  The bike has a "computer"  Assuming the computer is hooked up correctly, how accurate is the information on the computer?

For instance its says I'm going 12 mph, and I know there is no way I'm going that slow.

Do I just take the information with a grain of salt?  Is the cadence at least going to be close to accurate?

Thanks

2009-06-30 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2252470

Regular
Subject: RE: Trainer & Road bike
Do you know that the computer will work with the trainer?

My computer is hooked to the front wheel on my bike which does not move on my trainer.
2009-06-30 7:52 AM

Houston
Not completely sure if the computer is suppose to work with the trainer.  I know the little magnet is on the back wheel.
2009-06-30 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Magnet measures how many turns your rear wheel has made during your ride, and calculates according to the diameter of the wheel to get the total distance.  THen according to how long you have been riding, it calculates your speed.  So it should be pretty accurate mathmatically. 
However.... riding on a trainer is very different from riding on the road.  I tend to ride a lot "slower" on the trainer. 
Some trainer allows you to adjust the friction of the rotar - less friction = easier = faster.  But it does not resemble real road conditions. 

When you set up the computer, make sure you input the diameter correctly - most computer defaults to the 700C wheel which is pretty standard for road bikes (unless you are a smaller person and use the 650 wheel, it is written on your wheel/tires). 

2009-06-30 8:08 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

It should work if the magnet and the pickup are on the rear wheel.  This also assumes the correct coefficient is programmed into the computer for that wheel size.

One way to check -
1.  determine which gears (front and back) you're using while on the trainer
2.  determine your cadence (count the number of times your left leg comes up for one minute)
3.  use the calculator at Sheldon Brown's website to determine speed for the gear ratio & cadence.  Link

2009-06-30 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

I recently went out with a buddy for a ride, he has a cycle computer fitted with the sensor on the rear wheel, after we had covered around 12 miles the cycle computer had us at 2 miles, adjusting the magnet slightly then had us covering 26MPH for the next section, which would be nice but it was all up hill, and neither of us are actually that good, in fact not close :-)

So there can definately be issues with the readings you get, I guess maybe quality of product, battery state in the sensor and head unit, his was a wireless one, so perhaps issues there due to low batteries, but for sure you can get some odd readings.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer & Road bike Rss Feed