General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery Drinks/Protein Shakes and Supplements...advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-01 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Milton Keynes, UK
Subject: Recovery Drinks/Protein Shakes and Supplements...advice

I need some advice on Recovery Drinks/Protein Shakes and Supplements in terms of what to take, when and how much and also to find out what gains/results do you get?

For clarification I’m not talking about nutrition via my main diet/meals as I have 3 young children and I wouldn’t ask my wife to start cooking special meals for me as its not realistic (you’ll probably all say I should make my own meals but I run my own business and only just manage to get home to bath the kids each night and put them to bed so don’t have the time to prepare meals etc) and after all this is a hobby not something I’m paid to do.

However I would like to see some gains through things like recovery drinks/protein shakes/supplements etc.

My current training is normally 3 days per week with each day consisting of a 10-15 mile ride and 2.25 mile run so I don’t think I need to take anything during the training other than water?

My questions therefore are the following:

1)       Who uses what and when and what results have you seen?

2)       What should I be taking directly after any training?

3)       What should I take on a daily basis on top of specific things after training?

Just so you know I am also trying to steadily lose weight so I don’t want to add too many calories to my existing diet.

Literally all I do at the moment is have a banana after my training...pathetic I know! Hence why I need all your help

Rob

2009-07-01 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2255222

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Recovery Drinks/Protein Shakes and Supplements...advice
Bob the Trier! - 2009-07-01 10:07 AM

1)       Who uses what and when and what results have you seen?

I used to use a recovery drink or protein shake.  Didn't notice any difference so I stopped spending money on these.

2)       What should I be taking directly after any training?

Some carbs and protein; according to the studies on recovery, you get the same benefit from chocolate milk as you would from any of the other recovery mixes.

3)       What should I take on a daily basis on top of specific things after training?

Basically, I would stick with real food as much as possible.  I rarely take anything unless it is going to be a long workout (1.5 hour run or 2 hour ride) and then it is only going to be gel and/or sports drink.  Beyond that, I just eat real food and try to keep a reasonable mix of macro nutrients and avoid junk food as much as possible.

Shane

2009-07-01 8:27 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
What Shane said ^^^^.

Don't make it more complicated than it is.  And if you are only doing workouts that are an hour or less, there is even less reason to stress about post workout stuff.  Just drink some fluids and eat normally as soon as you can after your workout.

If your diet completely sucks and you don't want to change it, then think about getting a multi-vitamin to help supplement the nutrients you should be getting in your diet to begin with.
2009-07-01 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Chocolate Milk is the best, cheapest recovery drink there is.  Keepin' it simple!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery Drinks/Protein Shakes and Supplements...advice Rss Feed