General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to figure out what happened to me during my run today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-03 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: Trying to figure out what happened to me during my run today
Hello All,
At the 2.5 mile mark of my planned 6.5 mile run I just had to walk. My lungs felt like they were burning and I was sure my heart rate was sky high. My heart rate wasn't sky high however but that is what it felt like. I walked a bit, ran some more then had to walk again. I was feeling worse and worse as I was making my way back home and at times I just wanted to sit down as I was starting to feel dizzy and didn't think I could walk anymore. It was warm out and I am a heavy sweater but it was only in the 80's and I had fluids with me.  By the time I got home I was totally DONE. (actually I was done way before that).  I made it into the shower and then had a brief bout with nausea and developed a headache. Four Advil and some food made me feel better. I am wondering if I was dehydrated to start and that was the cause. I had eaten so that shouldn't have been the problem. I guess what I am most interested in is about the feeling of my lungs burning (like when I am sprinting) but my heart rate not spiking like it normally would when feeling that way. Also it took a long time for my heart rate to drop even while walking.
Any insight or thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and  Happy July 4th (a day early)!
Kathleen

2009-07-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2260484

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Trying to figure out what happened to me during my run today

Us flatlanders might blame altitude, but you should be used to it  

How was the humidity?  What did you do yesterday?  Is it possible you're getting a lung infection or something (unlikely, but we won't know without asking)? 

Fatigue and dehydration are leading candidates, as well as nutrition.  Maybe you just ate something, but if you skipped dinner last night (or dinner was a pretzel and beer), your body hasn't started to really digetst what you just ate. 

Pay attention to your workouts over the next week, and if it happens again, get to a doctor. 

2009-07-03 4:53 PM

User image

Master

My first thought was nutrition or dehydration. You said you ate, but how much then and how much throughout the day?

2009-07-03 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
this happens from time to time to me (not so much the legs burning, but just fee lawful, need to walk, etc).

more often than not its nutrition and not hydradtion for me, normally i run into this when i am missing too many carbs before workouts.
2009-07-03 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
It does happen once and a while.  Check your hydration the day before and your nutrition.  You can eat and drink right before and during, but your body hasn't fully absorbed that yet.  It's what you ate a while before and what you drank a while before that can do it.  Sometimes you can just push yourself too hard.  Listen to your body and rest. 
2009-07-03 8:21 PM

New user
Gautier, MS

I have to agree with everyone else... nutrition.  I had a similar issue a month or so ago.  I got up and ran early one morning, which is unusual for me because I typically workout in the evening.  I didn't know what to eat, or how much really, so I ate a granola bar and drank some water then headed out.  I planned to run 5 or so and about died by mile 3 so I had to make myself quit.  Nothing else was different, so I had to chalk it up to nutrition and hydration.  Haven't had an issue since. 

2009-07-03 8:41 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I don't see how nutrition could possibly be a factor after only 2.5 miles.

2009-07-03 9:23 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

it was extemely humid this morning...especially for Denver.  I didn't run but was out on my bike and I noticed everyone I came across that was running looked absolutely miserable! Here in Colorado we aren't accustomed to humidity but we have been getting more than our share the past couple months.  As the other poster mentioned, nutrition at 2 1/2 miles should not be an issue.  I wouldn't worry to much about it...I had a similar experience on a humid morning a couple weeks ago.  Next time you run you mihjt want to bring some water with you...even if it is only 6-miles.

2009-07-05 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Could it have been aliens?

aliens

Seriously, how are you doing now?  A sudden change in performance during a run associated with shortness of breath and accelerated heart rate could potentially be a serious problem.  Toxic exposure, viral pneumonia, supra ventricular tachycardia or any other host of things that happen to us when we push ourselves to the limit.
2009-07-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2260863

User image

Lafayette, CO
rayd - 2009-07-03 8:23 PM

it was extemely humid this morning...especially for Denver.  I didn't run but was out on my bike and I noticed everyone I came across that was running looked absolutely miserable! Here in Colorado we aren't accustomed to humidity but we have been getting more than our share the past couple months.  As the other poster mentioned, nutrition at 2 1/2 miles should not be an issue.  I wouldn't worry to much about it...I had a similar experience on a humid morning a couple weeks ago.  Next time you run you mihjt want to bring some water with you...even if it is only 6-miles.

Before I read Rayd's response I was thinking of the humidity as well.  Here in Colorado we just aren't used to it.  And it's over 93% this morning.  In humidity our body's normal cooling function (sweating and evaporation) of that sweat is diminished so we sweat more in an effort to make up for it which just leads to dehydration.  I'm heading out for a ride here in a little bit but purposefully held off a bit to see if this would burn off some.  Hope you're feeling better. 
2009-07-05 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and well wishes.
For the rest of the day on Friday (run day) I had a headache. I don't think if finally went away until about 2:00am.  I went for an hour bike ride yesterday. I felt ok for the most part but again got a headache afterwards. It was very humid again.  I just got back from an ows and so far I feel ok.  Maybe it was a case of dehydration and fighting some kind of bug. I guess the real test will be during my next run.
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend
Kathleen

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying to figure out what happened to me during my run today Rss Feed