General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I consume enough calories during long sessions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-05 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Subject: How do I consume enough calories during long sessions
So this is my first full year of training (did about half a year last year) and I'm missing the 4th discipline for my HIM this september: nutrition.I read - a lot - on here and elsewhere.However, my training is starting to get some long enough workouts that I am not adequately consuming calories during training.I did a 2.5 hour ride Saturday @ 21.5-ish and I ate: 2 gu and 20oz of EFS (2 scoops).I was DEAD towards the end, stomach growling, etc.What else can I eat mid-race/training? I need to start trying things, but what is out there other than gels and jellybeans?Do people bring a bar on a ride and eat that? Those work with my stomach.

2009-07-05 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2263234

Expert
Subject: RE: How do I consume enough calories during long sessions
Only 2.5 hours? I don't think it would be that eating isn't enough if you had 2 GU's. Either they upset your stomach or you wern't drinking enough.

Thats' probably enough food for that length of time. Maybe you were dehydrated?

For that length, I'll drink

1x bottle of water
1x bottle of powerade/gatorade type stuff
2x of either muesli bar or banana
2009-07-05 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2263242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
supa-powa - 2009-07-05 7:38 PMOnly 2.5 hours? I don't think it would be that eating isn't enough if you had 2 GU's. Either they upset your stomach or you wern't drinking enough.Thats' probably enough food for that length of time. Maybe you were dehydrated?For that length, I'll drink 1x bottle of water1x bottle of powerade/gatorade type stuff2x of either muesli bar or banana
Things I've read peg it at 300 calories/hr to consumeI wasn't at that point - 200 from gu and maybe another 200 from the EFS - 400 < 2.5*300
2009-07-05 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

My coach and I work on the nutrition think all the time, but I am finally starting to get it....

I do 300 calorie and hr.... depending on the length and week...

For IM training this weekend I did 300 Calories an Hr with Carbo-pro mixed with gatorade/water (300 bottle) easy...then I do a bar, Gu to mix it up, then I will also through in gummy bears... if its a really really long ride

I think for the most part it can be a trial and error thing... thats just my 2 cents... and its not worth a lot...

GJ

2009-07-05 8:13 PM

Master

2.5 hrs really is the short end of nutritional needs. A simple carbo load (read: normal pasta dinner) should do the trick once you have a little experience under your belt. 

If you're going longer, maltodextrin-based drinks will do the trick. Do a search and google it. 3 main products are out there:

- Bulk maltodextrin - Dirt cheap at $1/lb, but comes in huge 50lb bags
- Carbo Pro - More than 2x expensive, but 7-10lb tubs. I believe this is just pure maltodextrin, but I could be wrong.
- Hammer Perpetuem, etc. - 10x+ more expensive but easiest to use, with flavor. 

300ish calories if you put a cup of powder into a water bottle.  I run 3-4 cups in 3 bottles for 70-100 mile rides with no solids; it works great. 

2009-07-05 8:21 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I rely mostly on gels and water, and a little sports drink, but add a Cliff bar or dried fruit into the mix for rides 3hrs and over.  Otherwise, I get the grumbly/empty stomach feeling that you report.

2009-07-05 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
I've been ramping up my distances this summer and at first had a few rides like you describe:  famished at the end.  Would have paid anything for a slice of pizza!

Now that I've had a chance to practice nutrition a bit more I find that gels, water, and sports drink get me through.  The main thing is to make sure I eat enough - I tend to underestimate how much food/drink I'll actually need.  I think this is why it's good idea, as others suggest, to figure out about how many calories you need/hour and make sure you take it in at regular intervals.
2009-07-05 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I am partial to Fig Newton's myself. Good, Small bite size and easy to put into a baggie to carry along.
2009-07-05 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
I think everyone's body has different fueling needs.  Some can go 2 hours with nothing but water.  I am on the opposite end of the spectrum.  I just did 3 hours today, 56 miles.  I used 4 gels, 3 22 ounce water bottles and a 22 ounce bottle of gatorade.  Temp was 83F.  I still ran out of water and could have used more.  If I had used anything less my performance would have suffered.  I would not be able to finish with nothing but water. 

I sweat like crazy and being a larger triathlete, 205lbs, I burn some serious calories.
It only makes sense that I burn a lot more energy than someone 150lbs over the same distance as it takes more energy to move 55 extra pounds the same distance.  Again everyones needs are different.  Experiment with more or different fuel on the bike.  If you are training for a longer event you also have to consider the run after, if you only fuel for the bike you may suffer during the run.  Again everyone is different, experiment and see what works best for you.

Greg 
2009-07-05 9:00 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
I drink about 24 ozs of GE per hour and have one gel per hour, starting 30 minutes in. I don't drink any water and generally don't eat any solids except on century/century + ride where I'll eat a bar at the halfway point and skip a gel. I did a sweat rate test and my coach developed the plan based on the carbs I needed in an hour and it works well for me. I never get tired or hungry and don't feel I need to eat even after the training. It took a little trial and error to get it right. I like that I don't need to mess with food or salt pills, I get everything I need from the liquid and gel.
2009-07-05 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2263420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
GRB1 - 2009-07-05 8:57 PMI think everyone's body has different fueling needs.  Some can go 2 hours with nothing but water.  I am on the opposite end of the spectrum.  I just did 3 hours today, 56 miles.  I used 4 gels, 3 22 ounce water bottles and a 22 ounce bottle of gatorade.  Temp was 83F.  I still ran out of water and could have used more.  If I had used anything less my performance would have suffered.  I would not be able to finish with nothing but water. 

I sweat like crazy and being a larger triathlete, 205lbs, I burn some serious calories.
It only makes sense that I burn a lot more energy than someone 150lbs over the same distance as it takes more energy to move 55 extra pounds the same distance.  Again everyones needs are different.  Experiment with more or different fuel on the bike.  If you are training for a longer event you also have to consider the run after, if you only fuel for the bike you may suffer during the run.  Again everyone is different, experiment and see what works best for you.

Greg 
This is where I am, and maybe after a while my needs will change, but right now even if I eat well all the time (which I do), eat a good breakfast, etc. On a longer ride I am HUNGRY - I don't think my stomach likes working on just gels. And definitely not on just 200 calories/hr.

2009-07-05 10:11 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
I love fig newtons (50 calories apiece though), but too many cause, um, GI issues. If you are good with the bicyclists staple food, bananas, they are cheap, and easy to tape to your top tube. They don't necessarily do too well in your sweaty back pocket - they tend to get really warm and brown quickly - you can counteract this by freezing them for about an hour before you take off on a ride. Bananas are about 100-120 calories, and have great potassium. Triscuits have a good deal of sodium in them (electrolytes), and are about 10 calories per cracker.

Anything less than a couple of hours, just hydrate and liquid nutrition for me. I *may* have a couple of Gu Gels, and a 200 calorie (4 scoops) Gu Brew bottle, and have up to 2 more water bottles of water in addition. I may throw one of the solid foods (100 calories max) that I listed above, if I want a different texture, but not normally until after 2.5-3 hours.

Just make sure whatever method you choose is not upsetting your stomach. It could have been dehydration, or that you don't tolerate the products you tried.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I consume enough calories during long sessions Rss Feed