General Discussion Triathlon Talk » temporarily in Little Rock Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-07 8:30 AM

User image

Long Island
Subject: temporarily in Little Rock
Hello,
I'll be in Little Rock from Aug 8th until probably the first week of September (give or take a few days) for a school.  Just wondering if anyone from BT gets together during the week or on weekends for some swim, bike, or run action?  Or if anyone has any good routes for cycling or running I'd appreciate any info!  I'm training for a HIM, so I'm looking for something with decent mileage.  Thanks so much for any help you can give! 

2009-07-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2266852

User image

Master
Subject: RE: temporarily in Little Rock

There are a ton of place to ride and run here.  The most popular by far is the river trail.  You can start on the Little Rock side by the Clinton Library or on the N. Little Rock side of the river at the Big Dam Bridge.  If you google Big Dam Bridge, it will show you the route maps for the event, that will give you directions to some longer options. 

Also, you can stop by any bike shop and they will be able to tell you about group rides going on.  There is at least one a day of some sort.

Edited by crews 2009-07-07 9:06 AM
2009-07-07 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
There are informal groups that train together in the area. As above poster suggested contact LBS for regular rides Chain Wheel, Arkansas Cycling Center, Competive Cyclist, Riders Ready just to name a few. If you check the Arkansas Democrat Gazette(local newspaper) on Mondays of each week on the front page of the ActiveStyle section, left column, there are weekly rides and runs posted there also. You might want to check the online version before you get down here becuase they do not print every ride every week, it also gives contact info for the groups training. The website for the local bike club is http://www.arkansasbicycleclub.orgthey have weekly rides. Local running club is Little Rock Road Runners, website is www.littlerockroadrunners.com. I am from Cabot, AR which is 20 miles north of LR, and you can check our local club forum http://cabotcocruisers.16.forumer.com/index.We normally ride every Tuesday at 9:00 and Sunday at 1:30 pm and there is somone running almost every day with long runs on Sat and Sun. There is going to be a local Century Ride late Sept so I know that there will be groups training, you will just have to find them.

The weekend of Aug 15th-16th there will be an OLY and Sprint Tri held approx 40 south of LR at Lake Degray. These are great races with a great course. The website is http://www.dltmultisport.com/DLT/Index.htm

If you have anyother question hit me back here or send pm.
2009-07-07 11:28 PM
in reply to: #2267839

User image

Long Island

Thanks for all the info!!!

About how many people usually do the DeGray Oly? 

2009-07-08 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2269165

User image

Veteran
Last year they had 89 for the oly and 121 for a half on the same day. This year they are not having the half.
2009-07-08 11:46 PM
in reply to: #2271927

User image

Long Island
signed up for the degray oly...thanks for the info

one more question, anyone get together for open water swims or know a good place in the area?

2009-07-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2272006

User image

Veteran
There is a group doing a OWS every Sat but they are training for IMLP, they train at Lake Bearver Fork in Conway. It is the nicest close lake to train in. During the time that you are here I would think they will be recouping from the race. The most comvient lake is the ski lake at Burns Park in North Little Rock. I swim every almost weekend at Greers Ferry lake. There is a masters swim class at one of pools in Little Rock if you were interested.

Edited by dixrp 2009-07-09 7:55 AM
2009-07-09 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2272277

User image

Master

dixrp - 2009-07-09 7:54 AM There is a group doing a OWS every Sat but they are training for IMLP, they train at Lake Bearver Fork in Conway. It is the nicest close lake to train in. During the time that you are here I would think they will be recouping from the race. The most comvient lake is the ski lake at Burns Park in North Little Rock. I swim every almost weekend at Greers Ferry lake. There is a masters swim class at one of pools in Little Rock if you were interested.

Do you know what pace the group at Beaver Fork swims at?  Or what time they start?

2009-07-09 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
As I stated they are racing IMLP, which is in two weeks. They have/are starting their taper and I am not sure if they are swimming open water anymore. I will try to find out if they are going to do anymore OWS before Lake Placid and post here.

Edited by dixrp 2009-07-09 11:10 AM
2009-08-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2272277

User image

Veteran
dixrp - 2009-07-09 7:54 AM There is a group doing a OWS every Sat but they are training for IMLP, they train at Lake Bearver Fork in Conway. It is the nicest close lake to train in. During the time that you are here I would think they will be recouping from the race. The most comvient lake is the ski lake at Burns Park in North Little Rock. I swim every almost weekend at Greers Ferry lake. There is a masters swim class at one of pools in Little Rock if you were interested.

Do you live in Little Rock and drive up to Greers Ferry Lake?  If so, I would be interested in carpooling if you wouldn't mind.  I just moved here a few weeks ago and don't really know anyone yet.  I was also interested in the masters swim class.  I need to get some water time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » temporarily in Little Rock Rss Feed