General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calculating calories burned swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-07-09 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2272007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: calculating calories burned swimming

newbz - 2009-07-08 11:47 PM HR is also not a terrible great way to calculate cal burned....... I can go ride at 200 watts and have my HR be at maybe 140, while another rider would be shooting sky high, and a TDF level person would be at like 90. guess what, in an hour at that pace we all burned the same amount. most calculators/HRM dont look at that, or they have very very skewed systems to figure it out.

HR can be a excellent way of calculating calories burned, if the device uses good data.  For instance my polar takes as an input vo2 and hr (it says max but really you can input any vo2 and its corrisponding hr)  From that and the device knows the proportionality of vo2 and hr it figures o2 consumed and therfore calories burned (yes a little off since it must make assumptions of fat/carb ratio burned).  And if your smart you can subtract your resting vo2 from the number you input and the device outputs excersize calories.

All things are estimates but I feel this method has given me the closest guess to reality.

2009-07-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2272007

User image

Champion
the colony texas
newbz - 2009-07-08 11:47 PM HR is also not a terrible great way to calculate cal burned....... I can go ride at 200 watts and have my HR be at maybe 140, while another rider would be shooting sky high, and a TDF level person would be at like 90. guess what, in an hour at that pace we all burned the same amount. most calculators/HRM dont look at that, or they have very very skewed systems to figure it out.

thats the nice thing about having a power meter on the bike, you can see exactly how many kj and watts.  However,, my garmin is pretty close as far as the bike... I do have my correct ht/wt./zones in there instead of the generic ones..

I"ve put the 305 in pocket while wearing the HR for bike rides and compared it to the Watts/kj  a few times just for kicks.

I think the body bug is very good,  A friend that has had her RMR done, won one from her gym and it was pretty much the same as her resting metabolic rate...   She training for a marathon and wears it 24/7   then again she is a data freak.

I don't know if anything is 100% accurrate for everyone,, but it comes to a point where if you are paying close attention to all of this calories in/out.  you are a step ahead of many people

I had a good point but forgot it
2009-07-09 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2272032

User image

Veteran
newbz - 2009-07-08 10:32 PM not needing details here, but how big of a person are you? 375 for an hour of that seems low unless you are tiny. i am not a huge person, 150 or so, but i know i would have to be almost sitting still to only burn 375 on the bike for an hour.

I am not tiny for a woman...I am 5' 6" and I weigh 137 lbs.  On a day where I'm sitting on my butt at work and not doing any type of exercise I burn between 1300 and 1500 calories. And as I was saying, this can be validated by trending my calorie intake and weight changes. So, the BodyBugg is pretty darn accurate and known to be much more accurate than HRM.  When I run 3 miles (which is my limit at the moment) my HR averages about 156 (I'm 47). The calorie function on my HR watch way overestimates. I've been trying to lose weight for months...have managed only to maintain my current weight. If I was burning much more than what I'm saying, I'd have no trouble losing weight as I am very meticulous about weighing/tracking my food.  Last June I lost 5 lbs., which is almost a miracle for me, by going on a high intensity metabolic weight lifting program and dropping my calories to 1300 (Warp Speed Fat Loss, if you're familiar).
2009-07-09 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2272134

User image

Champion
idahodan - 2009-07-09 4:54 AM

newbz - 2009-07-08 5:53 PM
idahodan - 2009-07-08 7:18 PM

kimmax - 2009-07-08 1:51 PM

I'm always skeptical of those online calculators or what my Garmin says. I've gone for bike rides where it says I burn 700 in an hour!!?? I work off the assumption I burn 100cal/10 minutes while running and 75cal/10min while cycling and swimming. That would put me at burning 450/hr which is sort of inline with what others said above. It's completely unscientific but I figure I'd rather be lower than higher.

700 per hour on the bike does not seem too absurd really.

To try to "generalize" is impossible I think. People are different. Your metabolism, effort level, and most importantly your weight is going to determine how much you burn.

I find this link interesting: http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

to an extent that is not correct. cycling cal burned is a pretty exact science. watts put out over a period of time will give you exactly what was burned. from watts you get kj, from there you have your cal burned. it takes 4 kj to burn 1 cal, but aerobic training of that kind is only approx 25% efficiant, so each kj = approx 1 cal. now, if the OP or the one asking is a bigger person, that kind of power output is possible. however, for a smaller person that would be COOKING fast. as an example, IIRC, 220 watts per hour comes out to 650 cal per hour (migiht have the numbers off a bit). but for most people holding that is moving pretty fast. at my normal zn2 levels i am at 500-550 an hour (this puts me over 20mph).

This validates what I am saying.

At 200 pounds, to ride at 19 MPH for 1 hour I MUST generate more watts than the 150 pound person, thus burning more calories. It takes more power to move the added mass.

At the same pace the 150 pounder and 200 pounder absolutely will not burn the same calories, because our power output has to be different.

I am not claiming to be an expert but this just makes sense. Bigger "vehicles" require more fuel and more power to do the same amount of work.

What i am trying to say here is that speed is totally irrelivent for this, (i simply put mine in to show that the levels i am talking about are not slow for those not familure with you).

200 watts for an hour, or 150 for an hour, REGARDLESS of the size of the person, or how fast they are going, or what their cadence is, comes out to the same power output, same Kj number, and same cal burned.

And as far as body size goes, a bigger person can put out WAY more power for the same effort level than a smaller person.

this is also why running is pretty close to 100 cal per mile for everyone, the slower person is running longer, but not putting out the same "power", while the faster runner is putting out way more, but running for much less time.

calories are not some magical thing that no one knows about, its pretty simple math to figure out a lot of this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calculating calories burned swimming Rss Feed  

of 2