General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Side stitches, gatorade, and electrolytes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-01 11:01 AM

Veteran
Subject: Side stitches, gatorade, and electrolytes
I've been plagued with side stitches when I exercise for as long as I can remember. I don't always get them, but sometimes the pain is excruciating. Sometimes, they are all that stands between me and a "personal best."

Here's what I know...

Alot of times I don't get them. I can swim 3000 yards, or bike for 40 miles no problem. Then sometimes, I even feel them coming on when I'm just walking around the house.

They are always on the right side, just below my rib cage.

When I swim I get them less (almost never) if I alternate breath than if I breath on one side. They are more likely if I breath on the left. I get them more in backstroke than in any other stroke.

I thought drinking gatorade before I swam helped, but yesterday I put 50/50 gatorade/water in my bottle and went for a ride. I was fighting a side stitch and an upset stomach the whole ride.

If I stop and do forced, controled breathing, I can often end a side stitch. I don't like to do this because it could adversely affect my finish in a swim, a time trial or a trialthon. Also, the stitch may or may not come back.

Questions:

Is there anything that I can do that would consistantly prevent them?
Is there a better source of electrolytes than gatorade?
Should I see a doctor?

2005-05-01 3:17 PM
in reply to: #150745

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: RE: Side stitches, gatorade, and electrolytes
You are doing the right thing to stop them with your controlled forced breathing. People are "footed". Maening, they begin and end a respiratory cycle on the same foot while running. I tend to get them if I breathe too swallow during my runs and rides if i breathe too much on my "off-foot". The diaphragm being a muscle is overworked and spasms. It can also be realted to trapped gas/air below the diaphragm. My suggestions to you are: make sure you give any food you've eaten plenty of time to clear the stomach, drink plenty of fluids, increase exrecise intensity gradually, and focus on your breathing. By all means if you have any other symptoms and feel the need, see an MD but if it is a simple side stitch it is a very common problem.

Gatorade is one of the most balanced electolyte vs sugar content replacement drink out there. Gatorade spends tons of time and money on researching this very fact. Good luck with your side stitch..hopefully they will decrease in occurance. If not it's a great reminder that you are a live!
2005-05-01 10:52 PM

Elite Veteran
Paraphrased from The Competitive Runner's Handbook:

Usually results from a spasm in the diaphragm--most often caused by faulty breathing or sudden, hard running that jars the organs and tugs on ligaments...

Other causes: Stress, weak and tense abs, running too soon after eating resulting in gas, food intolerance, running hard down hills, etc. Correct the aforementioned causes.

Treatment techniques: "Belly breathing," not shallow breathing. When a stitch hits, breathe deeply forcing the bell to rise with each inhalation. Or try breathing in through your nose and then emptying the lungs by pursing your lips and blowing hard.

Change breathing patterns. Try breathing out as the left foot hits. Or try doubling your rate of breathing.

Slow the pace. If this doesn't work, stop running, bend over and raise your knee on the stitch side while pressing your fingers deep into the painful area and tightening your abs.

Think about something else, or pick up the pace and run harder until the stitch goes away.

Hope one of these techniques helps. If you know anything about leg cramps during the swim, please don't be shy! Good luck.
2005-05-01 11:18 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I get these all of the time also and I take deep breaths and force the air out from the belly while running and it seems to help. I usually slow my pace to while trying to get rid of them and that seems to help.

Mike
2005-05-02 9:00 AM

Veteran
NYC
I did a google search on this recently, and there were some interesting sites about this. Apparently, it has more to do with the ligaments that attach to hold up your liver. Do a search and read some of it. I get these almost every run, no matter how fast or slow I go (so I know it has less to do with my breathing than with some physical anomaly). I squeeze that side as I'm running, push my fist up into my diaphram as I'm running, & generally try to massage out the stitch. It works 90% of the time.

Good luck - I know what a pain these are.
2005-05-02 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
WV
Research is acutally unclear as to what causes side stitches. Breathing rate needs to be considered since they do not know what is the exact cause. Check out this journal article relating to side stitches.

British journal of sports medicine (London), Aug 2003: 37 (4). p. 287-288

2005-05-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #151296

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I've been able to control side stiches better since I read the information on this site:
http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/readings/sidest.html

I've only got side stiches while running. Anyway I found that breathing out when my left foot strikes the ground worked the best for me.

Jen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Side stitches, gatorade, and electrolytes Rss Feed