General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Wisconsin! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-09 11:28 AM

User image

New user

Appleton, WI
Subject: Hello from Wisconsin!

Hello everyone.  My name is Eric, 31, living in Appleton, WI.  I decided in early May that I would attempt my first triathlon, so I signed up for the Door County Sprint Tri.  I have been training since the first week of May and it seems to be going okay.  It is tough to balance training with work, wife and two kids, but I have found very early mornings to be my friend.  I am a hefty fellow, currently 239 pounds, but that is 23 pounds lighter than when I began training.  Still have a ways to go, but I am feeling very good, healthy and confident in my abilities.

I sat on my butt for quite some time before my motivation clicked inside of me and I decided to get off the couch and do something productive. In early 2008 I decided I to start doing a couple 5K’s, I ran very slow but it got my competitive juices flowing again.  By September I completed a half-marathon, I was slow (2:19), but I finished it. After that, I said to myself I would complete another half-marathon and cut my time with a “proper” training plan.  In May, I ran the Green Bay Half-Marathon and finished in my goal of under 2 hours (1:59:58).  This result made me feel that I could do anything if I put in the time and had the right mindset.  So I decided a triathlon might be fun.

Training is going well so far.  I don’t have top notch equipment, but I think it will be okay for my first triathlon.  I have a nice pair of running shoes, so I don’t worry about my feet.  I have a hybrid bike (with the mountain bike handle bars, but road tires); I can ride comfortably at a decent pace.  I have a wetsuit that is too big for me (given to me from my brother-in-law, who is now in a much smaller size), but I have been training in my nice comfortable baggy suit.  If it turns out I enjoy the triathlon experience I will have to upgrade my equipment, but for now I think I am set. 

I look forward to learning from all of you and I appreciate any pointers you may have.

2009-07-09 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2273173

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Hello from Wisconsin!

Hello, Eric, and welcome to BT!

Stop on over to the Wisconsin forum and visit.  There's a few doing the Door County Tri.  One super-fast dude is pseudoyams, and there are a number of BT'ers, too, a few of them that are in the group that I'm with called the Tri-Donkai, Donks, Donkeys, etc.

Have a great race and don't be a stranger in the WI forum.

2009-07-09 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2273173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Hello from Wisconsin!
Welcome!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Wisconsin! Rss Feed