General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-09 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NH
Subject: Pinched Nerve

Hi Everyone,  I actually have a friend that is just getting started running again (I will soon have her converted into a trigeek), anyway, last weekend she woke up with a sharp pain in her lower back.  I had her write to me what it felt like.  I have no history or experience with what she's pretty sure is a pinched nerve.  I figured you guys might be able to help.  Here it is in her own words, any help is really appreciated!  "The pain is in the back of my hip, right above my , just to the left of my spine. It's a very localized stabbing pain when I lift my left leg (& my right leg if I lift my knee high enough
that it's parallel to my hip) & becomes a shooting pain if I try to run, and once I've stopped running it stays that severe as I walk for a while. The pain is internal, under my muscles (I can't press on the source of it with my fingers if I try), and has now gotten to the point where it's a constant sharp pinch if I'm sitting & no matter how much I twist around I can't seem to get to the point where I feel like I'm stretching it out."  She also noted that since she's been running again, she's been having calf soreness while wearing high heels and thinks she may be arching her back and overcompensating. 

2009-07-10 10:21 PM
in reply to: #2274738

New user

Subject: RE: Pinched Nerve
Chris,

Obviously third party diagnosis of an absent patient is folly.  With that said, pinched nerves are not associated with localized pain.  Pinched nerves from the lower back are typically associated with pain/numbness/tingling/weakness into the legs/feet/toes.

Localized pain might be consistent with sacroiliac dysfunction, facet syndrome, or other types of mechanical dysfunction in the spine. It could also be a muscular or tendon issue.  At any rate you should find a good sports chiro locally and get that evaluated by a professional.

Eric
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pinched Nerve Rss Feed