General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Asthma & Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-10 7:34 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: Asthma & Triathlon
Hi All,

I'm a 36 year old asthmatic.  Completed my first sprint in May with another in August and a Half IM in October.  Been reading a lot lately on health issues and risks in the sport and looking for answers. 
I also spent the first 5 months of this year on meds for blood pressure and cholesterol, though the doc approved taking me off them as my cholesterol is down to 172 and BP down to 116/79 since I started in this sport (yet another reason to love Tri's!)  I've also managed to drop from 256lbs to 219 and still falling which should also help the breathing.

My concerns are that my asthma, while better since starting the sport is still not great.  I went from a heavy Albuterol user to most days only one puff when I wake up and usually one puff during a hard training session.
I also take Symbicourt - one puff in the morning and one before bed.  I took Singulair for a long time but stopped a few months ago when our company insurance changed and it went from $15 to $90 per refill :-(

I've heard the Albuterol and the Symbicourt can cause some HR issues which is what's got me a little concerned, coupled with my previous BP issues.  I'm also formerly a heavy smoker for about 18 years in spite of having asthma (quit for good in March) so not sure if that could create problems.  I love this sport but my biggest fear is being in the water and my meds causing something like what I read they think those folks may have died from in other races. 
Have been considering having a full workup at the cardiologist to be safe, though my EKG during spring physical came back 100% fine.

Am I being overly worried?  Is it worth getting a workup?  Are there better meds for doing these types of sports?

Edited by TriMikeP1973 2009-07-10 7:37 AM

2009-07-10 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2275442

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Asthma & Triathlon
i use singulair, advair, and an alburterol rescue inhaler.  asthma ALWAYS makes training and racing tough.  the swim deaths are usually freak incidents - all the factors lined up that these folks have heart failures in the water.  you are going to be in MORE trouble if you don't take your meds than if you do.  my concern is usually "can i even finish the run?"

and congrats on the significant health improvements!!!!
2009-07-10 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I'm on Singulair and Advair, too.  My asthma is pretty well-controlled with these 2 meds, since I cannot even remember the last time I needed to use my rescue inhaler.   That being said, my asthma generally does not bother me during exercise.  My symptoms flare-up whenever I come down with any type of upper respiratory ailment that produces mucous and phlegm...that is when I begin to have serious problems.   So as long as I can stay healthy and not get sick, I'm good. 
2009-07-10 8:58 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I'm on Advair for my asthma and use albuterol as a rescue inhaler.  Albuterol can cause your heart rate to get really high.  There are other rescue inhalers that you can use if that happens to you.  For example, my sister uses Xopenex instead because the albuterol made her heart beat way too fast.

It is much better to take the medication as you need it and keep the asthma in control.
2009-07-13 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
What BP meds on you on? I have very, very mild asthma but when I started taking medication for my BP I developed a dry hacking cough that prevented me from exercise persisted until I could convince my new doctor that it was problem. He switched me to Amlodopine and I did a course of Advair and haven't had a problem since. 

It might be worth talking to your doctor about. 
2011-06-30 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2275508

User image

New user

Charlotte

I know the feeling of gasping for air, the sad thing is that I wake up with asthma and I know it’s going to be one of those days. I am on Symbacort twice a day plus my rescue inhaler. I have also been put on prednisone several times during the last 6 months. I have the hardest time swimming and running, cycling is the best of the 3 things I do. I want to do Kona but I know that I need to get my asthmas under control. If anyone has any advice I am open to it, anything that helps I will try it.

2011-06-30 9:02 PM

User image

New user

Charlotte
I would just make sure that your HR does not go so high that you feel dizzy or ill in a ny way. I am also asthmatic and mine goes very high but I can control it by just slowing my pace some. The medicine does not bother my HR all that much.
2011-06-30 9:57 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
I LOVE my Xopenex!!!  Unfortunately, there's no generic, so depending on your insurance you will PAY $$$ for it
2011-07-07 4:03 AM

Hi there,

it is most important that you learn to breath properly. Learn to belly-breath and to control your breathing. Try to breath predominantly through your nose. That will also help to keep your heart-rate down. Concentrate on exhaling. That is especially important for the swim. Especially in colder water it will help you to exhale strongly and breath calmly. Many people tend to overbreath in a cold water swim start if they are not used to the conditions. For asthmatics that can trigger a bad attack.

I also recommend to strictly take your "preventer" as recommended by your doctor. On the race day take your "reliever" 1 hour before the start and than again a few minutes before the start. Depending on the severity of your asthma have a reliever on you at all times or in your transition bags. Ask your doctor how long the effect of your particular medication last. Remember: prevention is better than trying to curb a full-blown attack.

As for the heart rate, don't worry too much about it. Side effects tend to get a bit less with prolonged use (only as prescribed of course!).  Try to breath calmly at all times and try to control your (pre-)race nerves. 

Happy racing!

2011-09-11 1:39 PM

Hi,

I'm a 37 year old asthmatic who tried to do his first triathlon this morning.. fighting a sinus infection, wore a wetsuit that was too tight in warm water, and nearly asphyxiated at the first buoy. I did  brick run of bike-swim full length of the race 10 days ago and was quite proud of the 1:09:00 in which i finished it. i barely trained for the swim, which is heavily to blame. I inhaled a drop of water and my lungs just locked up. i couldnt breath at all and my HR shot up to 190 (my normal training HR is in the 150s). I could barely hang onto the lifeguard's kayak. Needless to say, I never even got onto my bike afterwards.

How do people deal with this? I was having an amazing year in all the 5ks and mud runs i had been doing. my numbers had be dropping like flies. my ego was on overload(probably a bad thing). i got reality fast today. I think a more experienced person might have declined to perform within 3 days of being diagnosed with a sinus infection but my pride wouldnt let me.

thoughts?

2011-09-11 3:00 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

First of all, take serious control of your asthma.  Use your maintenance inhalers as directed and rescue as needed.  I pre treat prior to swimming with my rescue, particularly if I am in a flare prone season (year round allergies worse in spring and fall).

Second, equally as important .....more so in many ways.  SWIM.  You cannot expect your body to be fine on race day swimming 750 meters when you don't normally swim.  The whole learning to breathe in water thing is harder (in my opinion) for those of us with asthma ---UNLESS one already has a good swim background.

My asthma is MOST bothered when I swim during flare season.  I think it's a combination of race nerves, the challenges of breathing in water and that we are LAND mammals by nature of the species.  I have trained myself to cough with my face in the water and not aspirate half the river.  Biking is sometimes a challenge when I flare, a coughing spasm is brutal when you can't get to the rescue inhaler.  I tape mine to my bars for fastest access in races.  If I am riding with friends, I will announce which pocket my rescue is in cause there have been times I couldn't get it  due to the coughing and needed a friend to retrieve it for me.

2011-09-15 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
I race with my inhaler on my race belt (Fuel Belt makes an asthma race belt) for easy access. I took Advair for a while and it made me gain weight (something about the steroids, according to the doc) so I do singulair and xopenex. I've heard complaints about albuterol and I think xopenex was made to alleviate those heart rate problems. I agree that it's tough to race with breathing problems, especially when you know your legs have it in them to go faster but you just can't get enough air to be able to speed up. For me (and I don't know if it's scientifically proven or anything) training to raise my LT helps raise the threshold at which my wheezing kicks in. It never stops, I can just be faster while I'm wheezing. That means uncomfortable training runs and rides, and it takes a miracle to get me out doing speedwork.
2011-09-15 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Trimike,

(disclaimer...I am a Pulmonary MD)

First and foremost, you need to have excellent asthma control. What is considered good control...you can take something called the ACT test (asthma control test); an objective questionaire (less then 8 ques) that will tell you...its on the web. Taking your rescue puffer once a day when u wake up i would question if you are truly well controlled.

Second, if you have been cleared by your MD to exercise strenously, then dont worry about the hr with albuterol or symbicort. It may make training by zones harder, and may need to go by RPE at times or by power on the bike.

There has been talk of xopenex on this post vs albuterol. There has been debate in the literature and clinical experience about less tachycardia (not as high of a hr jump) with xopenex.  This is not a fact but there may be individuals who have less of an increase in hr with xopenex.. There may be genetic differences in the receptor binding site in people to account for this, but it is not a proven medical fact. 

Asthma is something to definitly respect, and prepare/plan for, but it should not hold you back from your goals as a triathlete.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Asthma & Triathlon Rss Feed