General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR & Perfromance - need help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-01 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: HR & Perfromance - need help

All experienced BT triathletes, I need some help, analysis and advice.

My goal race is an Oly in three weeks.  This will be my second tri ever. My first was about 3 weeks ago - a sprint.  I have been following Benrhardt's Oly training plan.  I just finished the Build 2 phase.  I start two weeks of Peak and then one week of Taper and then race.  Here is the problem.  My workouts yesterday and today were terrible.  My legs felt like lead and didn't have any energy.  Saturday was running interval training into HR zones 4 - 5a.  I barely got my HR into z4.  It seemed that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my HR up.  Same thing happened today with my bike ride.  It was supposed to be a ride in all zones.  I never got out of z2.  Again, as hard as I tried, I couldn't put out anymore power.  I also lost 2 pounds during the past week. Went from 146 to 144. 

Anyone else experience something similar?  Is this overtraining or poor nutrition or a combination of both?  Does this normally happen in the Build phase?

TJ

2005-05-01 10:48 PM
in reply to: #151005

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shiloh Illinois
Subject: RE: HR & Perfromance - need help
From the looks of you logs it doesnt look like you have been taking many rest days. Your logs look good as far as heart rate, its staying low and some good performance. I would take a day off once a week and be sure to be drinking plenty of water and be sure to eat a good variety/ammount of food, TRI training takes some fuel.
2005-05-02 9:07 AM
in reply to: #151013

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Silent,

The plan doesn't have any rest days.  But, Mondays are strength training, no aerobic workouts.  For about the past month, I have skipped the strength training and taken Mondays off.  Except, for last week.  I missed a brick on Sunday because of the weather and decided to "make up" the workout on Monday.  I'm finding out that in tri training, if you miss a workout it's difficult to "make it up".

Thanks for the adivce,

TJ

2005-05-02 9:26 AM
in reply to: #151005

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Rest days are ESSENTIAL.  Even if your muscles feel good and you aren't particularly tired it's important to let your body rest...your CNS needs time to recover as well.  Remember, you don't get stronger when your train, you get stronger when you rest.  Training tears your body down and resting allows it to rebuild and become stronger.
2005-05-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: #151116

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

I would suppose the "plan" is a generic plan and wouldn't work PERFECTLY for everyone.  Listen to your body. Adjust the plan to fit your needs.  As with all plans, the essential thing is to HIT THE KEY WORKOUTS.  All others are fillers.  Key workouts, ie the Long Bike,  Long Run,  Long Swim. 

You've been wise to skip the Weight training, that should be the first to go in terms of sports specificity. 

Reevaluate the plan, determine your limiters and enhance your RECOVERY process. You can speed up your recovery through better or more timely food consumption,  more sleep etc...

GOOD LUCK!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR & Perfromance - need help Rss Feed