General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Explainging Tri's to non-tri people :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-11 5:47 PM

User image

Subject: Explainging Tri's to non-tri people :)
First I have to say that I'm in the non-tri category, my first tri  (sprint) is in sept.

It's fun to explain to folks at work why I am doing this...especially when they ask me how far it is and I tell them 1/4 swim, 14 bike, and 3 run.  The usual response I get is, "oh, that's not too bad, I could do that." 

I too felt the same way until I did my first brick...wow!  Trying to run after I just got done going as fast as I could for 14 miles....I would love to have had someone tape that first half mile.

The shock of the first ows after training in a pool with nice straight lines to guide me from one end to another.

I can't wait till the first one is in the books and the training has become a regular part of who I am and who I want to be.

Its great to see the progress and to know that I still have 2 months still to work on everything.

The best part is seeing my kids as I practice with thier cow bells cheering me on! Thats one thing that requires no explanation to understand.

Dan

2009-07-11 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2278486

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Explainging Tri's to non-tri people :)
Next time someone says, "Oh, I could do that," you should invite them to join you. Send a hyperlink, hand them a pamphlet, whatever. It might be fun to see how fast the backpedal.

Sound like you're having fun. That's what it's all about. Enjoy your race.
2009-07-11 6:34 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Love your kis with cowbells   We always need more cowbell.

Good luck. 

I agree, get one of thoe guys who says "not so bad, I could do that"  to do a brick with you or some other really hard workout.  Bet they'll realize how hard it really is.

2009-07-11 8:03 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

I have the opposite problem.

Our neighbor is sure I did Ironman CdA last month. She knows I train for triathlons (sprints only so far) but she doesn't get that all tris are not the same. I've explained several times that I do much shorter triathlons than Ironman, but she doesn't get it. She saw a story on the Ironman on TV and is sure I was there. Oh well... I hope I finished.Cool  

2009-07-11 8:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-11 8:20 PM

Master
Oceanside, California
I actually want them to think that it is not to hard.

It is less intimidating, and they are more likely to be encouraged to get involved.

2009-07-11 8:22 PM

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
My wife's co-worker is having sort of the opposite experience.  He decided to do his first tri this year - a sprint. HE does not even OWN a bike.  He is athletic, mostly a runner (a marathon or two, lots of 5 and 10k's).  Someone he knows who is retired military, heavily into tri's, told him he should not need to train for the bike because "it's only 12 miles.  Anyone can bike 12 miles".  I was able to convince him that he NEEDS to do a couple of bricks.  Because while he might be able to ride for an hour or so, he needs to do that AFTER swimming a half mile, and THEN he needs to run the 5k.
2009-07-11 8:30 PM

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I try to bring it up as little as possible.  If someone asks me what I did last weekend, I tell them, and if they were to say 'oh, that's not hard', I'd probably just drop it.  From what I've seen, triathletes have a tendency to talk about their hobby way too much (and let's face it, for the vast majority of us, it is a hobby, albeit a lifestyle-changing one).
2009-07-11 8:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-11 8:42 PM

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Mainly I get the reverse.  Most think the swim alone is not something they could do.  The one person who said they could do the swim thought doing 15miles on a bike after swimming was nuts but sounded fun. 
2009-07-12 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2278650

Champion
Alabama

ChrisFL - 2009-07-11 8:40 PM This is interesting.  I wonder if it's a guy thing.  I would LOVE for my girlfriends to join me in my new love of triathlons but every single woman I have asked has said the exact same thing:  Oh I could never do that

2x

I've been doing triathlons for 10 years and I almost never hear anyone say "oh, I can do that".  Invariably it's "I could never do that!".  I tell them, "Sure you could."  It's usually the OWS that freaks people out.  It's suprising to me how many people can't swim!  I grew up swimming and playing in the water and I tend to assume most people can swim...but not so. 

I never swam competitively or anything like that but even before triathlons I've never had a problem jumping in the middle of the a lake, river or ocean and swimming.  I'm say many (if not most) people that can swim are intimidated by an OWS.  I guess it's how you grew up.  When we go out in our boat to the middle of the lake, my son, daughter and I will jump off the boat and swim around in the middle of the lake...but no way is my wife getting out of the boat in the middle of the lake!  She can swim and we even have a pool at home....but she wears a life vest whenever we're out in the boat on the lake.

~Mike

2009-07-12 9:21 AM

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
This is an article from Triathlon Mag a year or two back. I was a cyclist thinking about jumping into triathlons, and this is what really made me take the leap.
I know keep this article as a book mark in my training logs so I can see it every day. Still reading it once in a while too

--------------------
It is moments before dawn and you are blinded by the lights illuminating the Kailua Pier as generators hum and announcer Mike Reilly starts to inspire and motivate.

“Welcome to Kona, athletes. Please remember to put your special needs bag in the trucks. The transition area is now open, and you will find bumps and volunteers to help you get your bike ready.”

As you look around, you peer into the eyes of other athletes who seem to be on autopilot, showing hints of both nervousness and peace. As you are body-marked you watch calves branded with people’s body ages, ink that becomes a target for some, a dating tool for others. You know that the sun will come out soon, and even though it is 90 million miles away it will burn your race number and age into your skin, leaving a tattoo on your soul. This is the real medal from the Ironman.

The sky is now brighter and there are no clouds anywhere on the horizon. Your iPod is playing your favorite song, and you are reminded that everyone has to look deep inside to find something that drives them to do this sport.

Once you’re marked you enter the transition area to wait in line for a bump, and you catch a participant carefully taping a photograph of his three little kids to his handlebars. You smile, and a tear wells up behind your eyes. Emotions are so close to the surface, you can taste them.

You take a deep breath and try to clear your Karma before you start the Ironman, crossing your mental fingers and hoping that you have been living your life as you know you should. In Kona, you cannot hide from the choices you make.

You see an athlete on one side of the transition area hugging his girlfriend over the orange fencing, so reluctant to let her go as she kisses the athlete’s cheek and wipes a tear away. Looking left you see another athlete fighting with his wife about something he thought she left behind. Because you have raced this course before, you know that to finish the Ironman World Championship you will need a soul full of friends, food and a purpose. Without these things you day will be painful without measure.

As you enter the water and mull through the water-treading limbs of eager athletes, you consider how you’re going to get through your moments of doubt later in the day. You know that the weight of the wheels and bike frame pale in comparison to the weight of doubt and stress, which are the heaviest things you can carry through the headwinds and heat of the Ironman, or through life.

You hear the cannon blow and you are now, officially, past the point of no return. For now, your existence has been stripped to the basics: water, food, wind, heat, competition, survival, fear, passion, pain, joy.

The Ironman has started and you are now deep inside your dream., drafting behind and splashing up against the dreams of 2,000 other people. The world looks different not just because you are looking through your tightly fit goggles, but because you are now inside your dream looking out at your life.

You suddenly realize that the only way out of this dream consists of two very painful, challenging options: one way is to finish, and the other is to quit. You ponder for a stroke or two which would be more difficult, and then you rule out quitting for the first of many times today.

You are now swimming over a diver with a waterproof camera pointing up, and you realize that millions around the world want to be where you are now: in the warm Pacific Ocean in Kailua-Kona racing the Hawaiian Ironman, living inside your dream.

-Mitch Thrower
2009-07-12 9:34 AM

Veteran
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
I have to say that i did not realize there were such things as Sprint Triathlons until i started doing some research and spoke to a friend of mine that is very into Triathlons, also, i grew up on the beach and would have considered myself good in the water but as i soon found out swimming competetively and playing in the water are 2 very different things. Many people do not like to swim where they cannot touch the bottom. Swimming off a boat that is 20 feet away most people can probably do for an hour but, swim for an hour and it is a very different feeling. I have my first Sprint Tri in August.

2009-07-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2278651

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
When I tell people I do triathlons their reaction is voiced with self-doubt and defeat. I immediately reply, "That's why you should do it; to replace that feeling." This sport, unlike any other, changes lives. If someone were to react blase by my triing, the right move would be to make them put their money where their mouth. In this sport, your @ss either cashes the check or it bounces.

That article is spot on, even on a lesser scale of tri. I went deep sea fishing in Florida for 2 days, got back to Houston at midnight (sleep at 1), then woke up at 4 to go do a sprint. I was done before the race even started. I was about 50 meters away from the swim finish and thought about quitting but that feeling seemed far too painful. I finished the biking and then ran sockless. I felt blisters developing about 3/4 of a mile into the run and felt them pop about 1/4 of a mile further. My feet were hurting bad but not nearly as bad as quitting would have felt. I kept going and became numb to the pain with 3/4 of a mile to go in the race. I finished, took off my shoes to see blood just poor out. I was in a lot of pain and paid for it for the next month, but that pain would heal and the pain of quitting wouldn't have.
2009-07-12 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2279095

Master
Victoria, BC
I usually get the "oh I could never do that" reaction ... although now that I think of it, mostly from females. Hmmm ...

Seriously - when people find out I do triathlons they start treating me like some kind of superhero - a lot of "wow!"'s and similar pop into the conversation. Even though I do only sprints and Oly's ... and I am most certainly NOT any kind of special superhero type! I'm slow! Very slow! But people's perceptions of the sport are what they are ... so I always encourage them to come watch a race - that usually opens their eyes to the different ages, body shapes, and abilities that actually do enjoy this sport of ours.
2009-07-12 12:12 PM

Richmond VA
I get both from co-workers and I am encouraging any of them to come out and try it too.
I even tell them about doing relay teams so they can do a 3rd of a tri and see what all is out there. I am doing my 1st this fall (a sprint) and they all think I'm training for a IM ... lol. They know the true distance but it is a TRIATHLON and that's all they focus on. I do have one female co-worker that I have inspired to get off the couch and on her feet!

2009-07-12 1:46 PM

Regular
I haven't had a hard time explaining it to the people I do mention it to.  Most just say "I couldn't do the swim part" or "You're crazy".

I do think that when people hear "triathlon" they picture the Olympic (as in from the actual Olympics) or the IM triathlons and don't realize that there are smaller ones out there.  Which may be why people react funny when you mention doing one.  I guess it'd be like someone who struggles with science saying to someone "I'm going to become a brain surgeon".
2009-07-12 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2279279

Athens
ATLsbr - 2009-07-12 2:46 PM

I haven't had a hard time explaining it to the people I do mention it to.  Most just say "I couldn't do the swim part" or "You're crazy".

I do think that when people hear "triathlon" they picture the Olympic (as in from the actual Olympics) or the IM triathlons and don't realize that there are smaller ones out there.  Which may be why people react funny when you mention doing one.  I guess it'd be like someone who struggles with science saying to someone "I'm going to become a brain surgeon".

x2 I get this all the time. When I told my co-workers that I had done a tri and had a 10K the following weekend, most of them said I was insane. One said, 'like the Ironman?' and I had to explain, no, not IM, sprints...and then the still said I was crazy. Also, I think the fact that I'm not in 'athlete shape' yet leads to a lot of confused looks. Because, everyone who runs or does tris must but completely ripped, right?
2009-07-12 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2279279

Athens
ooops, double post...

Edited by porcelina23 2009-07-12 2:07 PM
2009-07-12 2:49 PM

Expert
Chenequa WI
I think I'm lucky that my wife and most of our friends and family are either fully in the triathlon lifestyle or some other endurance sport so they never ask why because it seems understood.  I don't really talk about it with other people so I guess I've never given them a chance to ask.

But, within the extended group of friends and family, occasionally we've talked about "why"?  There are a lot of answers like, "I need to prove something to myself", but some of the more interesting answers were:

• I don't understand the question.
  • I'd be an alcoholic if I didn't.
  • I did this one time 10 years ago and got sucked into the vortex.
  • I want to look good naked.
  • And, my personal fav - I got tired of ultra-marathons.  Ironman looked challenging.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Explainging Tri's to non-tri people :) Rss Feed