General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rebuilding distance question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-12 8:15 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: Rebuilding distance question
Recently had a major injury that left me in the hospital for two days and wasn't allowed to exercise for two weeks (shattered arm - doctor's orders).  I was released to exercise last Monday and have been trying to figure out where I should start my running from again.  So far I've done a longest run of 2.3mi before my heart rate spiked and my arm started swelling again.  Besides running until my arm swells and then stopping, does anyone have any advice?  I still have a short cast on, so it makes running a bit difficult, but it's nothing I cant handle.

2009-07-12 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2279858

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Rebuilding distance question
Are you able to ride on a trainer?  The bike seems like it may be a bit of a lower impact way to get the HR up instead of the pounding of running.
2009-07-13 5:48 AM

How about run/walk intervals? That should keep the heart rate under control and allow you to spend some more time on your feet allowing your body to adapt.
2009-07-13 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
I have an impressive collection of Ti in my wrists. Running hurt like hell for MANY weeks afterward. I put my aero bars on the bike, mounted the bike to a stationary trainer and went at it. No stress to the damaged wing at all. Next I started a water aerobics/ stretching/resistance training program. Open your palm and push/pull it through the water. Strength and flexibility in the damaged area has to come first. Running was the last thing I could do pain free-and that took me holding a tennis ball in my hands to absorb some of the vibrations. It's a long, slow process I'm afraid. Good luck with the mending.
2009-07-13 6:39 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
I do have my tri bike on the trainer, just wanting to run so I can catch some 10k's or something before the end of the year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rebuilding distance question Rss Feed