General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a shelf life for tubular tires? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-15 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Carrollton, TX
Subject: Is there a shelf life for tubular tires?
I bought a pair of Continental Competition tubular tires off ebay a couple weeks ago.  I took them in yesterday to get installed on my new wheels (figured I'd leave that to the lbs).  When I came in to pick them up, they asked me how old the tires where.  I told them I wasnt really sure.

Apparently while installing, the base tap ripped off of one of the tires.  No big deal, they just did a warrantly replacement.  But now I'm paranoid about riding the other tire.  Is there anything I should be watching out for?  At what point during installation would the base tape have a chance to get ripped off?  Maybe they just installed the tire wrong, and the glue was too dry to easily remove?

2009-07-15 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2286329

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Is there a shelf life for tubular tires?
Some pro teams "age" their tubulars for 5 - 10 years before even mounting them.  Don't ask me why, I just know they do it.

Age is not so much the issue as the exposure to elements and such are.  If the tire is around sunlight or chemicals it can easily start to degrade.  Just look over the tire and see if there is any sort of dry rotting/cracking on it.

But Conti Competitions are not THAT old of a tire ......... shouldn't be a problem usually.
2009-07-15 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2286329

User image

Regular
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Is there a shelf life for tubular tires?
Alright, I'll look over the tire and if it looks ok, I wont worry about it.

Any idea at what point of installing the tire the lbs guy could have pulled enough to rip the base tape off?  Also, I'm just assuming that he pulled on it during install, I guess he may have just noticed something wrong with it before he installed it, and when he checked the base tape, it came off?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there a shelf life for tubular tires? Rss Feed