General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chosing the right bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-15 9:20 AM

New user

Subject: chosing the right bike
Hi everyone i am new to the sport, just start training and i am trying to get a decent bike for a good price. i'm 6'2 and 280lbs. my bike is killing me i ride about 25 miles avery sunday but i fell that i'm riding a street  car in a nascar race. i have a confort bike{with i love} but is just a confort bike.
    i got into bikesdirect.com and there is a lot of choices but i have no idea about with bike to get,remember i am just a rookie!!! i am worry about buying something and damage it bacause of my weight.  if anyone can help me pick a bike i will forever be greatfull.

2009-07-15 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2286495

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
Subject: RE: chosing the right bike

There is nothing wrong with starting out on a comfort bike.  If that is the most comfortable stick with it for now.  After you get some miles under you you can upgrade.

If you are really ready for a new bike, the best bike is one that fits you well.  Use your LBS to help.  You might be able to take the current bike that hurts and get it fit at least a little better.  If it is completely the wrong size  there isn't much they can do.

Also if it is a road bike you are using different muscles than on the comfort bike.  Your body may be adjusting to the new position. If you ride the comfort bike throughout the week and just take the other out on Sunday, you are readjusting to the position every week.

2009-07-15 3:36 PM

User image

Regular
East San Francisco Bay Area
I Agree with the above.
Find a local bike shop and talk to them, tell them what you want to do, distances, how much you ride and what hurts on the long ones (tell them you price point as well).

Keep in mind that different bike stores carry different brands, so you wont find more then a few possible brands at any given store. So try different shops in your area, find a brand and a store that you feel comfortable with. You will need their help for tune-ups, sizing, adjustments, etc. Bring your cycling shorts and shoes with you shopping since they will let you take one out for a test drive.

No one brand, or one style works for everyone... good luck.
2009-07-15 4:16 PM

Interesting thread. I have spent the last 4 hours calling LBS' back in Missouri asking every question I could think of about buying a bike. I am in Germany and wanted to know what I needed to know before going to the LBS here and getting fitted for the bike and saddle.

Here is what everyone one of them told me to do...(They all said pretty much the same thing)

Get a low endish road bike, for training and even Tris since I am not out to win just to compete and say I did it and I can always get a tri bike if I decide to seriously compete.

This bike, well maintained, will last for ever. Also, if properly fitted will be very comfortable.

That even in IMs there are people riding their Sunday go to picnic bikes, they just aren't winning.

On the low end, spend around 700 to 1,000 dollars, and as time goes on, get all the toys, but really all you need at the moment is the bike.

Also, this bike will work well with a trainer, just use a training wheel (last years older tire) when  using it to save wear and tear.

*gasp gasp*

Not sure if this helps, and not sure if anyone is going to agree with me/them.

2009-07-18 8:49 PM

New user

Thank you guys for your advice, i ride about 3 times a week with my longer ride on sundays. the rest of the week i swim and run. i will take my bike with me to the lbs and see if they can help me with it. i will keep you posted of my progress and once again thanks a lot guys.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chosing the right bike Rss Feed