General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mystic Cycle Center Bike Fit? Or some other place local? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-16 8:22 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Mystic Cycle Center Bike Fit? Or some other place local?

My LBS is really Brumble Bikes. I like Amos, but I do not feel like his shop is the best place for a fit. The only places 'local' seem to be in Boston that really have a bunch of certifications for bike fits. So looking for some recommendations if Mystic is good or if I should check out something else. My fit is good, but I think it could be improved upon a bit.

Something 'full featured' would be ideal, like if I should add a shim under one shoe, so looking for something in depth.

2009-07-16 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2288946

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Subject: RE: Mystic Cycle Center Bike Fit? Or some other place local?
Does Mystic Cycle actually have somebody who does fittings?  I like the guys / owners there but I know of a number of people who they've set up on road bikes slightly bigger than what they ultimately should be on (me twice when I first starting riding, was naive about what I needed and how a bike should fit and when I picked up my first tri bike there).  Also, never actually considered them a big player when it comes to tri bikes and hard to believe they've got much experience with fitting for tri bikes.  I could be wrong though.     

Might want to give Dan at Cycling Concepts in Rocky Hill a try.  Saw him after my first race rehersal in LP when I was miserably uncomfortable after trying to tweak things myself.  He made lots of changes that made my ride a lot more comfortable, aero, and more efficient. 

I've heard really good things about the fitters at the shops north of here in Mass.  Can't remember names of the shops though.  Some are using some really cool technology. 
2009-07-16 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2290530

User image

Elite

Yeah I know of the shops in the Boston area, just trying to avoid Boston/NYC if possible. Looking really to just tweak. I am comfortable, but I think I could be just as much so and possibly produce more power.

2009-07-17 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut
I don't know him personally, but Amos is one of the fastest and most experienced racers in Connecticut. I've heard his name come up a lot from other cyclists, and always with admiration and respect for his wealth of knowledge.  I would opt for that real world knowledge any day over someone with just fancy equipment and a fitting certificate.  So be careful about going elsewhere and paying more for less.

If you want high technology in your fitting, my recommendation would be to go to Aidan at CCNS in Middletown.  He is a fast time trialist in his own right and has coached many clients to success at high levels of competition. 

He has some pretty high tech fitting equipment like spin scan, sEMG, cleat alignment, and custom orthotic equipment.  He even has a wind tunnel.

http://www.charlescoaching.net/

2009-07-17 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Broad Brook
I recently was fitted at Cycling Concepts in RockyHill by Dan. Just walking in I knew I picked the right shop for my fitting lots of tribikes, roadbikes and everything else you can think of.. Well worth the drive from Mystic I have never been more comfortable on my bike. btw Dan is a certified F.I.S.T bike fitter.
2009-07-17 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Amos is more than qualified for fitting. One of the best mechanics around and he understands angles, etc. He uses a power based fitting with the computrainer to optimze output while balancing comfort.

If you use Mystic, ask for and book time with Rick. He's got the knowledge and if you go when he's not being pulled in 1000 directions, he'll give you a great fit. He'll use the bikefitter system to start and then optimize on a trainer.

If you want, you could pay for the Serotta fit with Gary at Pedal Power in Middletown. Most thorough fit going and expect to take 3 hours. It can be used to optimize your current bike as well as design a custom if you're buying that. Sounds like you're wanting to tweak your current ride and this would be the best, but most expensive solution I've proposed.

2009-07-26 7:35 PM

User image

Regular
North Haven
I would say to go to Zanes Cycle in branford...
2009-07-27 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Pedal Power in Middletown seems to have a pretty decent set-up for bike fits..maybe give them a call and see if they can offer what you're looking for.  They are trying to branch out their tri-specific service, last I knew. 
2009-08-17 10:49 AM

i use to be a mechanic at mystic cycle centre and worked with both amos before he opend his shop as well as rick. i think they are both well qualified to fit you. although if ur looking for something else you can go to niantic bay bicycles, butch owns that shop i also worked with him at mystic he was a u.s olympic mechanic and probably the best around. Or you can go to providance bicycle they do a really good job at fitting thats where i went when i got my bmc and they got me spot on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mystic Cycle Center Bike Fit? Or some other place local? Rss Feed