General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitting Tri Training into Marathon Training Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-16 11:48 AM

Subject: Fitting Tri Training into Marathon Training Questions

Hello everyone.

It was recommended to me over at Runners World to come check in with this group. 

I am thinking heavily toward doing a local sprint tri next year and I would need to fit it in to my marathoning as well.  I will probably run a spring and fall marathon in 2010 just like I am doing this year.  Who knows I might make the switch and get hooked on the tri. 

The local sprint tri will be in July most likely.  Is there a recommended plan to follow that fits this mold or am I kinda gonna be in the dark on this?  Depending on how much training time it will take I figure I might need to start the tri training near the end of my first marathon cycle and then start the fall marathon cycle near the end of tri training.

Background on me:

Running:  Well last week I peaked 50 MPW running so I think I got the run part down.  With enough brick training I could probably keep up with a longer distance than a sprint tri.

Biking:  I have a Specialized mountain bike so unless its an off road sprint I will need to at least get new tires or buy a cheap used road bike.  I have not road more than about 7 continuous miles in the last couple years but I can easily go longer than that.  My longest ride ever was 15 miles.  EDIT:  Yeah I know riding a mountain for a road race even with road tires is probably not the best choice but it will be the cheaper choice for now.  If I decide to get in to tri's more seriously then I will save up for a better road bike.

Swimming:  Well I can swim and stay on top of the water.  But I have not done anything remotely like laps in over 20 years.  I do have a HS pool I can go to for lap work though.

Please steer this lost tri soul in the right direction.

If I posted in the wrong area I do apologize.

Edited by Venomized 2009-07-16 11:55 AM

2009-07-16 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2289517

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-16 12:04 PM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Fitting Tri Training into Marathon Training Questions
I am also a marathoner dipping a toe into triathlon. You'll be fine with your mountain bike in a sprint. Just don't get into the thinking that your running fitness is going to carry through - you are fit but there are adaptations similar to how you've built up running that you'll need to do with swimming and biking.  I know my first few long rides really sapped me - and they weren't even that long.

Take a peek at some of the sprint plans out there. Sub in the running you need. I am working from 3 days a week with a week of running (switching the tri running to my marathon plan's key workouts) and getting the rest of the sports in.  I am a new swimmer so it's pretty critical to me to be in the pool three days week. When my planned tris are done in September I'll ease off but still keep a base of swimming and biking until my marathon in October.  It is hard to manage both marathon training and tri training just because fitting it all in and giving enough recovery time is tough.

There are others on these boards who are much more seasoned at balancing it all - maybe they have some thoughts.

2009-07-16 12:47 PM

Expert
Missouri
Just wanted to say Hi! and welcome to BT!  I'm also originally from RW and came over here when I decided to do my first tri.  I did mine on an old mountain bike with road tires and it worked OK (I was slow but I made it through).  I've been training for a half marathon - or trying to at leastSmile, I'm dealing with an injury at the moment - along with the tri training.  I just took one of the plans on here and adjusted the run workouts to what I needed to do for my half.  Sorry I can't help with the swimming, I'm still working on that myself.  

Janet 
2009-07-16 9:41 PM

Thanks for the info so far.  Glad to type with you again Soccermom15.  I will check out the training plans and see from there.

Thanks.
2009-07-16 11:15 PM

Extreme Veteran

I've got Chicago and Disney this year and have done 2 sprints so far (3rd this weekend and then one the weekend after). Been working the training around my marathon training. I only run 3-4 days a week and my mileage is much less than yours but i'm typically alternating run/swim/run/swim/bike/run/swim or something along those lines depending on what my long run for the weekend will be, etc.

Welcome and you'll enjoy it!
Derek

2009-07-17 7:05 AM

Master
Charlotte
Venomized...check out this plan:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novice3.htm

I am currently doing what you are looking to do.  I am currently 4 weeks into my marathon plan while I still have two more tri's on the schedule. 

Personally I am doing Higdon Novice 2 plan while also swimming and bike 3x each per week.  It makes for no "off" days but on Mon/Fri all I do is swim so that is my off day for my legs anyways.

My typical schedule:
Mon - Easy Swim
Tues - Med Run - High rpm Bike
Wed - Hard Swim - Tempo Run
Thur - Easy Run - Fast/short bike
Fri - Med Swim
Sat - Long Run
Sun - Long Ride

So far it has been fairly easy to get everything in w/o being pooped.  I have no time to do speedwork for the 5k distance of the sprint but I hope the longer distance at least helps.

For my Swim and Bike workouts, I just kinda make them up.  I look at some of the sprint plans here on BT and pick and choose workouts to fit into my schedule.

Good Luck! 

2009-07-17 7:16 AM

Veteran
I did this last year about this time for the KC marathon and the MS 150 along with some late season triathlons.

I used Hal Higdons Int. plan to get miles for each week, but my basic format was the following:

Monday: recovery run-about 4 or 5 miles
Tuesday: Masters Swim at my local gym
Wednesday: longer mid-week run
Thursday: Masters Swim at my local gym
Friday: Speed Work at the school by my house (800 repeats was my favorite)
Saturday: Long Ride and a Long Swim
Sunday: Long Run

Good Luck!
2009-07-17 7:34 AM

Master
Raleigh
i'm also in marathon training for my event in Nov.

I 've completed 2 tris so far this summer and have an oly in oct. I feel that incorporating tri training into your marathon trainin helps to keep the monotony of the running down.

As others have said, work on your swimming endurance- this is usually a triathletes weakest point. follow a plan to help keep you on track. I used a modifed plan of this:

http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

For the bike, i suggest you get in the saddle on the weekends and get some long rides in. whether it be on the mtb or not, u need saddle time. borrow a friends road bike is needed, or rent a bike from the LBS. 7 miles on a bike is cake in comparison to full on pedaling 17miles in a sprint race. try some hill sprints to get you used to the changin dynamics of riding.

For the runs, we've got a leg up on this as an endurance runner, you just full gas 3 miles afterwards...while it may sound simple and short, running 3 mi after all the energy swimming and biking took out of you can prove o be difficult at times.

good luck and get out there and train!
2009-07-17 7:47 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I'm doing two olympics at the end of September followed by the Ragnar Relay (running relay across Maryland) and two marathons (Baltimore and MCM).  My main training focus is the marathons.  So swim is getting basically zero right now and cycling is minimal.  But I also have a ton of miles/yards "in the bank" that I will rely on for my tri.

If you want to run a Spring and a Fall and mix in some tris over the Summer, that is easily accomplished - as long as you do not have high expectations for the tris.  I would suggest mapping out the minimum you want to hit for your marathon training and have that all planned out (16 - 18 week training block).  Then you can fill in the blanks as needed for the tri training for the rest of the season and plan.
2009-07-17 8:01 AM

Thanks.  I had never seen the Novice 3 plan before.  I like that it is a bi training process. 

Right now for Chicago I am training usung a Pfitzinger 18/55 plan to train for Chicago.  It has me running 5 days per week at the moment so once I start my tri training I will need to find a plan that will work better.  The Pfitzinger plan is aggressive.  10 mile weekday runs and a weekend long run.  Last week I put 20 in and it was the end of week 5 of 18 weeks.  This is a cutback week and I will still be running 37 miles.  So far I have averaged 30 miles per week.

I have a 7 mile run route that I will double up on the bike soon and see how I feel after it.

2009-07-17 8:25 AM

Master
Hey and Welcome,
I recently read the runners world book, Run Less, Run faster. You could use a modified version of the FIRST training plan and use the bike and swim as cross training.
It wouldn't mean you would fly at the tri, but you would be in a good place to finish without a problem, and would probably be in good shape for the run.
I am using a modifcation on it, but that is what I have been working on.
I have Marine Corps in Oct, Miami Man Oly in Nov and Goofy in Jan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitting Tri Training into Marathon Training Questions Rss Feed