General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two HIMS, five weeks apart Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-17 12:50 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Two HIMS, five weeks apart

Question time!
I am registered for Longhorn 70.3 on October 25. Planned on this being my "A" race to end the season. Woot!

Today I found out that Redman Half (Oklahoma City) opened up slots as it was previously sold out. I did this race last year and loved it. It will be on September 19, approximately five weeks before Longhorn. I was originally planning on doing the Oly at Redman, but now am thinking about the Half.

PROS (doing the Half)
- I know I will be physically ready for the race. I am not worried about training volume. Woot!
- My boyfriend will be doing the Half - it's always fun to do races together. Additionally, I have another handful of friends who are all doing the Half.
- I did this race last year so I know what I'm up against. I would be fun to compare times on the same course, something I haven't been able to do for a 70.3 yet.
- I was planning on being there already - it's not like I have to plan another whole trip.

CONS (doing the Oly)
- Registration fee of $225 Half vs. $100 Oly
- The Half is the day before the Oly. I would spectate the half and know I'd wish I was racing it. I want to be a cool kid!
- The unknown of how this will affect my "A" race five weeks later. Do you think it will, or will I be able to take a few days off and pick right back up for a three more solid training weeks before another taper?

Whatcha think?

2009-07-17 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2292092

User image

Subject: RE: Two HIMS, five weeks apart
If money isn't an issue, I wouldn't see any training deficits.  Build up to it, do a mini taper, as you said two days after, then a build for the A taper.
2009-07-17 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2292092

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Two HIMS, five weeks apart
I did two HIM's two weeks apart in June and survived. My second was my A race while the first was a good consistent effort without pushing too hard. Really focused on being strong but measured in my output. I shut it down a little early in the run also to save my legs.

It did affect my second race but not as much as I thought it would and I'm on the slow side as far as recovery. With having five weeks between races and having experience with the distance I think you would be just fine. I would caution you on just picking back up a full training regimen after just a few days though. I'd stay light for at least a week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two HIMS, five weeks apart Rss Feed