General Discussion Triathlon Talk » orange county tri vs. los angeles tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-18 1:49 AM

User image

Veteran
SoCal
Subject: orange county tri vs. los angeles tri
Hey guys, I need some advice...i was already planning to do the la triathlon, but after seeing that they have changed the bike route, im a bit more hesitant, only because the oc is closer..and actually i wanted to do the la tri for the experience of being with elite athletes and the scenic route, but what do you guys think? is the change of the bike route a big deal?...and i haven't heard too much about the oc tri...how is it?..thanks

2009-07-18 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2293041

User image

Subject: RE: orange county tri vs. los angeles tri

I did LA a couple years ago.  Had they not changed the bike course, it's something I would do again.  Now, I can't ever see paying that much money to ride up and down Olympic.      There may be some race reports from OC, although it's pretty new (second year?)     I have heard that Carpinteria is an excellent race to do, if you are looking for a late season alternative

2009-07-19 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
The price tag for both of those races is pretty stinking steep for a sprint tri.  What is the deal?  Ouch!
2009-07-19 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

I have LA the last four years ,  but will do Carpinteria this year  as it less $$ and  the course is  better :  prettier / hillier / no repeat  scenery . 

It is very cool  to see the Pros/Elites race in LA ,    they go first  and with the wave starts they will be done and gone  by the time you get on your bike .  So you will  see  them swim a very fast mile and transition to bike  in a few seconds .  But you could  do all that  without spending the  $165-185  for the race .

2009-07-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2294429

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
van_paulus - 2009-07-19 11:37 AM

I have LA the last four years ,  but will do Carpinteria this year  as it less $$ and  the course is  better :  prettier / hillier / no repeat  scenery . 

It is very cool  to see the Pros/Elites race in LA ,    they go first  and with the wave starts they will be done and gone  by the time you get on your bike .  So you will  see  them swim a very fast mile and transition to bike  in a few seconds .  But you could  do all that  without spending the  $165-185  for the race .

Or go out to Zuma for the Malibu Oly and see them start, come through both transitions, and finish all in the same place.  Last year:  Macca (Oly relay + the Sunday sprint), Reed, Kemper, Lavelle, Swail...not a bad bunch...a lot of the same athletes as at LA Tri, actually, without the drawback of the point-to-point course.

Just sayin'.
2009-07-19 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2294467

User image

tcovert - 2009-07-19 12:12 PM
van_paulus - 2009-07-19 11:37 AM

Or go out to Zuma for the Malibu Oly and see them start, come through both transitions, and finish all in the same place.  Last year:  Macca (Oly relay + the Sunday sprint), Reed, Kemper, Lavelle, Swail...not a bad bunch...a lot of the same athletes as at LA Tri, actually, without the drawback of the point-to-point course.

Just sayin'.

Don't forget J Lo, McConnaughy, Cryer, etc etc    I was at Playa del Run today, and the  guy that played Hasselhoff's kid was there doing his first multisport event.   AHhhh, L.A.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » orange county tri vs. los angeles tri Rss Feed