General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardiac Events Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-19 9:28 AM

Subject: Cardiac Events
Hi Everyone,

Recently I read an article about Triathlon deaths.  It's amazing how cardiologists, journalists and the American Heart Association can't put 2 and 2 together. 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/03/triathlons-and-marathons-are-amazing-fitness-feats-of-fitness-but-neither-one-is-without-risks-dehydration-exhaustion-bro.html

Article(s) seem to minimize talking about the swim and prefer to remark about triathlons as a whole.  We know that the swim start can be far more stressful than any footrace start (especially when physical contact comes into play).  Couple that with the fact that most heart attacks occur in the MORNING between 6am and noon (when all swim starts occur) and that most do not come from a swimming background,  it becomes fairly obvious why there is a higher incidence of cardiac events in the swim portion of a triathlon.  

I decided to play guinea pig here and ran a few tests of my own.

I have no preexisting condition, have below normal BP and my RHR is 54 and slowing as training progresses.  I understand that my data comes from running and not swimming but I don't have an aquatic research facility.  I can only theorize/extrapolate that it may also happen in a swim.

I have noted that when I run early in the morning I get a significant momentary HR spike on a 4% grade incline that I never see during any other time of the day for any training session.  It lasts no longer than 20 seconds.  I thought it was a problem with the monitor but I tested it over 2 weeks and I could not dismiss the results as anomalous.  Granted a max heart rate for 20 seconds isn't necessarily dangerous or fatal but in an unfit or untrained individual it can have adverse effects.   Distances were 6 miles and 24 hours of rest were between each workout in series.  In each case the hill was climbed in 2 minutes.

Morning Temp/Max HR on the 'hill' on a tempo run RPE 4-5  (6:30am-7:30am)
70F/210
67F/206
68F/202

Evening Temp/Max HR on the 'hill' on a tempo run RPE 4-5  (5:30pm-7:00pm)
78F/172
83F/175
72F/167

Under normal circumstances and time trial testing I have never been able to get my HR above 192 (Per Joe Friel -- Total heart rate training) and it required an RPE of 8 or 9 at an air temp of around 90 degrees.  I've eased off of early morning tempo/speed runs and save those for the evening where the HR stays in a normal range. 

Has anyone else noticed any morning cardiac "Anomaly" in their training?

2009-07-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2294189

NE Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Cardiac Events
Thanks for posting. Being relatively new, I don't keep track of my heart rate as I should. But I have noticed that at the start of OWS the combination of "adrenaline", cold water, problems keeping food down and wetsuit constriction give me a feeling like my heart is going to pound out my chest.

The article says 13/14 deaths occurred during the swim. That certainly tells you what most of us know...this sport and the swim particularly is not without risk. How much is still to be determined. I was glad the article was vague rather than creating hysteria without research to back up conclusions. I wonder where the research into triathlon safety is being done. It must be complex since the venues are so different even depending on the weather that day. Maybe we should be having races in the evening! Our cortisol levels are probably lower then. I can't remember any more physiology that could explain early am increased HR.

All I know is, I love getting to T1! It's a relief for me.
Anne

2009-07-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2294189

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Subject: RE: Cardiac Events
I am interested in this topic as well. I see less of a spike in HR with a good 30-40 min warm up, yea seems like a long time but the results are fantastic. Seems most injury including myocardial infarction could be a result of too much, too soon. Without a proper warm up it is not possible to pre oxygenate vital muscle.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cardiac Events Rss Feed