General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help Overcoming Swimming Sickness. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-04 4:15 PM

Subject: I need help Overcoming Swimming Sickness.
I did a marathon recently and am now training for a Half-tri in August. I just got back from the pool from my first swim and I have a problem. After only a quarter of a mile a had what felt like motion sickness pretty bad. I realize it is pretty ridiculous to get sea sick in a pool. I have always been prone to motion sickness in cars and boats, however I have never had any trouble with vertigo. I was a lifegaurd for many summers so I have been in the water quite a bit but have never really done this endurance type swimming. My question is, is there any way to overcome this sickness or should I just go back to Marathoning? Thanks for any help.

Adam

2005-05-04 4:43 PM
in reply to: #152670

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: I need help Overcoming Swimming Sickness.
Could it be from swallowing air?
2005-05-04 4:50 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Could it be a result of hyperventalating when swimming?  If you swim at an easy, controlled pace, doers it still occur?  I sometimes get a little nauseous when swimming in the ocean (especially if I throw some backstroke in).
2005-05-04 4:50 PM
in reply to: #152685

Well, I guess I'm not expierienced enough to know. What does swallowing air mean? I really think it is motion sickness because I have remained slightly sick for several hours now.
2005-05-04 4:51 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Could it because of water getting into your ears? I had the same problem when I first started swimming and I thought of taking dramamine or other motion sickness medicine, but someone suggested that I used ear plugs, and it worked.
2005-05-04 5:11 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Might be a number of different things. I don't get motion sickness, but sometimes on a swim, I start "thinking" about where I am looking when I breathe, and I get messed up (read: queasy). If I do what comes naturally, I don't have this problem. Some quesitons for you to ponder:

How often do you breathe? Was it a tough swim for you today? Did you push too hard for being back in the pool for the first time? Were you doing long sets, or taking frequent breaks? Do you roll from side to side a lot while swimming (I realize there are some drills for this, but too much movement could make one woozy). Do you do flip turns? Are you getting water in your ears or nose? Are you swallowing water?

Don't give up yet... give yourself some time to get used to swimming again. If you can, have someone watch you swim and they might be able to give you a few pointers to help you out.

Good luck!
Sarah

2005-05-04 5:18 PM

Sarasota, FL
I have had many ear surgeries so I can understand your concerns. I would first try a swim cap pulled over your ears, then ear plugs...and if these things don't work, you might want to try medication. The type of stroke matters...you will be less likely to get it with breast or back than with free. Also, try to keep your eyes steady (I know, easier said than done). Good luck!
2005-05-04 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Do you have sinus issues or allergies? I know people who have developed motion sickness while swimming with a sinus infection - something about all the fluids/mucus sloshing around in the sinus cavities triggering a motion sickness reaction. One person in particular often takes Sudafed Sinus Non-Drowsy formula before swimming to avoid this reaction.

Are you swimming really hard when this happens? If you slow down does the effect diminish?

2005-05-04 5:51 PM

Pebble Beach, CA
Its funny you should mention this, because just recently I started coming home at night and I had dizzyness (after swimming) well I freaked out because I never had it happen in all the years I have been swimming. Well, my husband said you probably have water in your ears, and I thought-thats dumb-its never happened before! So I finally went and bought those waxy type ear plugs they sell at the drugstore, and it hasn't happened since! You might want to try it.
2005-05-04 5:57 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
my partner puked after her first three swim lessons (I'm her coach, so blame me, I guess, for making her go back!) We got her nose plugs, and she practiced TI drills instead of trying to swim and it hasn't happneed since. (the sickiness) I think she was nervous, was swallowing water, and generally not used to the movement. with TI she learned to control the rock, and to stop fighting the water and she can now swim 4 whole laps without stopping!

I say, slow down. practice floating and rocking. if you feel the slightest bit sick, stop and try again later.
2005-05-04 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
I read about something like this on another forum. I think it was Swimmers vertigo. Was the water cold in the pool? Earplugs were the suggested solution.

2005-05-05 1:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
I get motion sick everytime I swim. It's funny to watch me get out of the pool. It looks like I'm drunk. The Dr. said mine was from head motion since I have very bad sinuses and get motion sick if I turn around once. I helped mine by really focusing on a very even rythm with minimal head movement.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help Overcoming Swimming Sickness. Rss Feed