of 2

2009-07-21 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2299878

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: The root of America's weight problem
cardenas1 - 2009-07-21 3:02 PM

Go to any county fair and you will get a taste of what average America is turning into. Another great example is at Disneyworld. Compare the International Tourists with those from America and the lifestyle choices are beyond obvious. The following were selling like crazy at the fair this weekend:
Chocolate covered Bacon
Deep Fried Twinkies/Snickers
Elephant ears, cotton candy etc.
I am not saying everyone should fit into the same box, but there is a balance.

Oh - how I agree with this post. I live in a tourist town, and the North American tourists vs the tourists from everywhere else strikes such a large contrast.

Also - as a nutritionist - I am forever frustrated by people who come to me whining that I am not covered by their health plan ... all these services to fix you once you are broken are covered - but the services to prevent said breakage is out of your own pocket. Very off-putting for those trying to make a big healthy change in their lives.

2009-07-21 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2299275

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
See a dietician+get better nutritional habits+extend your life = active lifestyle injuries(tears, sprains, broken bones and sundry orthopedic repairs)+longer lifespan (more time for said injuries+diseases associated with aging including strokes, dementia, and joint replacements) = more $$$$ paid over life cycle by insurer

VS.

No dietitician+slug lifestyle = die at 50 of MI/Diabetes/Colon Cancer/Other obesity related disease = less $$$ paid over lifecycle

Seems to me the insurance companies are looking at the bigger picture.  Now sit down, shut up, eat a cheeseburger, and smoke that cigarette!
2009-07-21 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2299995

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
rkreuser - 2009-07-21 4:02 PM
- Ride your bike, the rest of the world does. And walk (or run), everywhere you can. Or swim. Or whatever.
- Keep hobbies that are healthy for the mind and body. Step away from the video games.  
- Eat something healthy. Our labeling system rocks, FWIW. And no culture has the available selection of fresh fruts and veggies we have in the US.   
- Don't eat the entire On the Border Wet Burrito Platter. That's too much food.  Real portion sizes, real food.  

It's absolutely no secret how we got where we are. And the solution is the same as it was 100 years ago, 10 years ago...stay active, eat well in moderation, and *poof* good to go.   

y4&^

Oops, meant to type "x2", but I spilled my 32oz. Mountain Dew reaching for some more fries.

(Just joshin' -- I totally agree with everything you said.)
2009-07-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2300161

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2300407

Champion
the colony texas
i think the best money I spent was really an investment.. .

One of the local RD is does a package of 4 visits with one of them is her going to a grocery store with you to show you how much crap is in some food, what to buy and meal planning.  Even if she was covered by my insurance it was less than what my deductible is so I would have paid it anyway\

I'll admit I don't follow all of the advice all of the time,, but at least I feel more empowered
2009-07-21 9:41 PM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
SweetK - 2009-07-21 9:52 PM  The simple solution is to eat less and exercise, but honestly we have become an instant gratification society where where many people can't wait for anything because they need it immediately. We thrive on convenience versus patience of not too long ago.

Agreed on all fronts. The question is...whose issue is it that that's the way it is?

The point of what I posted was it's not the government's problem, and insurance problem, or a corporate problem to manage weight and diet....It's an individual responsibility to  learn about and  be judicious with what you put in your bod, and how much you exercise to tone your bod.

It's not OK to let 'society said' be the excuse for the fast food revolution, that's eschewing individual responsibility.  If you can spend $7 on a Super-Sized #3, I'm sure you could make your way to a subway for $4, or the grocery store and get three healthy sandwiches worth of stuff for less than $7.  

Yeah, fast food is there. Yeah, it's easy. Yeah, you KNOW I partake in it (at least the diet pepsi and mcmuffin food groups). But I accept responsibility for it as a choice, no one's forcing me to do that.  I understand that government policies may make these less-than-healthy foods much more affordable than healthy ones, but government does what we, the peeps, vote for. And apparently we've voted for cheap, easy, and unhealthy...again, an individual choice. 

2009-07-21 9:54 PM

Master
Highlands Ranch

70% of care costs incurred under the current system are a direct result of pro-actively preventable conditions.  If everyone gets healthy that's a lot of profit vanishing into thin air.  It actually wouldn't hurt the economy though, since we'd be free to spend and invest that savings at our collective and individual discretion, instead of the health-care industry's.  Health insurance enterprises would go the way of the printed news sheet...forced to innovate.

Shame on you for wanting to punish an entire industry that way...

Edited by StMaas 2009-07-21 9:58 PM
2009-07-21 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2300493

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
rkreuser - 2009-07-21 10:41 PM

SweetK - 2009-07-21 9:52 PM  The simple solution is to eat less and exercise, but honestly we have become an instant gratification society where where many people can't wait for anything because they need it immediately. We thrive on convenience versus patience of not too long ago.

Agreed on all fronts. The question is...whose issue is it that that's the way it is?

The point of what I posted was it's not the government's problem, and insurance problem, or a corporate problem to manage weight and diet....It's an individual responsibility to  learn about and  be judicious with what you put in your bod, and how much you exercise to tone your bod.

It's not OK to let 'society said' be the excuse for the fast food revolution, that's eschewing individual responsibility.  If you can spend $7 on a Super-Sized #3, I'm sure you could make your way to a subway for $4, or the grocery store and get three healthy sandwiches worth of stuff for less than $7.  

Yeah, fast food is there. Yeah, it's easy. Yeah, you KNOW I partake in it (at least the diet pepsi and mcmuffin food groups). But I accept responsibility for it as a choice, no one's forcing me to do that.  I understand that government policies may make these less-than-healthy foods much more affordable than healthy ones, but government does what we, the peeps, vote for. And apparently we've voted for cheap, easy, and unhealthy...again, an individual choice. 

That is my point. The individual needs help getting the right information. A dietician/nutritionist can help with that at a very low cost (to an insurer). The market produces unhealthy food and the regular American Joe/sephine struggles to sift through all the information that is thrown at them. I too, am big on personal responsibility. Here is a example where the individual takes the initiative to meet with a professional to correct problems before they start. This IS individual responsibility. Noone is forcing me to go (except my wife...).
2009-07-21 10:02 PM

Elite
SweetK - 2009-07-21 9:52 PM

The government likes farmers to plant lots of corn and soybeans and factory farm lots of animals fed the wrong diets in order to allow us to buy the cheap convenience foods loaded with fat, HFCS and refined grains.

We have a two-fold problem...if the government mandates that our food pyramid is in fact incorrect (and it is...read "Food Politics" by Marion Nestle) you will see that the economy relies on this farming and cheap fatty protein sources. The outcome of all these cheap food sources is a diet sufficiently high in calories, low in nutrients and poor health. I read that back in the 1950's, we only had enough planted goods to support 700 calories in the american diet compared to now where we produce about 3,000 calories per US person after sending supplies to other foreign nations. We clearly have a surplus. In order to rid of this surplus, "super size" and "mega" portions are offered, buffets are aplenty and so on.

So what do we do? The obvious is to produce less but it may crash the agriculture sector? Or keep producing like we are doing now and continue to fuel our health problems, as well as the rest of worlds who chooses to consume the western diet. The government does not pay the "organic" farmer to produce healthier goods - that is why they are so expensive. Also companies like ConAgra and ADM cannot control the seeds, they like farmers to buy their genetically altered seeds every year...therefore there is no such thing as heirloom varieties with those companies. We would rather convert corn into 40,000 products, yes thats true - corn is converted into 40,000 products - quite amazing actually.

The simple solution is to eat less and exercise, but honestly we have become an instant gratification society where where many people can't wait for anything because they need it immediately. We thrive on convenience versus patience of not too long ago.

As usual Kristen, you have a well thought out and well supported post.

To add to it, corn isn't just a food product, now it's an energy source. What did that do to the price of a staple?
2009-07-21 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2300523

Master
Highlands Ranch

Next time you go to the market, try reading one label per aisle.

Odds are you'll swap at least 2/3 of the items for something that costs a little more but has healthier/better quality ingredients.

2009-07-21 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2300523

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
D.Z. - 2009-07-21 10:59 PM
rkreuser - 2009-07-21 10:41 PM

That is my point. The individual needs help getting the right information.

That's where we disagree.

The individual, between labels, the food pyramid (which isn't all that far off), the interwebs, and people around them have the ability to put their diet into the 99th percentile of good by doing some very basic things that don't require a dietician.  Especially someone on a triathlon site with access to the nutrition forum. But I digress. 

My point is...it's not the government's job, or insurance company's job, to get anyone the right information. Those two entities, at the end of the day, only have economic reasons for providing the 'right' information, and the information may be tainted by their corporate policies or lobbyists.

People should want that information first and foremost because it relates to what you're about to put in your body, and that's the only one they get. I'm completely going to struggle to understand any argument that makes it anything other than an individual's responsibility to know what they're putting in their mouth. Especially with our labeling system...can't get much easier.   

2009-07-22 2:08 AM

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I will say that insurance companies are coming around, to a certain extent. At least now a bunch of them HAVE wellness programs at all. I remember back in 2001 begging my insurance company to cover the cost of a gym (lived in an area where outside exercise during winter wasn't happening), and they just kind of went, "Um, huh?" Now, all the policies I've seen recently have at least a $200 benefit to offset any number of programs, including gym memberships. So, we're getting somewhere, I think.

And I agree, competition will only work when the CONSUMER makes the decision. Until then, we're screwed.
2009-07-22 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2300574

Elite
rkreuser - 2009-07-21 11:26 PM

D.Z. - 2009-07-21 10:59 PM That is my point. The individual needs help getting the right information.

That's where we disagree.

The individual, between labels, the food pyramid (which isn't all that far off), the interwebs, and people around them have the ability to put their diet into the 99th percentile of good by doing some very basic things that don't require a dietician.  Especially someone on a triathlon site with access to the nutrition forum. But I digress. 

My point is...it's not the government's job, or insurance company's job, to get anyone the right information. Those two entities, at the end of the day, only have economic reasons for providing the 'right' information, and the information may be tainted by their corporate policies or lobbyists.

People should want that information first and foremost because it relates to what you're about to put in your body, and that's the only one they get. I'm completely going to struggle to understand any argument that makes it anything other than an individual's responsibility to know what they're putting in their mouth. Especially with our labeling system...can't get much easier.   

As Kristen so eloquently pointed out, the food pyramid is corporate interest, not public health related.

True, the labels have gotten much better, but when companies can put whatever they want on a label without much expectation of accuracy, how can the average person make informed decisions?

You site corporate policies and lobbyists of the insurance carriers being a cause for concern. I would say that the corporate policies and lobbyists of the food companies are just as bad.

To be honest, my title was tongue and cheek, and I don't firmly believe that the root of obesity in America is the lack of insurance coverage for a dietician. I do, however, think that it makes sense (i.e. is logical) to expect a health insurance company to have a vested interest in ensuring that their insureds have access to good health advice. This isn't just a doctor telling you to eat less and exercise more. It's about eat less, and eat this. Offering a benefit makes good business sense if it means their insureds are able to control their blood pressure/cholesterol/etc through diet.

And to expect the average American to stop by a tri related website to get food and nutrition information is asking too much. Considering that as of 2007, 66% of Americans had access to the internets, there's a few million people who simply CAN'T get that info. Relying on the food pyramid is no guarantee.
2009-07-22 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2300431

Regular
Ruckersville
Gaarryy - 2009-07-21 9:03 PM i think the best money I spent was really an investment.. .

One of the local RD is does a package of 4 visits with one of them is her going to a grocery store with you to show you how much crap is in some food, what to buy and meal planning.  Even if she was covered by my insurance it was less than what my deductible is so I would have paid it anyway\

I'll admit I don't follow all of the advice all of the time,, but at least I feel more empowered

This is probably at least part of the reason things like this aren't covered. There's no guarantee of a return on the investment. (Not picking on you personally Gaarryy!)
2009-07-22 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2300840

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
D.Z. - 2009-07-22 8:11 AM And to expect the average American to stop by a tri related website to get food and nutrition information is asking too much. Considering that as of 2007, 66% of Americans had access to the internets, there's a few million people who simply CAN'T get that info. Relying on the food pyramid is no guarantee.

How did people know what to eat before the internet?
2009-07-22 7:54 AM

Regular
Ruckersville
People actually didn't eat before the internet.

2009-07-22 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2300935

Elite
mattierocks - 2009-07-22 8:54 AM

People actually didn't eat before the internet.

Thanks for the smarmy reply.

Nor has the available food changed in the last 50 years. People were gulping down HFCS, monosodium glutamate and deep fried snickers bars at since the end of WWII.

2009-07-22 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2301020

Regular
Ruckersville
D.Z. - 2009-07-22 8:21 AM
mattierocks - 2009-07-22 8:54 AM People actually didn't eat before the internet.
Thanks for the smarmy reply. Nor has the available food changed in the last 50 years. People were gulping down HFCS, monosodium glutamate and deep fried snickers bars at since the end of WWII.

Sorry... forgot the sarc font... And to quote the post immediately prior.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The root of America's weight problem Rss Feed  

of 2