Other Resources Challenge Me! » Swim Challenge injury exceptions??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-05 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Subject: Swim Challenge injury exceptions???
Umm....

Just wondering (on behalf of members of both teams...)

What if someone is injured or becomes significantly ill? Are there provisions for reducing the pledge or an "honorable discharge"??

Just wondering, since my shoulder has decided to be quite painful (nearly immobilizingly so) today ...

Seems like such unforseen circumstances should be grounds for some form of exception, no?

On the other hand, a DNF is a DNF is a DNF...

Opinions?

2005-05-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #153125

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Swim Challenge injury exceptions???
I think if a qualified medical professional tells you not to swim, that should count as a valid DNF ( and allow one to be excused ).

-Chris
2005-05-05 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
i just excused myself from run challenge. there is no way I am going to risk messing with ITB issues, not even for pride and love of team..... I think if you have been on track to meet your goals, or bail early enough, you should be OK...
(easy for me to say!)
2005-05-05 4:47 PM

User image

Buttercup

I can't speak for Joel, but my thinking is that, as we are all on the honor system, we should respect when someone tells us they are truly injured and physically incapable of training. It's all about honor, right?

On the other hand, some judgment call may need to be made. If, for example, someone gets swimmers shoulder because they overdo it and don't rest enough then I'm not so sure we should automatically give them a free pass. The whole point it to reach an achievable goal, achievable meaning it's within our means given the time and will. Make sense?

2005-05-05 10:35 PM

Regular
Atlanta, GA
In my opinion, the deadline to submit your final prediction is tomorrow (Friday) at noon. Anyone should be able to withdraw their goal before that time as well, with no penalty.

After tomorrow, I would have to say that injuries are something that we all have to deal with, but at the same time, most are preventable through proper monitoring of our training and use of recovery days. The whole point of the monthly challenges is not to try and show off to everyone else on BT how many laps you can do or how far you can ride or run. The purpose is to make all of us put in writing a realistic goal that we can acheive in the given month, with a little incentive to actually hit that goal.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are all responsible people here and hopefully we all made careful considerations when setting our monthly goals. If an unforeseen injury/illness/business trip arises, do what you have to in order to take care of your body and don't worry about hurting the team, however your score will still count. The lowest percentage will be thrown out anyway, so it might not even affect the team score. Let everyone know that you probably won't be able to hit your mark and the rest of the team can try their best to make up for it. After all, that is what teammates are for, right?
2005-05-06 10:28 AM
in reply to: #153431

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I'm going to agree.  Anyone can change their goal or drop completely through noon today.  After that the true challenge starts and we all need to make responsible decisions for ourselves...including a realistic, yet challenging, goal.  I was feeling a little burnt this morning and my shoulders are certainly getting fatigued from a heavy week but I'll just have to suck it up and take a couple days rest.  Now, if someone gets injured in a non-sports incident, like a car accident or something then I think we can probably all agree to something fair.

csmaurer99 - 2005-05-05 10:35 PM In my opinion, the deadline to submit your final prediction is tomorrow (Friday) at noon. Anyone should be able to withdraw their goal before that time as well, with no penalty. After tomorrow, I would have to say that injuries are something that we all have to deal with, but at the same time, most are preventable through proper monitoring of our training and use of recovery days. The whole point of the monthly challenges is not to try and show off to everyone else on BT how many laps you can do or how far you can ride or run. The purpose is to make all of us put in writing a realistic goal that we can acheive in the given month, with a little incentive to actually hit that goal. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are all responsible people here and hopefully we all made careful considerations when setting our monthly goals. If an unforeseen injury/illness/business trip arises, do what you have to in order to take care of your body and don't worry about hurting the team, however your score will still count. The lowest percentage will be thrown out anyway, so it might not even affect the team score. Let everyone know that you probably won't be able to hit your mark and the rest of the team can try their best to make up for it. After all, that is what teammates are for, right?

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Swim Challenge injury exceptions??? Rss Feed