General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Augusta 70.3 Bike Route Review (kinda long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2338219

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-08-10 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2338238

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Augusta 70.3 Bike Route Review (kinda long)
Mission accomplished ... this is an awesome bike course. I suspect that there will be more than one PR established on the route that was designed.

Rusty Ironman - 2009-08-10 10:19 AM
brian - 2009-08-10 10:15 AM
Rusty Ironman - 2009-08-10 7:24 AM Main area to be cautious is the downhill right after the DAM HILL on Gray Mare Hollow; its fast, then u have sharp right turn onto Silver Bluff.

That sharp right turn is not your standard 90* but more like 130* ... meaning that you have to almost turn back on yourself.  Further, the turn come up suddenly as it is not readiliy apparant  and, as Rusty mentions, it comes during a relatively fast downhill descent .  Add those factors together with a crowded field and there is the potential for some serious bike mishaps at this intersection

Other than that, the bike course is awesome.  There are a couple roads where you will need to watch your rear mounted bottles but nothing like the teeth jarring stretch at the SC HIM.

Am sure they will have volunteer at the top of last drop before silver bluff warning cyclist to slow down......We were trying to make a scenic, relatively fast course, with some fun downhills and at most long grinders. 
2009-08-10 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2338219

Veteran

brian - 2009-08-10 10:15 AM
Rusty Ironman - 2009-08-10 7:24 AM Main area to be cautious is the downhill right after the DAM HILL on Gray Mare Hollow; its fast, then u have sharp right turn onto Silver Bluff.

That sharp right turn is not your standard 90* but more like 130* ... meaning that you have to almost turn back on yourself.  Further, the turn come up suddenly as it is not readiliy apparant  and, as Rusty mentions, it comes during a relatively fast downhill descent .  Add those factors together with a crowded field and there is the potential for some serious bike mishaps at this intersection

I agree, that corner is a cause for a little concern.  I recommend they put barricades or cones, about 100 yds from the corner, alternately blocking the left lane, then right lane, then left lane, like chicanes in sports car racing, so everyone has to slow down.  But not at the corner, set them ahead far enough so we can be clear of the obstacles before focusing on the corner. 

While having a volunteer shouting and waving a sign is thoughtful.  In my experience it's only slightly effective.  It is hard to get the attention of focused racers.

Bill

2009-09-04 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2304899

Expert
Wellington, Florida
Subject: Augusta 70.3 Bike Route Review (kinda long)
OK.... Just a re-post for anyone NEW looking for info on the ride.
3 weeks!!! Time to get excited!!

Just back from riding the Augusta 70.3 Bike Route (1 loop, 56mi.)
Right off the bat, let me say this. I have been doing Tri's for 5 years now and have lived and trained in Georgia for those 5 years, so those people reading this from other states please remember I write this from a "Georgia" training on hills, point of view.
People who live and train in Georgia are going to LOVE this course. Its nothing you haven't seen or trained on already. Let me say that again, ITS NOTHING YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE!!
On a Georgia difficulty scale of 1-10, I gave it a 5!!! Fun, challenging, but wont kill you.
If you have done the West Point Lake Oly, that 24mi course is HARDER then this one.
Who ever laid out the route, Congrats!! There is something for everyone. Flats, short leg burner climbs 6-8%, longer grinder climbs 2-3%, slight downhill sections to max out the big ring -1-4%, etc.
I did the ride with my wife Ann and she is still building for Augusta as this will be her first attempt at a 70.3.
So we just took it easy and made it an enjoyable ride/day.
We stopped twice. Once at the Hot Spot on Whiskey Rd at about mile 24, and again at the quickie mark on Pine Log at about mile 40.
Time: 3:38:52
Total Distance 55.28mi (from transition at the rowing club)
Avg Speed: 15.1
Avg HR 119
Max HR 153
Now for some details:
* Your first real climb isn't until mile 17.2!!
* Heading out of T1 its mostly flat and Old Jackson Hwy is mostly flat and big ring funable. Only a few slight 1-2% rollers. But don't take it out to fast suckers!!!!
* First climb is once you turn on Rt 1 at 17.2 miles. Short 1/4mi climb at about 5-6% Then again at about the 20mi mark.
* Rt 1 is also a bit chippy road surface wise.
* It's mostly flat/rollers thru Whiskey Rd, Old Whiskey Rd, Cherryville Rd, and Woodland.
* Your next hills begin on Gray Mare Hollow, couple of nice grinders at 3-5%, about 1/4 to 1/2 mi long.
* Once you make the turn off Gary Mare onto Silver Bluff there is a good grinder at about 6-8%, short 1/4 mi. Wife threw the chain downshifting.
* On Boyd Pond I say open it up. Nice downhill, twisting sections of - 3-5%. You can easily hit 40mph.
* Biggest longest grinder is on Horse Creek, 2-5% that goes on and off for 2-3 miles.
* New blacktop on Herdon Dairy, nice and smooth.
* Pine Log is mainly flat and can be Hammered. But it is also choppy surface wise with lots of little bumps. We had a slight wind in the face.
* There is a nice, short, downhill section on Pine Log JUST before you hit Atomic. Take advantage of it as it ends into a BIG grinder of 8-12% for about 75-100 ft.
* The first 1-1.5 mi on Atomic heading back into T2 is on rollers then it flattens out and you can really Hammer it or use it as recovery time before crossing the bridge back into Georgia.
* From miles 49 thru 56 is a drop of about 300 ft in elevation.

So there you have it.
Print it, copy it, study it and come prepared!
Also, there are a lot of cool little restaurants in downtown, 2 blocks from the Marriott.
Its going to be packed and I can tell the vibe is going to be great, cant wait.
3 weeks LETS GET EXCITED!!!... its an IRONMAN!!!!
(plus on a personal note, I got my 2010 ride yesterday!!! Dreams DO come true!!)

FM
2009-09-04 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2390575

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
The Cube - 2009-09-04 6:54 PM OK.... Just a re-post for anyone NEW looking for info on the ride. 3 weeks!!! Time to get excited!! Just back from riding the Augusta 70.3 Bike Route (1 loop, 56mi.) Right off the bat, let me say this. I have been doing Tri's for 5 years now and have lived and trained in Georgia for those 5 years, so those people reading this from other states please remember I write this from a "Georgia" training on hills, point of view. People who live and train in Georgia are going to LOVE this course. Its nothing you haven't seen or trained on already. Let me say that again, ITS NOTHING YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE!! On a Georgia difficulty scale of 1-10, I gave it a 5!!! Fun, challenging, but wont kill you. If you have done the West Point Lake Oly, that 24mi course is HARDER then this one. Who ever laid out the route, Congrats!! There is something for everyone. Flats, short leg burner climbs 6-8%, longer grinder climbs 2-3%, slight downhill sections to max out the big ring -1-4%, etc. I did the ride with my wife Ann and she is still building for Augusta as this will be her first attempt at a 70.3. So we just took it easy and made it an enjoyable ride/day. We stopped twice. Once at the Hot Spot on Whiskey Rd at about mile 24, and again at the quickie mark on Pine Log at about mile 40. Time: 3:38:52 Total Distance 55.28mi (from transition at the rowing club) Avg Speed: 15.1 Avg HR 119 Max HR 153 Now for some details: * Your first real climb isn't until mile 17.2!! * Heading out of T1 its mostly flat and Old Jackson Hwy is mostly flat and big ring funable. Only a few slight 1-2% rollers. But don't take it out to fast suckers!!!! * First climb is once you turn on Rt 1 at 17.2 miles. Short 1/4mi climb at about 5-6% Then again at about the 20mi mark. * Rt 1 is also a bit chippy road surface wise. * It's mostly flat/rollers thru Whiskey Rd, Old Whiskey Rd, Cherryville Rd, and Woodland. * Your next hills begin on Gray Mare Hollow, couple of nice grinders at 3-5%, about 1/4 to 1/2 mi long. * Once you make the turn off Gary Mare onto Silver Bluff there is a good grinder at about 6-8%, short 1/4 mi. Wife threw the chain downshifting. * On Boyd Pond I say open it up. Nice downhill, twisting sections of - 3-5%. You can easily hit 40mph. * Biggest longest grinder is on Horse Creek, 2-5% that goes on and off for 2-3 miles. * New blacktop on Herdon Dairy, nice and smooth. * Pine Log is mainly flat and can be Hammered. But it is also choppy surface wise with lots of little bumps. We had a slight wind in the face. * There is a nice, short, downhill section on Pine Log JUST before you hit Atomic. Take advantage of it as it ends into a BIG grinder of 8-12% for about 75-100 ft. * The first 1-1.5 mi on Atomic heading back into T2 is on rollers then it flattens out and you can really Hammer it or use it as recovery time before crossing the bridge back into Georgia. * From miles 49 thru 56 is a drop of about 300 ft in elevation. So there you have it. Print it, copy it, study it and come prepared! Also, there are a lot of cool little restaurants in downtown, 2 blocks from the Marriott. Its going to be packed and I can tell the vibe is going to be great, cant wait. 3 weeks LETS GET EXCITED!!!... its an IRONMAN!!!! (plus on a personal note, I got my 2010 ride yesterday!!! Dreams DO come true!!) FM

or nervous...
2009-09-05 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2304899

Tampa, FL
Several of us are coming from Florida to do the Augusta 70.3. Thanks for the great info on the bike course! Question....We are experienced half ironman triathletes and decent bikers and drive to ride hills a couple times a week...however, although our hills are probably similar in % grade to yours they are not as long (high). Would an 11-25 gearing be OK for these hills? Or would a 27 or more be better? I'd appreciate the input! We are probably not going to be as strong in the hills as those from hillier areas. But we are really looking forward to the fun of this new race! Thanks!

2009-09-05 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2391577

Giver
T. Gail - 2009-09-05 6:00 PM Several of us are coming from Florida to do the Augusta 70.3. Thanks for the great info on the bike course! Question....We are experienced half ironman triathletes and decent bikers and drive to ride hills a couple times a week...however, although our hills are probably similar in % grade to yours they are not as long (high). Would an 11-25 gearing be OK for these hills? Or would a 27 or more be better? I'd appreciate the input! We are probably not going to be as strong in the hills as those from hillier areas. But we are really looking forward to the fun of this new race! Thanks!

11-25 will be plenty.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Augusta 70.3 Bike Route Review (kinda long) Rss Feed  

of 2